KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Harry Potter » Professor Binn's History of Magic Class

Professor Binn's History of Magic Class
Started by: Phoenix

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

Professor Binn's History of Magic Class

What is A History of Magic?

A class in which the very foundations of our talents are set, where the laws which govern us are explained and which your grade depends on keeping your eyes open for longer than ten seconds, Mr. Potter!

"Err... It's Perks, sir..."

Old Post Jan 6th, 2004 12:52 PM
Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

Magic in one form or other appears to be a part of all known religious systems, at all levels of historical development, although the degree of importance given to it varies considerably. The term has been used loosely by many writers, especially when discussing European magic. Also the ethnographic accounts of small-scale preliterate societies vary in the degree to which they contain detailed descriptions even when magic is important in a particular culture. Thus the analyses of magic in its total cultural setting are remarkably few.

Knowledge of magic in prehistory is limited by lack of reliable data. Many cave paintings and engravings, from all parts of the world, have been claimed to represent figures practicing hunting magic and sorcery, but this is only conjecture. More certain information about magical phenomena is available for the ancient Middle Eastern and Greco-Roman cultures, Christian Europe, and contemporary preliterate societies.

Please research magic in one historical culture, and deliver 6 inches of parchment on the subject.

((OOC - six inches = six lines, please post name of Character at bottom of post to recieve house points))

Old Post Jan 6th, 2004 01:05 PM
Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eezy45
Winter is coming

[lol no one wants to join huh?]

Old Post Jan 7th, 2004 03:13 PM
eezy45 is currently offline Click here to Send eezy45 a Private Message Find more posts by eezy45 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

((heehee... well it WAS Professor Binns, so I thought I'd better make it boring! anyways, cutting and pasting off a Google searched webpage should do!))

Old Post Jan 7th, 2004 04:53 PM
Candy
Jedi-Quietscheentchen

[Kiara, Slytherin 6th year]
i hope it's right, ANY culture?

I chose the ancient egypt, we know sum stuff bout it out of the books:

The old egyptain wizards put spell and jinxes on the pyramides. curse breakers of the london wizard bank gringotts triey to clean the pyramides from the curses and jinxes now. Bill Wealsey, one of the jinx-breakers of griongotts, told the muggles, who tried to brok in into the pyramides were found in mutant skeletons, and grown extra heads and such stuff.

so.. i hope i understood it right jn harry potter... laughing

Old Post Jan 7th, 2004 07:32 PM
Candy is currently offline Click here to Send Candy a Private Message Find more posts by Candy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red_Drake
Dragon lord

Ritual
There are various kinds of Ritual, depends on the culture, mostly i think they come from western countries, practiced mostly by tribes of indians, they are also some that call then selves Shamans, and believe that the spirits exists and that they may help then if they pray for then. Ritual goes from scaring the skin to dancing around fir place.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2004 07:33 PM
Red_Drake is currently offline Click here to Send Red_Drake a Private Message Find more posts by Red_Drake Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red_Drake
Dragon lord

Drake Faydark, Ravenclaw

Old Post Jan 7th, 2004 07:34 PM
Red_Drake is currently offline Click here to Send Red_Drake a Private Message Find more posts by Red_Drake Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Trickster
True KMC Jester

For thousands of years the ancient priests of the South Americas used magic in their blood sacrafices to the gods. At first, when the explorers from the more muggle advanced western world, the priests thought that all peoples from the west had magic. The guns were thought to be wands of some sort, as those priests only had staffs. Their staffs were made of ancient oak, and each had been soaked in the blood of a phoenix or other mythical beast. The priests were not driven mad by this, because of spells and potions alocoytes were forced to drink at a young age, giving them halluciinations, and a slight power of divination.

Dale
Gryffindor

Professor Binns, I will finish this instead of my next piece of homework, as I am sure you would find it most interesting.

Death only gives another set of choices.

He who dies with the most toys. Still dies.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2004 10:33 PM
Trickster is currently offline Click here to Send Trickster a Private Message Find more posts by Trickster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Aesma
A Sweet Breath

Ah yes, another parchment from the first year Ravenclaw, the wisest of the bunch. The written work was placed well as usual, and has included his thoughts like in most of his work.

Magic in Las Vegas

Magic to the muggles is a mere illusion just like most its magicians. No real magic in it except that they use various ways of misdirecting and hiding thier deeds behind smoke and mirrors. Those who watch such acts are placed in awe and wonderment, through time it has become a source of entertainment. Various options of media, mainly through TV, and through stage shows that muggle entertainment magic has grown. Faces like Siegried, and the bitten Roy, Copperfield, and Blaine became famous for the literal tricks. This is why muggles are so awed by magic, and has no concept of our magic, their minds are closed. I'm not entirely sure which magician is real or not, but they know of the rules.

Ocean Oliver, Ravenclaw
PS. Sorry, Las Vegas is not ancient, but it is historical in a bicentennial sense.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2004 02:27 AM
Aesma is currently offline Click here to Send Aesma a Private Message Find more posts by Aesma Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

quote:
Originally posted by Candy
[Kiara, Slytherin 6th year]
i hope it's right, ANY culture?

I chose the ancient egypt, we know sum stuff bout it out of the books:

The old egyptain wizards put spell and jinxes on the pyramides. curse breakers of the london wizard bank gringotts triey to clean the pyramides from the curses and jinxes now. Bill Wealsey, one of the jinx-breakers of griongotts, told the muggles, who tried to brok in into the pyramides were found in mutant skeletons, and grown extra heads and such stuff.

so.. i hope i understood it right jn harry potter... laughing

3 points

Old Post Jan 8th, 2004 02:30 PM
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

quote:
Originally posted by Red_Drake
Ritual
There are various kinds of Ritual, depends on the culture, mostly i think they come from western countries, practiced mostly by tribes of indians, they are also some that call then selves Shamans, and believe that the spirits exists and that they may help then if they pray for then. Ritual goes from scaring the skin to dancing around fir place.

two points

Old Post Jan 8th, 2004 02:31 PM
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

quote:
Originally posted by Trickster
For thousands of years the ancient priests of the South Americas used magic in their blood sacrafices to the gods. At first, when the explorers from the more muggle advanced western world, the priests thought that all peoples from the west had magic. The guns were thought to be wands of some sort, as those priests only had staffs. Their staffs were made of ancient oak, and each had been soaked in the blood of a phoenix or other mythical beast. The priests were not driven mad by this, because of spells and potions alocoytes were forced to drink at a young age, giving them halluciinations, and a slight power of divination.

Dale
Gryffindor

Professor Binns, I will finish this instead of my next piece of homework, as I am sure you would find it most interesting.

Quite excellent, Dale! TEN points! And, most certainly, you can continue this, but if you do the next bit of homework as well, I'm sure you will perform to the same standard and win maximum points for your House again!

Old Post Jan 8th, 2004 02:33 PM
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

quote:
Originally posted by Aesma
Ah yes, another parchment from the first year Ravenclaw, the wisest of the bunch. The written work was placed well as usual, and has included his thoughts like in most of his work.

Magic in Las Vegas

Magic to the muggles is a mere illusion just like most its magicians. No real magic in it except that they use various ways of misdirecting and hiding thier deeds behind smoke and mirrors. Those who watch such acts are placed in awe and wonderment, through time it has become a source of entertainment. Various options of media, mainly through TV, and through stage shows that muggle entertainment magic has grown. Faces like Siegried, and the bitten Roy, Copperfield, and Blaine became famous for the literal tricks. This is why muggles are so awed by magic, and has no concept of our magic, their minds are closed. I'm not entirely sure which magician is real or not, but they know of the rules.

Ocean Oliver, Ravenclaw
PS. Sorry, Las Vegas is not ancient, but it is historical in a bicentennial sense.

SEVEN Points for Ocean Oliver, for his unique angle.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2004 02:35 PM
Tiger Eyes
MeoW?

Li dumbledore, gryffindor
Greek's used magic to help with their religion. They used certain spells to rain off evil demon from their gods temples and their royalty. Serveral people used magic to become welthy and or powerful.
An indevinual spell:
A. defixio - binding spell

1. caster seeks to "bind" or incapacitate his enemy

2. normally written on pieces of metal and buried in a secret place

3. language indistinguishable from pious prayer

i. Chryses in Iliad book 1 so there

4. e.g.: bankrupt a business rival, blight a neighbor's crops, cripple and athlete, silence an orator (very popular)
( it's an example)
hope thats good.

" I'm one mean kitty!"

Old Post Jan 9th, 2004 03:52 AM
Tiger Eyes is currently offline Click here to Send Tiger Eyes a Private Message Find more posts by Tiger Eyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~Air Angel~
Armed & Dangerous

OH GEEEEEZ I GOTTA DO SOME RESEARCH...........

Currently Writing: An Adventure Bookl!!!

Old Post Jan 9th, 2004 07:39 AM
~Air Angel~ is currently offline Click here to Send ~Air Angel~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~Air Angel~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~Air Angel~
Armed & Dangerous

Jasmine pulled out her piece of parchment and handed it to the teacher, with a weary look. Her research had been done on magical history from the 1400s.

1400's -
With the coming of the Renaissance and the increasing reliance among Muggles on scientific reasoning, the break between the Wizarding and Muggle worlds is becoming more and more complete. Each culture goes on to create their own civilization: social structures, economies, governments, etc. Each borrows a little from the other as the years go by but it becomes apparent that the Muggles must be kept ignorant of the existence of their magical kin for their own good. Some Muggles persecute their Magical neighbors, others try to exploit magical power for their own gain and for quick fixes to their problems.

Jasmine Tonks, 7th year, Hufflepuff

Currently Writing: An Adventure Bookl!!!

Old Post Jan 9th, 2004 07:48 AM
~Air Angel~ is currently offline Click here to Send ~Air Angel~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~Air Angel~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Noxi
Aqualibrium

Karen remembered her father telling her about wut happened in the 1600's so she wrote about it hopeing it would be good.

1600's-
Goblin rebellions in Britain.
Muggle persecution reaches an all-time high. These are dark times for the Magical Community. The governments of the Wizarding World meets to consider solutions to the crisis and create the International Statute of Wizarding Secrecy of 1692. This not only completes the separation of the two cultures but also lays the responsibility of the various Wizarding governments in each country for maintaining the secrecy of everything from Quidditch games to dragons. Over the years, for Muggles, magic becomes the stuff of fairy tales and legend.
------Karen Titan, Slytherin

Old Post Jan 9th, 2004 08:14 AM
Noxi is currently offline Click here to Send Noxi a Private Message Find more posts by Noxi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

quote:
Originally posted by tigereyes456
Li dumbledore, gryffindor
Greek's used magic to help with their religion. They used certain spells to rain off evil demon from their gods temples and their royalty. Serveral people used magic to become welthy and or powerful.
An indevinual spell:
A. defixio - binding spell

1. caster seeks to "bind" or incapacitate his enemy

2. normally written on pieces of metal and buried in a secret place

3. language indistinguishable from pious prayer

i. Chryses in Iliad book 1 so there

4. e.g.: bankrupt a business rival, blight a neighbor's crops, cripple and athlete, silence an orator (very popular)
( it's an example)
hope thats good.

Four points to Li

Old Post Jan 9th, 2004 09:25 AM
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

quote:
Originally posted by airangel429
Jasmine pulled out her piece of parchment and handed it to the teacher, with a weary look. Her research had been done on magical history from the 1400s.

1400's -
With the coming of the Renaissance and the increasing reliance among Muggles on scientific reasoning, the break between the Wizarding and Muggle worlds is becoming more and more complete. Each culture goes on to create their own civilization: social structures, economies, governments, etc. Each borrows a little from the other as the years go by but it becomes apparent that the Muggles must be kept ignorant of the existence of their magical kin for their own good. Some Muggles persecute their Magical neighbors, others try to exploit magical power for their own gain and for quick fixes to their problems.

Jasmine Tonks, 7th year, Hufflepuff

Four points to Jasmine

Old Post Jan 9th, 2004 09:26 AM
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

quote:
Originally posted by Aqua
Karen remembered her father telling her about wut happened in the 1600's so she wrote about it hopeing it would be good.

1600's-
Goblin rebellions in Britain.
Muggle persecution reaches an all-time high. These are dark times for the Magical Community. The governments of the Wizarding World meets to consider solutions to the crisis and create the International Statute of Wizarding Secrecy of 1692. This not only completes the separation of the two cultures but also lays the responsibility of the various Wizarding governments in each country for maintaining the secrecy of everything from Quidditch games to dragons. Over the years, for Muggles, magic becomes the stuff of fairy tales and legend.
------Karen Titan, Slytherin

Four points to Karen

Old Post Jan 9th, 2004 09:27 AM