KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Grading Marvel Studios' Films

Grading Marvel Studios' Films
Started by: CPT Space Bomb

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
CPT Space Bomb
Emperor Doom

Grading Marvel Studios' Films

So, I I took Marvel Studios' films so far and got the average from 3 different sites. Rotten Tomatoes, IMDB and Metacritic (which REALLY dragged the scores down on most of them). Here is how they turned out ( I did not round the numbers up or down).

1. Iron Man - 83
2. Avengers - 81
3. Captain America Winter Soldier - 80
4. Captain America The First Avenger - 71
5. Iron Man 3 - 71
6. Thor - 68
7. Iron Man 2 - 67
8. The Incredible Hulk - 65
9. Thor : The Dark World -64

Also, I took the individual heroes and assigned them a score based off of their solo films.

1. Captain America - 2 movies rating of 75
2. Iron Man - 3 movies rating of 73
3. Thor - 2 movies rating of 66
4. Hulk - 1 movie rating 65

So what about my comments made your ass so sore? Was it me calling you a phaggot? I think not." - Nemebro

Last edited by CPT Space Bomb on Apr 22nd, 2014 at 08:33 PM

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2014 08:20 PM
CPT Space Bomb is currently offline Click here to Send CPT Space Bomb a Private Message Find more posts by CPT Space Bomb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

IMDB is voting by fans, not critics. So two different systems of measurement here. An IMDB score can fluctuate for years, because new users can come on and keep voting. White RT is really what critics thought of the film at the time of release.

My own measurement of the Best Marvel Studios films (which I all like, and give thumbs up to):

1. Avengers
2. Iron Man/Captain America: The Winter Soldier (tie)
4. Thor
5. Captain America: The First Avenger
6. Thor: The Dark World
7. Iron Man 3
8. Iron Man 2
9. The Incredible Hulk

I'll check back in 3 1/2 months with Guardians Of The Galaxy, and see where it slots for me.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 02:38 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Mine:

Avengers
Iron Man
Captain America 2 / Thor 2
Thor / Captain America
Iron Man 2 & 3 / Incredible Hulk

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 02:51 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Avengers - 5/5
Captain America - 5/5
Iron Man - 4.5/5
Thor - 4/5
Iron Man 3 - 3.5/5 (I've really begun to appreciate this movie)
Captain America - 3/5
Incredible Hulk - 3/5
Thor 2 - 2/5
Iron Man 2 - 1.5/5

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 03:03 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

So I guess that none of the Spider Man movies were from Marvel Studios? What about Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Blade, Punisher. I was pretty disappointed with the first Thor movie, and I outright hated the first Captain America film. It began well, but by the end, I sat there cringing due to the extra slices of cheese added. There were simply too many people in the last 10 minutes of that movie (Captain America), and it was ruined for me.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 09:18 AM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CPT Space Bomb
Emperor Doom

Again, these are not my grades. I took 3 different sources and averaged them out. I don't really agree with the list. My personal list is probably:

Avengers
Winter Soldier
Iron Man
Thor
Thor 2
Cap 1
Iron Man 3
Iron Man 2
Hulk

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Stoic
So I guess that none of the Spider Man movies were from Marvel Studios? What about Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Blade, Punisher.
No, none of those movies were done by Marvel Studios and thus do not tie into the cinematic Marvel universe.

So what about my comments made your ass so sore? Was it me calling you a phaggot? I think not." - Nemebro

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 09:41 AM
CPT Space Bomb is currently offline Click here to Send CPT Space Bomb a Private Message Find more posts by CPT Space Bomb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

With that first Captain America it felt like to me that they were trying to channel those old pulp movies to me.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 10:33 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by Stoic
So I guess that none of the Spider Man movies were from Marvel Studios? What about Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Blade, Punisher. I was pretty disappointed with the first Thor movie, and I outright hated the first Captain America film. It began well, but by the end, I sat there cringing due to the extra slices of cheese added. There were simply too many people in the last 10 minutes of that movie (Captain America), and it was ruined for me.

This is about the movies where characters exist in the shared Marvel Cinematic Universe, so no Spider Man, X-men and Fantastic Four movies to date (those are the only properties left, outside the control of Marvel Studios.) Since they got started, Marvel Studios has re-acquired the screen rights to Hulk, Punisher, Daredevil and Ghost Rider, so any future film & TV appearances will be done by them.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 02:53 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by roughrider
This is about the movies where characters exist in the shared Marvel Cinematic Universe, so no Spider Man, X-men and Fantastic Four movies to date (those are the only properties left, outside the control of Marvel Studios.)

It's a shame because those 3 could potentially be the biggest superhero properties on the big screen.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 03:04 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

1. The Avengers
2. Iron Man
3. Captain America 2
4. Thor 2
5. Iron Man 3
6. Incredible Hulk
7. Captain America
8. Thor
9. Iron Man 2

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 03:52 PM
Firefly218 is currently offline Click here to Send Firefly218 a Private Message Find more posts by Firefly218 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by DARTH POWER
It's a shame because those 3 could potentially be the biggest superhero properties on the big screen.

Funny - wasn't that the argument against Marvel forming their own studio, that they already gave away the rights to their 'top' properties and only had a universe of B & C-listers left, like Iron Man, Cap and Thor? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Well, as it turns out the holy trinity of the Avengers have all had movies that have equaled and exceeded the acclaim & box office of every X-Men movie to date, and two of the Avengers related films (Avengers and Iron Man 3) have far exceeded even the best Spider Man box office performance. Iron Man alone has become as popular and recognizable worldwide as Spidey, too. While Thor and Captain America have proven to have at least equal box office appeal to Superman.

Meanwhile, even after two films the jury is still out on Fantastic Four, if it can still work as a film property. The coming reboot is likely the last shot, before it becomes the next property to revert back to MS.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 06:02 PM
Senor Cage

Damn, no love for the Hulk. That was one of my favs.

Avengers 10/10
Iron Man 10/10
Hulk 8/10
Thor 7/10
Iron Man 3 7/10
Cap 6/10
Thor TDW 5/10
Iron Man 2 4/10

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 06:28 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Funny - wasn't that the argument against Marvel forming their own studio, that they already gave away the rights to their 'top' properties and only had a universe of B & C-listers left, like Iron Man, Cap and Thor? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Well, as it turns out the holy trinity of the Avengers have all had movies that have equaled and exceeded the acclaim & box office of every X-Men movie to date, and two of the Avengers related films (Avengers and Iron Man 3) have far exceeded even the best Spider Man box office performance. Iron Man alone has become as popular and recognizable worldwide as Spidey, too. While Thor and Captain America have proven to have at least equal box office appeal to Superman.

Meanwhile, even after two films the jury is still out on Fantastic Four, if it can still work as a film property. The coming reboot is likely the last shot, before it becomes the next property to revert back to MS.

If X-Men was half as good as Avengers, they might be competition.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 06:30 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by -Pr-
If X-Men was half as good as Avengers, they might be competition.

I'd put X-Men 2 in among the best Marvel films, and among the top tier of the Marvel Studios films.

Let's see if Days Of Future Past is a big leap forward for the series; it looks poised to scrub away clean much of the old continuity and set the stage for new stories.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 06:57 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I'd put X-Men 2 in among the best Marvel films, and among the top tier of the Marvel Studios films.

Let's see if Days Of Future Past is a big leap forward for the series; it looks poised to scrub away clean much of the old continuity and set the stage for new stories.

I don't think it will be, tbh.

And I've said enough about X2 on this board to last a lifetime, I think.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 06:58 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by Golgo13
Damn, no love for the Hulk. That was one of my favs.

Avengers 10/10
Iron Man 10/10
Hulk 8/10
Thor 7/10
Iron Man 3 7/10
Cap 6/10
Thor TDW 5/10
Iron Man 2 4/10

Will you be seeing The Winter Soldier? No opinion on that one in your list...

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 06:59 PM
Senor Cage

Will you be seeing The Winter Soldier? No opinion on that one in your list...

Haven't seen it yet. I've had a hectic last few weeks.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 08:36 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Captain America: The Winter Soldier 10/10
The Avengers 10/10
Iron Man 1 9/10
Captain America: The First Avenger/Thor 7/10
Incredible Hulk 6.9/10
Thor: The Dark World 6.8/10
Iron Man 3 6/10
Iron Man 2 4/10

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 08:48 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Yeah exactly. And if Marvel studios can do that for those former B-Listers then imagine what they could have done with Spider-Man and the X-Men?

Just a dream thought anyway.

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 09:33 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by DARTH POWER
Yeah exactly. And if Marvel studios can do that for those former B-Listers then imagine what they could have done with Spider-Man and the X-Men?

Just a dream thought anyway.

Well, a clear test case is two different Hulk movies. One done in 2003, the next one done by Marvel Studios in 2008.

Perhaps an unfair comparison, as Ang Lee took the story in bold dramatic directions that sometimes worked but also backfired. Marvel Studios made a more conventional action film that went lighter on the psychological story. The result was a film only somewhat better received, that mainly accomplished filling out the background details of the shared cinematic universe.

Fans may say the ground was poisoned because people remembered the poor reaction to Ang Lee's film, but if your film is made well enough you should be able to erase the past efforts, as Batman Begins washed away the memory of Batman & Robin.

I think the best Marvel films are being made by Marvel Studios, but I don't think that means Spider Man and the X-Men films automatically get an upgrade, if we rewrite history and they got produced by MS. They did achieve some greatness on their own (Spider Man 2, X-Men 2 and X-Men: First Class, in my opinion.)

Old Post Apr 23rd, 2014 10:56 PM