KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Grant Morrison vs The Matrix

Grant Morrison vs The Matrix
Started by: Avalonofthewind

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Avlon
Godot Brew#107

Grant Morrison vs The Matrix

Don't know if this has been posted, but I found it VERY interesting read.

Grant Morrison views on "The Matrix" "X-men" "Superman"
Discuss...
Link:
http://suicidegirls.com/words/Grant+Morrison/

DRE: This may be old news but was the controversy over The Matrix films being like The Invisibles blown out of proportion?

GM: It's really simple. The truth of that one is that design staff on The Matrix were given Invisibles collections and told to make the movie look like my books. This is a reported fact. The Wachowskis are comic book creators and fans and were fans of my work, so it's hardly surprising. I was even contacted before the first Matrix movie was released and asked if I would contribute a story to the website.

It's not some baffling 'coincidence' that so much of The Matrix is plot by plot, detail by detail, image by image, lifted from Invisibles so there shouldn't be much controversy. The Wachowskis nicked The Invisibles and everyone in the know is well aware of this fact but of course they're unlikely to come out and say it.

It was just too bad they deviated so far from the Invisibles philosophical template in the second and third movies because they blundered helplessly into boring Catholic theology, proving that they hadn't HAD the 'contact' experience that drove The Invisibles, and they wrecked both
'Reloaded' and 'Revolutions' on the rocks of absolute incomprehension. They should have kept on stealing from me and maybe they would have wound up with something to really be proud of - a movie that could change minds and hearts and worlds.

I love the first Matrix movie which I think is a real work of cinematic genius and very timely but I've now heard from several people who worked on The Matrix and they've all confirmed that they were given Invisibles books as reference. That's how it is. I'm not angry about it anymore, although at one time I was because they made millions from what was basically a Xerox of my work and to be honest, I would be happy with just one million so I didn't have to work thirteen hours of every ****ing day, including weekends.

In the end, I was glad they got the ideas out but very disappointed that they blew it so badly and distorted all the Gnostic transcendental aspects that made the first film so strong and potent. If they had any sense, they would have befriended me instead of pissing me off. They seem like nice boys.

Humans are afraid of the dark.
And yet… At the same time, we’re fascinated and bewitched by it.
Maybe that’s why humans drink the darkness that is coffee.

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2006 10:13 AM
Avlon is currently offline Click here to Send Avlon a Private Message Find more posts by Avlon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

He could sue; it happens in Hollywood all the time. Get some royalties money.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2006 03:53 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
b-dan
Son of Sparda

i dont belive that they say they copied everything to make the matrix like there was a book and now a comic book what next its done with get over it they are moving on to V for Vendetta

Old Post Jan 23rd, 2006 11:23 PM
b-dan is currently offline Click here to Send b-dan a Private Message Find more posts by b-dan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Perhaps there wasn't enough of a case for him, years ago. He may have tried.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jan 24th, 2006 01:00 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kovacs86

Is it worth buying V For Vendetta? What's it about? What rating will the movie be and does it look any good?

Thanks to Badwolf for the great sig!

Old Post Feb 16th, 2006 07:58 PM
Kovacs86 is currently offline Click here to Send Kovacs86 a Private Message Find more posts by Kovacs86 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sir Whirlysplat
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Knightfall93
Is it worth buying V For Vendetta? What's it about? What rating will the movie be and does it look any good?

In the eighties V was relevant especially if you lived in Britain under Thatcher, The movie plot deviates almost totally from the idea of home grown fascism and I reread it recently and decided the original has dated badly. I hope the film is not to horriblly bad sad.

The Matrix did rip off the invisibles as well as ghost in the shell and miracleman to name but two others.

herd behavior is a comical thing - Thanks Silver Spider

Old Post Feb 18th, 2006 01:59 PM
Sir Whirlysplat is currently offline Click here to Send Sir Whirlysplat a Private Message Find more posts by Sir Whirlysplat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Piedmon
Saiyajin Quaterback

The Matrix is a ripoff of a lot of stuff, but nobody in The Invisibles was walking around in long black coats... they were all much more fashionable than that. =p

Old Post Feb 19th, 2006 08:15 AM
Piedmon is currently offline Click here to Send Piedmon a Private Message Find more posts by Piedmon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kovacs86

LOL

Thanks to Badwolf for the great sig!

Old Post Feb 19th, 2006 08:38 AM
Kovacs86 is currently offline Click here to Send Kovacs86 a Private Message Find more posts by Kovacs86 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote