KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Harry Potter » What others think & YOUR opinion

What others think & YOUR opinion
Started by: Tassie

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Tassie

Worried What others think & YOUR opinion

Firstly, I know few people who've read hp, or who just like it

I have five BEST friends, and out of the five of them... only one has read harry potter and she loves it

But i truly despise the way other people feel about the book...
If it's not suited to your taste, i understand that... i mean, there are alot of books some people might refer to as classics, that easily put me to sleep

But, one my 5 friends, ((she's a... Jehoviah, i think confused )) her parents prohibit her to read hp/LotR, for the reason that it's against their religion.
Personally, i find nothing relating to "devilry" as many people do...
My personal opinion, I disagree with both drastics- those who truly despise the books saying it's dark and against God.... and those who'd go to all corners of the Earth for the books

However, one thing that REALLY tests me, is when people who haven't even READ one of the books, fall by the opinions of others only, and agree that it's evil, and a poor story line, etc.. I know people like that^^

it's just my opinion, I wanted to hear yours, since you're all fans of the books, and what the people you know say smile

Old Post May 11th, 2004 09:08 PM
Tassie is currently offline Click here to Send Tassie a Private Message Find more posts by Tassie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
clytaemnestra

I am almost certain that the books and movies are not allowed at my siblings' methodist day care

Old Post May 11th, 2004 09:18 PM
clytaemnestra is currently offline Click here to Send clytaemnestra a Private Message Find more posts by clytaemnestra Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Unicor777
Hogwarts Cafe MANAGER

Hm... I guess asking this question in this forum you knew the answer in advance, I would go to the end of the world to get the 6 book. and many ppl that know me , my friends and family couldn't believe what was I reading.... I gave up of psyhological and phylosophical books , since I first read HP books. though not completely, but if I have to chose HP would be my choise. God Blass JK Rowling for giving us HArry Potter series!

$$$REMEMBER DUMBLEDORE$$$

R.I.P Headmaster Severus Snape

Take the portkey

GRYFFINDOR MALE PREFECT

Tigg, RebPhoe, Maika, Rogue, Sarant, ADarksideJedi, MUSC

Old Post May 11th, 2004 09:53 PM
Unicor777 is currently offline Click here to Send Unicor777 a Private Message Find more posts by Unicor777 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tassie

well yeah, i know you guys love the books, that much is obvious

but i wanted to know, also, what you thought of other's opinions, especially those of the people who consider it to be devilry and innapropriate by their religion, etc

Old Post May 11th, 2004 10:00 PM
Tassie is currently offline Click here to Send Tassie a Private Message Find more posts by Tassie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Unicor777
Hogwarts Cafe MANAGER

I replied to this without seeing who started the tread .. I though is some one who just pomped in to chanlenge and bash of the ppl here. Yep, I alos heard that certain religouse groups immidiatelly declared the books as satanic... for example the orthdox church here in Macedonia did the same.. but thats so stupid ... I have read the bible... the apocalipse of St Join is also full of mistic figures, events, prophets, creatures and staff like. In the end of the day the HP books are platform of the fight amaong the good and bad in the world... I'm justing frightened how much the religon is empowered even today, like a church daring to prohibit a book, just like in dark age, here in Europe!!!! and then U read staff like Islam and Sharia and that the Arabs should be ashame of, the same shit is happening all over the world, just our chistian prists have more indirect and sofisticated approach...

WOW man I wrote a lot !

Take the portkey

GRYFFINDOR MALE PREFECT

Old Post May 11th, 2004 10:13 PM
Unicor777 is currently offline Click here to Send Unicor777 a Private Message Find more posts by Unicor777 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
angelsflame265
la la la lalaaaa

yea i agree with u'r opinion tassie, I use that for almost everything I like, if you haven't read the books I don't' listen to a word the person says about because they havn't read it! I do the same thing with country music smile

Offical Country Music Lover of Ravenclaw

Old Post May 11th, 2004 11:45 PM
angelsflame265 is currently offline Click here to Send angelsflame265 a Private Message Find more posts by angelsflame265 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celestial_moon
celes

i hate that...all my friends love it but others are annoyed...

-Don't leave us

Old Post May 12th, 2004 12:33 AM
celestial_moon is currently offline Click here to Send celestial_moon a Private Message Find more posts by celestial_moon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RebelPhoenix
I work in mysterious ways

When it comes to religion, theosophy, philosophy, ethics, politcs, science etc I can and have written very long opinions on detailing every possible side I can but I don't want to do that here because I could talk all day, night and into next month about the workings of various chaurches, religions, cultures, people within them, the effects of history, the agendas they don't publicise and everything else.

I'd rather people try and think for themselves, do research and get an aray of differing opinions and advice before they believe something out of blind faith without thinking about the micro and macro picture at the same time. Some people act as if they aren't capable of seeing anyone's view but their own and and then start defending things and beliefs they really have no clue about - they think that reading one book or the series of orthadox 'allowed' and 'edited' and in many cases completely fabricated texts means that they are informed and know all there is to know. When it comes down to it, that's just bull shit. Until you have as objectively as possible weighed up all the arguments for and against something rather then just trying to find arguments that support your preference and ignoring the rest, only then does your opinion in serious discussion have any credibility. You also have to be willing to take on new ways of thinking and be open minded or if you want to stick to your guns that's fine as long as you are not ignorant and take into consideration the flaws of your own side rather then sweeping them under the rug as anomalies and not worth thinking about. Question everything - balance experience and logic because both are valuable not just one without the other because so many things are mixed that it would leave a massive margin for error if you just go on experiences and logic because you will be blind sighted.

Also even though understandably you might respect the opinions and beliefs of people you admire or are close to you (family, friends etc) if you don't do yourself and the things you believe in justice by checking them out to the fullest then at the end of the day - your faith could be completely something that you didn't think it was or expect it to be and even the people you believed could have been fooled. If you're going to have faith in something, make sure it's worth it and organised religion has may ways of keeping people locked into their consciousnous and it doesn't even have to be a direct influence, the same goes for science and every other ideological establishment - there is enough in there to keep you skeptical and distrusting of everything but your own stand point within them and it's so easy to get caught up in them if your pre-disposed to certain ways of thinking already.

Basically, before you judge anything, take off the rose tinted glasses and try to see things from other perspectives and be as objective as you can because it's easy to miss things as well. If after everything, you still feel the same way, then hey - at least you know you tried and really have reason to believe what you do instead of just following others.

Note: All 'you's in this thread are generic and not aimed at anybody specifically.

Last edited by RebelPhoenix on May 12th, 2004 at 01:09 AM

Old Post May 12th, 2004 01:05 AM
RebelPhoenix is currently offline Click here to Send RebelPhoenix a Private Message Find more posts by RebelPhoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Unicor777
Hogwarts Cafe MANAGER

WOW SISTA you wrote a lot !!1

Take the portkey

GRYFFINDOR MALE PREFECT

Old Post May 12th, 2004 08:35 AM
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

What I hate is when my friends say 'That's such a stupid book, its for children' and they haven't even read the BLURB!

Old Post May 12th, 2004 08:55 AM
Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tassie

yeah, you should see what some of the sites i've visited, have to say about hp relating to "devilry"

http://www.freethoughtfirefighters....f_Good_Evil.htm

Old Post May 12th, 2004 08:30 PM
celestial_moon
celes

omg christians r being sooooooooooooooooooooooooo stupid with this whoel issue...they burned like hundreds of 4th books when it came out. huh...fine by me...thats their moeny going down the drain.

-Don't leave us

Old Post May 12th, 2004 08:44 PM
celestial_moon is currently offline Click here to Send celestial_moon a Private Message Find more posts by celestial_moon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
hhhhr

come to think of it, polluting the environment is bad too, maybe worse than reading a fiction book about magic blink

Old Post May 13th, 2004 07:44 AM
hhhhr is currently offline Click here to Send hhhhr a Private Message Find more posts by hhhhr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tigress
Slash Queen Senior Member

my mum thinks I am sad. my brother thinks Iam cool.my husband thinks Iam obsessed ( but I think he's into it secretly he loves the films)and my daughter (5yrs old) thinks Iam cool she also loves harry potter.well there you go.

Gryffindors Official Hug Giver To All !!

UNI, DRACO MALFOY, ROGUE, MAIK, LIANSLO, AUROR_CHK, TASSIE MUSC
Gryffindor Prefect.

Old Post May 13th, 2004 02:09 PM
tigress is currently offline Click here to Send tigress a Private Message Find more posts by tigress Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Unicor777
Hogwarts Cafe MANAGER

quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix
What I hate is when my friends say 'That's such a stupid book, its for children' and they haven't even read the BLURB!

----------

Tell me about !!! How can a book of 700 pgs be meant only 4 children...
and Tigress don't give up, I also have difficulties with my girl friend she simply can not understand " the foolish side" in me reading those books... But for a start I manage to bring her on board, she was sorted to Ravenclaw, but doesn't come at all sad here!

Take the portkey

GRYFFINDOR MALE PREFECT

Old Post May 13th, 2004 02:35 PM
~Air Angel~
Armed & Dangerous

Most of my friends tease me (my coworkers) jokingly...and then others kind of give me that look like I am nuts or something.......

BUT what's funny was I told my husband the same things until I actually sat down and read a book last year...then i was hooked!!!

Currently Writing: An Adventure Bookl!!!

Old Post May 13th, 2004 03:42 PM
~Air Angel~ is currently offline Click here to Send ~Air Angel~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~Air Angel~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
RebelPhoenix

^That's exactly how it was for me smile

In university I had this friend who loved the books and would say how great they were and I was like 'yeaaah ok' wink and then when asked to go to the moive I said 'nah, it's a childrens film, it's not my thing!' Even though I knew lots of adults were into it to. Then when the film came out on dvd/video my sister got a copy and showed my mum, they reallyliked and got me to watch it, I liked it and thought it was ok and then thought the ending was too sappy. But I dunno, after a little while maybe a day or more I suddenly wanted to watch it again and after that I was hooked and I started watching it everyday, sometimes twice while I was doing my work! Then I realised I wasn't the only one lol cos some of my mum's friends were doing the same thing! Then the second film came out, I watched that at the cinema this time wink , the got Book 5 ordered to my house on the morning of release so I could be sure I'd get a copy embarrasment and then I bought all the other books and to this day I still love it! big grin

Old Post May 13th, 2004 06:42 PM
RebelPhoenix is currently offline Click here to Send RebelPhoenix a Private Message Find more posts by RebelPhoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tigress
Slash Queen Senior Member

quote:
Originally posted by airangel
Most of my friends tease me (my coworkers) jokingly...and then others kind of give me that look like I am nuts or something.......

BUT what's funny was I told my husband the same things until I actually sat down and read a book last year...then i was hooked!!!
I am trying to get my husband to read the books.my mates also give me grief but I don't care what they say I know theyre just jokeing

Old Post May 14th, 2004 12:36 AM
tigress is currently offline Click here to Send tigress a Private Message Find more posts by tigress Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celestial_moon
celes

i try 2 get my dad 2 read it but he wont. i even glued it 2 his pillow but he didnt read it still.

-Don't leave us

Old Post May 14th, 2004 12:53 PM
RebelPhoenix

^You glued it to his pillow! Lol! big grin

Official Gryffindor Lawyer

Old Post May 14th, 2004 02:39 PM