KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Are comic movies a trend or a new genre?

Are comic movies a trend or a new genre?
Started by: mr.smiley

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
mr.smiley

Are comic movies a trend or a new genre?

Just woundering what every one thought of this.Their are so many Comic movies out and more are yet to come.WIll it fade or will this last for years to come?

http://soundcloud.com/pytt-1

Old Post Jun 16th, 2005 05:34 AM
mr.smiley is currently offline Click here to Send mr.smiley a Private Message Find more posts by mr.smiley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wanderer259

I think it was just a tentative business until X-Men came out and showed the world that superhero movies can be good. That, and comic books have recently become a bit more respectable as an entertainment media. Or so I hear, anyway.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2005 05:35 AM
Wanderer259 is currently offline Click here to Send Wanderer259 a Private Message Find more posts by Wanderer259 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Wanderer259
I think it was just a tentative business until X-Men came out and showed the world that superhero movies can be good. That, and comic books have recently become a bit more respectable as an entertainment media. Or so I hear, anyway.

hate to disagree... embarrasment

but wasnt batman 89 and the superman movies the first ones?

i think they'll go away and come back at some point...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jun 16th, 2005 05:41 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wanderer259

There's a big time gap between Superman and the recent films and any effect Batman '89 had was swiftly overwritten by Schumacher's Batman films.

In all honesty, Marvel probably just wanted some money and started making movies. Now that they've been successful, DC's getting in on it.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2005 05:52 AM
Wanderer259 is currently offline Click here to Send Wanderer259 a Private Message Find more posts by Wanderer259 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

There's a big time gap between Superman and the recent films and any effect Batman '89 had was swiftly overwritten by Schumacher's Batman films.

In all honesty, Marvel probably just wanted some money and started making movies. Now that they've been successful, DC's getting in on it.

there was blade too... stick out tongue

marvel's cash cows have only really been x-men and spiderman... their other movies either sucked or didnt get into the mainstream audiences enough...

Dc had plans for years, as did marvel... i remember back in 93 reading about them making spiderman 1...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jun 16th, 2005 05:54 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wanderer259

quote:
there was blade too...

marvel's cash cows have only really been x-men and spiderman... their other movies either sucked or didnt get into the mainstream audiences enough...

Dc had plans for years, as did marvel... i remember back in 93 reading about them making spiderman 1...

True.

As for the movies making enough money, you can't anticipate how much money your movie would make, thus the fact that X-Men and Spider-Man are the only ones that did make a substantial amount of cash doesn't mean Marvel made a bunch of movies in an attempt to make lots of it. Also, just because you make plans doesn't mean you'll do them. Seems like they've all had plans for so long... but didn't start acting on them until later and all at the same time. Hmm...

Old Post Jun 16th, 2005 05:59 AM
nigel45
The Amazing

Originally posted by pr1983
hate to disagree... embarrasment

but wasnt batman 89 and the superman movies the first ones?

i think they'll go away and come back at some point...

They definitely spiked in those years, but I agree that movies like X-Men helped bring them back in this time. Also, the Blade movies, and then the Spiderman movie really opened the floodgates.

I think they'll be a major genre for at least 3-5 more years. If they start to get better, it might make them last even longer.

I think the problem is going to be that guys like Tobey Maguire and other people with lead roles aren't going to be able to play these characters forever. Sure they can be replaced, but we all know how well that worked for the 90's run of Batman. sad

To answer your question, I think it's both. The industry has become flooded with these movies so much that they will become a new genre. But it has limits, meaning that at best it will come and go according to trends.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2005 06:00 AM
nigel45 is currently offline Click here to Send nigel45 a Private Message Find more posts by nigel45 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
nigel45
The Amazing

True.

As for the movies making enough money, you can't anticipate how much money your movie would make, thus the fact that X-Men and Spider-Man are the only ones that did make a substantial amount of cash doesn't mean Marvel made a bunch of movies in an attempt to make lots of it. Also, just because you make plans doesn't mean you'll do them. Seems like they've all had plans for so long... but didn't start acting on them until later and all at the same time. Hmm...

I remember reading that the problem with making the Spiderman movie (which they had tried to make for years and years) had to do with who had legal rights to the character or something like that. Apparently it's been a progressive struggle for decades.

I don't think it was just some out of the blue idea at Marvel like "hey, we could put these guys in films and make money off of them". And I also don't think DC just jumped on Marvel's bandwagon. But who knows.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2005 06:05 AM
nigel45 is currently offline Click here to Send nigel45 a Private Message Find more posts by nigel45 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

thing is though, i know in twenty odd years we'll see new x-men spidey and superman movies...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jun 16th, 2005 06:12 AM
mr.smiley

I hope so.

I remember reading in old X men issues about Wolverine and X men movies.That was like 10 years or more ago.I think it realy took a while before any studio was ready to take the risk.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2005 10:44 PM
mr.smiley is currently offline Click here to Send mr.smiley a Private Message Find more posts by mr.smiley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
nigel45
The Amazing

Originally posted by pr1983
thing is though, i know in twenty odd years we'll see new x-men spidey and superman movies...

That wouldn't surprise me.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2005 12:01 AM
mr.smiley

I say a new Spider Man movie years down the road,but for some reason I don't realy see much of an X men remake happening.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2005 10:40 PM