KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Hiemdall's a black dude?

Hiemdall's a black dude?
Started by: jinzin

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
jinzin

Hiemdall's a black dude?

I've only seen the full 2nd Thor trailer once or twice on the net and the first one during Tron showings. I saw Idris (I think that's his name) all decked out in gold armor but figured he was Loki's henchman or something. Of course after the 2nd trailer and seeing him more clearly he definitely looked more akin to Hiemdall... which as it stands... He is.

So apparently there are white supremacist groups boycotting the movie for this casting choice alone.
I feel that's a bit an over-reaction but I don't worship norse dieties.

Though, I can also understand where they're coming from. While I didn't mind Kingpin being played by Michael Clark Duncan I also DID NOT want too see a Wonder Woman movie where Diana was played by Beyonce.

What do you guys think about this story? This casting choice?
and how do you feel about roles getting tossed to the "wrong race"?

Would you have liked a white War Machine? A Mexican Iron Man? a Black Thor?

Chime in and let me know what you think.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2011 07:00 PM
jinzin is currently offline Click here to Send jinzin a Private Message Find more posts by jinzin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Its a minor detail. Yeah it annoys me, but it's not going to stop me from enjoying the movie if it turns out to be good.

Heimdall isn't a major character, but as it stands a black Norse God makes about as much sense as a blond hair, blue eyed African deity would. Considering that in the Old Norse world if you called someone "black" you didn't mean Sub-Saharan African or even Moorish, you meant someone with brown hair and brown eyes. That's how small the ethnic diversity was in that time and place.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Last edited by Omega Vision on Apr 9th, 2011 at 07:14 PM

Old Post Apr 9th, 2011 07:12 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinzin

Keep in mind in mythology Hiemdall is established as the fairest skinned/whitest of white god.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2011 07:30 PM
jinzin is currently offline Click here to Send jinzin a Private Message Find more posts by jinzin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deadline

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Omega Vision

Heimdall isn't a major character, but as it stands a black Norse God makes about as much sense as a blond hair, blue eyed African deity would.

If you're talking about the religon itself your wrong. Sure Norse gods where white but thats because Norse people were white, if you look at what gods really are in Norse lore they transcend physical form. Thats like arguing that angels should be white.

However I do get a little pissed off when they make white characters black, I think they should just make more black characters but I'm glad its pissing off the white supremecist.

Originally posted by jinzin
Keep in mind in mythology Hiemdall is established as the fairest skinned/whitest of white god.

He is? I thought that was Balder? Hell if want to get into specifics then Thor should be as powerful as Odin.

edit: Yea apparently thats what Norse lore says.

Last edited by Deadline on Apr 9th, 2011 at 07:48 PM

Old Post Apr 9th, 2011 07:43 PM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

I can see why some people would displeased by the notion, but it doesn't bother me personally.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Apr 9th, 2011 07:47 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

unless it somehow changes i don't care that heimdall is being played by a british actor

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Apr 9th, 2011 07:51 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinzin

Originally posted by Deadline

He is? I thought that was Balder? Hell if want to get into specifics then Thor should be as powerful as Odin.

edit: Yea apparently thats what Norse lore says.

Balder is also called Balder the White at times, but it's a reference to light/day/brightness, whereas Hiemdall is specifically referenced as the whitest of skin.

Just sayin' it's kind of like they're trying to piss people off given that fact alone hehe.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2011 07:52 PM
jinzin

Re: Hiemdall's a black dude?

Also don't forget about my curiosities on your opinions regarding this type of casting choice in general.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2011 07:53 PM
jinzin

However I do get a little pissed off when they make white characters black, I think they should just make more black characters but I'm glad its pissing off the white supremecist.
laughing out loud

Old Post Apr 9th, 2011 07:54 PM
Deadline

Re: Re: Hiemdall's a black dude?

Balder is also called Balder the White at times, but it's a reference to light/day/brightness, whereas Hiemdall is specifically referenced as the whitest of skin.

Just sayin' it's kind of like they're trying to piss people off given that fact alone hehe.

Yea but from a religous point of view gods are metaphysical beings they can be black. However in comics Asagardians aren't as metaphysical (except maybe Odin).

Also don't forget about my curiosities on your opinions regarding this type of casting choice in general.

Well yea my earlier post sumed up my feelings.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2011 07:56 PM
Deadline is currently offline Click here to Send Deadline a Private Message Find more posts by Deadline Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinzin

Re: Re: Re: Hiemdall's a black dude?

Yea but from a religous point of view gods are metaphysical beings they can be black. However in comics Asagardians aren't as metaphysical (except maybe Odin).
Usually that might be the case, but I don't think pigmentation is a bullet point to godly representations for most dieties... Hiemdall's a different story.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2011 08:07 PM
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Meh this is such a minor change I don't think anyone should care. I mean I'm not sure but I don't know if they went into the movie saying they needed a black man its just that he did the best job.

Heimdal is minor character in the background of things that this change is nothing I'm gonna cry over.

I would be a little more disturbed at a Black Thor or White War Machine. Cause they're more central characters from comics that you want to see them as they are. So I want to see Thor as he is in comics I want to see War Machine as he is comics. I don't really care about Heimdal.

Just like they made Jarvis a machine. It didn't bother me that much.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Apr 9th, 2011 08:12 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ExodusCloak

Idris Elba is the best actor in the United Kingdom. I am thrilled.

And given the tripe that the Wonder Women TV show is, I'd welcome Beyonce at this point.

Also Emma Frost should be black. In fact that's the way they should have gone in the Ultimate Universe.

Also, didn't they cast a chinese guy as one of the Warriors Three? Why is Heimdall getting all the flak?

BTW Marvel Asgardians and Norse mythology are very, very different. For one Thor is blonde. Marvel are obviously anti-ginger.

Last edited by ExodusCloak on Apr 9th, 2011 at 08:57 PM

Old Post Apr 9th, 2011 08:46 PM
ExodusCloak is currently offline Click here to Send ExodusCloak a Private Message Find more posts by ExodusCloak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

Originally posted by ExodusCloak
Also Emma Frost should be black. In fact that's the way they should have gone in the Ultimate Universe.
This.

I understand why it bothers people. Racial background plays heavily into character identity and all that. That being said, change is good, and while I personally don't feel attached to Heimdall's character (and therefore can't speak from the perspective of those who do), he obviously isn't a big part of the big picture, so I'm for it.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2011 09:17 PM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

First of all, it's Heimdall, not Hiemdall. If you're going to complain about a character's specifics, identify him right.

Secondly, have you been asleep for the past year and a half? This debate has gone on since Idris Elba was cast in late fall of 2009. I have followed the debate on multiple boards, and there's virtually nothing left to be said at this point. The movie opens in less than four weeks.

Thirdly, Asgardians aren't from Earth or Scandinavia; just the select ones they have brought to Asgard over millenia are. So they don't have to racially look all caucasian.

...So did they have to cast him? Maybe not. This controversy could have been avoided if they hadn't. But precedent had alreay been set in other ways. Hogun the Grim resembles a mongol in many ways, so a Japanese actor has been cast for his part. And Heimdall was one God who didn't visit Earth(Midgard) so he's never been seen by mortals. And Kenneth Branagh has a history of ignoring race in casting supporting roles - he cast Denzel Washington & Keanu Reeves as brothers in Much Ado About Nothing. Because he's more concerned about getting a great actor to do a good job than anything else.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Apr 9th, 2011 10:13 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ExodusCloak

Originally posted by Existere
This.

I understand why it bothers people. Racial background plays heavily into character identity and all that. That being said, change is good, and while I personally don't feel attached to Heimdall's character (and therefore can't speak from the perspective of those who do), he obviously isn't a big part of the big picture, so I'm for it.

I think he looks aesthetically amazing in the movie, especially the contact lenses. I hope something happens to 616 Heimdall that makes him change his appearance like tranny Loki.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2011 10:21 PM
ExodusCloak is currently offline Click here to Send ExodusCloak a Private Message Find more posts by ExodusCloak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

If you're talking about the religon itself your wrong. Sure Norse gods where white but thats because Norse people were white, if you look at what gods really are in Norse lore they transcend physical form. Thats like arguing that angels should be white.

No they didn't. Norse Gods were very much treated as physical beings to the point they had to consume Golden Apples to maintain their longevity.

At the very least there is an expectation that a Norse God should be white. They're reflections of the people who dreamed them up.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post Apr 9th, 2011 10:21 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

I figure the stance they are taking is that Asgardians are a completely different species as varied and diverse as Humanity... which I don't really have a problem with, but I think it will be confusing if they ever introduce any of the other Pantheons.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Old Post Apr 9th, 2011 10:28 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Facee
Lord of Pretty

I've only seen the full 2nd Thor trailer once or twice on the net and the first one during Tron showings. I saw Idris (I think that's his name) all decked out in gold armor but figured he was Loki's henchman or something. Of course after the 2nd trailer and seeing him more clearly he definitely looked more akin to Hiemdall... which as it stands... He is.

So apparently there are white supremacist groups boycotting the movie for this casting choice alone.
I feel that's a bit an over-reaction but I don't worship norse dieties.

Though, I can also understand where they're coming from. While I didn't mind Kingpin being played by Michael Clark Duncan I also DID NOT want too see a Wonder Woman movie where Diana was played by Beyonce.

What do you guys think about this story? This casting choice?

It is annoying when they cant even get a character right. IMO , characters should come as close as possible to what they are like in comics. Unless they're going with a black Hiemdall for comics.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2011 12:00 AM
Facee is currently offline Click here to Send Facee a Private Message Find more posts by Facee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Rhythmic

Meh, it's not a big deal. Idris Elba's a fantastic actor.

Old Post Apr 10th, 2011 12:10 AM
Mr. Rhythmic is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Rhythmic a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Rhythmic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote