KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » More Movie Forums » The Matrix Movies » Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas (not off topic)

Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas (not off topic)
Started by: Sifer

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sifer

Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas (not off topic)

Thought I would post this here. Just some references for which no doubt, the Matrix was inspired from.

In Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas (both book & film) there is one section when Hunter S.Thompson says:

"I recall one night in the Matrix"

Possibly the name was taken from this?

Then there is the Las Vegas Style Bingo hat Hunter S.Thompson wears. The same type of hat is worn by the Keymaker in Reloaded.

Then we have the song "White Rabbit" by Jefferson Airplane which is also featured in Fear & Loathing. The lyrics are:

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small,
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all.
Go ask Alice
When she's ten feet tall.
And if you go chasing rabbits
And you know you're going to fall,
Tell 'em a hookah smoking caterpillar
Has given you the call.
Call Alice
When she was just small.
When the men on the chessboard
Get up and tell you where to go
And you've just had some kind of mushroom
And your mind is moving low.
Go ask Alice
I think she'll know.
When logic and proportion
Have fallen sloppy dead,
And the White Knight is talking backwards
And the Red Queen's "off with her head!"
Remember what the dormouse said:
"Feed your head. Feed your head. Feed your head"

Lots of Alice references in there but no doubt this film had some form of inspiration on the Bros.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2003 02:02 AM
Sifer is currently offline Click here to Send Sifer a Private Message Find more posts by Sifer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sifer

I just thought of another thing with those lyrics:

And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all.

Could this be a reference to the Oracle and all the talk about the red candy she gave to Neo in Reloaded? Or should I say is the Oracle giving the candy a reference to this smile

Old Post Jul 8th, 2003 02:05 AM
Sifer is currently offline Click here to Send Sifer a Private Message Find more posts by Sifer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

"The Matrix", a computer system consisting of a virtual world created out of the minds of millions in which your mental focus affects what you can do inside and in which if you died inside you died for real, in fact comes from several Dr. Who episodes in the 70s, though the purpose of the Dr. Who Matrix was different- that one was designed as a predictive tool, inside which things to come could be foreseen. The idea was that such events could then be possibly avoided, but actually not a single thing predicted by the Matrix in Dr. Who ever failed to happen. Ummm... rather like the Oracle.... hummmmmm!

I hope they don't base too much on Dr. Who, though, because one episode had a 'Matrix-in-a-Matrix' trick in it. Gah.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Jul 8th, 2003 at 11:41 AM

Old Post Jul 8th, 2003 11:36 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Korri

kewl where did u find out all this stuff?

Old Post Jul 8th, 2003 01:44 PM
Korri is currently offline Find more posts by Korri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sifer

Hrmmm Fear & Loathing was written and released in 1971 - so it could be from either. Have you got anything where the Wachowski's confirm any of this?

But we could also say:

Star Trek Borg
Star Trek: Next Generation Episode Ship in a Bottle

And MANY other Star Trek episodes where there is a reality within reality via the use of the Holodeck. In "Ship in a Bottle" the crew trick Moriarty into thinking he is on the real ship when in fact he is still in the Holodeck and lets him continue his existence in a virtual world without his knowledge.

There is another film with the use of collective minds but I cant for the life of me remember what it is. When I remember, I will post it.

Old Post Jul 8th, 2003 07:33 PM
Ikobe
The Swan's Princess

That just got me thinking... suddenly 'Night of the Lepus' playing in the Orcale's flat has more significance...

~Ikobe

Old Post Jul 8th, 2003 07:40 PM
Ikobe is currently offline Click here to Send Ikobe a Private Message Find more posts by Ikobe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote