KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Super-Hero Genre, oversaturated?

Super-Hero Genre, oversaturated?
Started by: Prep-Man

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Senor Cage

I think from now on, the super-hero genre will decline. For the exception of the big names like Spider-Man, Batman, Superman, X-Men, etc... From what I hear, people are just sick of seeing these movies (for the most part). What are your thoughts? Here is a good article about some of this.

http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3188&p=.htm

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2011 12:49 AM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Honestly, the next superhero films really ought to just embrace the superheroism. I feel that these movies to some degree or another almost have this feeling like the creators think "comic book" or "superhero" is a dirty word, and they want to make everything so damn relatable and down to Earth and realistic.

Just make a mind blowing epic with a coherent plotline and good effects. People typically go to films - and read comics and books - as a form of escapism.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2011 01:44 AM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CPT Space Bomb
Emperor Doom

I don't really think so. The economy is in a downturn and has been since '09. The Dark Knight for example, was the last big super hero movie that took place before the huge recession. Movies in general aren't making that much money. The movie industry is suffering. In fact, Sony Pictures is projected to be sold out and deflated due to huge financial losses. Comic book movies will do just fine, as long as they are good comic book movies. Yes, it is a bit saturated, but honestly, that's a good thing. I think we as comic fans, should want to see as many comic movies as possible...as long as they are good movies.

So what about my comments made your ass so sore? Was it me calling you a phaggot? I think not." - Nemebro

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2011 05:18 AM
CPT Space Bomb is currently offline Click here to Send CPT Space Bomb a Private Message Find more posts by CPT Space Bomb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

I do agree the movie industry itself is suffering bigtime.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2011 05:30 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

How is this any different to the era when all they made was Wild West flicks.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2011 08:38 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scoobless
sselboocS

As long as people keep paying to see them, the companies will keep makng them.

I personally am glad for all the S-H movies these days, when I was a kid I wanted to see Spider-Man and the X-Men on the "big screen" but also knew that the special effects were not up to the challenge of making them look decent, now that they can look like they should look I want to see a lot more.

Yes, I would prefer them to be well written, but even bad reviews for the new GL movie aren't putting me off, I still want to watch it.

Do you even KMC???

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2011 12:29 PM
Scoobless is currently offline Click here to Send Scoobless a Private Message Find more posts by Scoobless Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
I-Drop
Privateer

Make CONSISTENTLY good superhero movies & people will go & see them. Avoid making bad movies, especially 2in a row for the same franchise, because people are gonna snub the next one, even it it does turn out to be good(talking to you X3 &Wolvie). Don't rehash old shit, especially when the old shit doesn't really hold up today anyways(Supes Returns). When using a character w/a mantle, don't use 1 of the blandest characters to ever take up that mantle(GL). To be honest all non-Batman DC characters would probably be best in something closest to their DCAU versions. Jonah Hex would have probably been a LOT better(although they could have just respected the source material & got a great movie) &the same can probably be said for GL.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2011 06:34 AM
I-Drop is currently offline Click here to Send I-Drop a Private Message Find more posts by I-Drop Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Konton
Homo Magi

quote: (post)
Originally posted by CPT Space Bomb
I don't really think so. The economy is in a downturn and has been since '09.

hahahaha, since '09? How about 2001?

Old Post Jun 30th, 2011 06:43 PM
Konton is currently offline Click here to Send Konton a Private Message Find more posts by Konton Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Shadow Z

Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Honestly, the next superhero films really ought to just embrace the superheroism. I feel that these movies to some degree or another almost have this feeling like the creators think "comic book" or "superhero" is a dirty word, and they want to make everything so damn relatable and down to Earth and realistic.

Just make a mind blowing epic with a coherent plotline and good effects. People typically go to films - and read comics and books - as a form of escapism.

thumb up

Confuses me why people don't want to see their favourite comic-book character (within a universe or structure that just accepts what they do and wear) as opposed to getting radical changes for the sake of plausibility or 'realism'. Even when that plausibity is even then revealed to be paper-thin itself...

Not just with superheroes either, they've done this to James Bond, Freddy Kreuger, Robin Hood - leeched all the fun out of them so that people can walk around being a fan of something 'not silly'.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2011 11:00 PM
Lord Shadow Z is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Shadow Z a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Shadow Z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Lord Shadow Z
Not just with superheroes either, they've done this to James Bond, Freddy Kreuger, Robin Hood - leeched all the fun out of them so that people can walk around being a fan of something 'not silly'.

The thing with James Bond it is based on a series of books and if you've actually read one or some of them, the recent flicks with Craig is alot more like them. I''m not dissing the ones that have been made before his movies but they're good in their own way

as for Freddy the only ones that got silly with him were 4,5,6 so yeah no need to compare him.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2011 08:01 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WhiteWitchKing

No,
People aren't sick of the genre. They were sick of th x franchise and it still made money. They stayed away from GL because it looked to suck in plot and it did. Space is an appealing setting if done correctly; otherwise, the public is weary of space setting. Thor is a b-list hero with aN unknown actor and it brought in the dough. Will have to see how cap does. If cap is as good as Thor but pulls in x to gl numbers then the public may be tired of super heroes. note, caps domestic numbers are going to higher then his international numbers likely, contrast to thor's.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2011 08:08 AM
WhiteWitchKing is currently offline Click here to Send WhiteWitchKing a Private Message Find more posts by WhiteWitchKing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by WhiteWitchKing

Thor is a b-list hero with aN unknown actor and it brought in the dough.

Well Unknown outside of Australia.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2011 08:18 AM
Lord Shadow Z

Originally posted by Kazenji
The thing with James Bond it is based on a series of books and if you've actually read one or some of them, the recent flicks with Craig is alot more like them. I''m not dissing the ones that have been made before his movies but they're good in their own way

as for Freddy the only ones that got silly with him were 4,5,6 so yeah no need to compare him.

Fair enough about Bond, but then why didn't the movies reflect the serious nature from the start? Possibly to make him a more appealing character maybe because what I've heard about Craig's is that it's very Bourne-like and that's what they were trying to achieve.

The Freddy reference was due to the fact when the new image from the re-make was released people were mocking Englund's 'pizza face' look and mocking his performance as being too comical. While the re-makes' look was totally awesome and incredibly 'realistic' due to the burned face look. Not taking into account if was truly realistic he would be a pile of ash after being set alight and left for dead.

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2011 08:10 PM
Lord Shadow Z is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Shadow Z a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Shadow Z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
srankmissingnin
VP of Comic Knowledge

It's been said already but it isn't just the superhero genre it is just a sad "domestic" box office all around, with a lot of movies under preforming. The US just isn't pulling its weight, a lot of these movies are making notably more overseas which historically speaking hasn't been the case. I mean Thor almost made 100 million more overseas then it did in the US, which is crazy. Lets all just count our blessings that we never had to see how much money Fast Five would have made if the US Box office was healthy, because the amount it made is already a good case for the complete sterilization of the human race.

First Class had the unfortunate pleasure of coming after two critically panned X-Men themed movie, had by far the lowest budget of the franchise and arguably lacked the star power (or character power) to bring in the viewers. Still that said it over preformed FOX's own predictions. It is the next X-Men movie that will matter, seeing where it will place coming off the great buzz / word of mouth from First Class.

Play League of Legends for free and reference me - GentlemanZombie - when you join

Last edited by srankmissingnin on Jul 3rd, 2011 at 09:03 PM

Old Post Jul 3rd, 2011 09:01 PM
srankmissingnin is currently offline Click here to Send srankmissingnin a Private Message Find more posts by srankmissingnin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Lord Shadow Z

The Freddy reference was due to the fact when the new image from the re-make was released people were mocking Englund's 'pizza face' look and mocking his performance as being too comical. While the re-makes' look was totally awesome and incredibly 'realistic' due to the burned face look. Not taking into account if was truly realistic he would be a pile of ash after being set alight and left for dead.

Well obvisouly those people are a bunch of idiots and have'nt watched Nightmare's 1,2,3.

Old Post Jul 4th, 2011 06:03 AM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Definitely not. Some films have been disappointments, but I think this is a tough genre to get right.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2011 08:39 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote