KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Franchises » Harry Potter » Prisoner of Azkaban is the only great HP film to date

Prisoner of Azkaban is the only great HP film to date
Started by: Solo

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Solo

Prisoner of Azkaban is the only great HP film to date

While the others are still entertaining, they're just that. PoA is the only entry that actually feels magical. Better acting, great direction, and a fantastic atmosphere. I'm hoping Order of the Phoenix doesn't let me down. And if it does, I pray to god that Cuaron comes back for Deathly Hollows.

Anyone feel the same way?

Old Post Jul 7th, 2007 06:35 PM
Solo is currently offline Click here to Send Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthsith19
Arm-Wrestler

I agree that out of the 4 it has the best acting and seems the most magical, however, the story is by far the worst of the films. The differences from the book to movie is the greatest in PoA, and if you didn't read the book before you watched the movie you wouldn't even understand most of it. My neighbors didn't read the book, just saw the movie, and they were like "wtf, how is Sirius not a bad guy?". The scene in the Shrieking Shack, which takes up 2 entire chapters, lasts like 3 minutes in the movie. They cut out so much, and there is no Quidditch Cup, no Oliver Wood, even though in the book he is like the fifth biggest character (Lupin is fourth I think). The fourth movie may be overall worse, though, but it's a toss-up between 3 and 4. If you don't give a damn about the book or the poor souls who just watch the movies and don't read the books then yes, 3 is the best. If you care about those things then 1 and 2 are the best, 3 and 4 are the worst.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2007 07:02 PM
darthsith19 is currently offline Click here to Send darthsith19 a Private Message Find more posts by darthsith19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Solo

I read the novels before I saw any of them. That said, I think this is how I'd rank the films:

The fourth could've been so great. But it's so rushed. I have a feeling OotP will follow in its' footsteps.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2007 08:18 PM
Solo is currently offline Click here to Send Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthsith19
Arm-Wrestler

So you don't really care about the movies being consistent with the books in the least then? Because the PoA movie and the book were completely different. That ruins it for me.

Old Post Jul 7th, 2007 10:11 PM
darthsith19 is currently offline Click here to Send darthsith19 a Private Message Find more posts by darthsith19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kovacs86

None of the films are great. 3's quite good (6.5/10) while 4 is woefully bad...

Thanks to Badwolf for the great sig!

Old Post Jul 10th, 2007 05:04 PM
Kovacs86 is currently offline Click here to Send Kovacs86 a Private Message Find more posts by Kovacs86 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

Cuaron should have done them all.

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Old Post Jul 10th, 2007 06:07 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Solo

quote: (post)
Originally posted by exanda kane
Cuaron should have done them all.

I'm afraid that the franchise may be ****ed if he doesn't return for the final installment.

Old Post Jul 10th, 2007 08:00 PM
Oomny
Promising Tomorrows

here is how I rank these films

i really did not like the sequel (2) which is pretty good because COS is enjoyable

Old Post Jul 10th, 2007 08:02 PM
Oomny is currently offline Click here to Send Oomny a Private Message Find more posts by Oomny Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
nmensfinest
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
They cut out so much, and there is no Quidditch Cup, no Oliver Wood, even though in the book he is like the fifth biggest character (Lupin is fourth I think).

Wood? Fifth biggest character? What the f**k?

Old Post Jul 11th, 2007 01:05 AM
nmensfinest is currently offline Click here to Send nmensfinest a Private Message Find more posts by nmensfinest Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LadyofLight
Walk into the Light

When PoA came out at first I really hated it because of all the changes to Hogwarts,Hagrid's cabin, the womping willow...etc. I felt that the appearance and location of everything should have remained the same throughout the movies.....My only problem with POA and GOF is that so much of the book was missing from the movie, I think the movies should be about 3 hours long because 2 just isn't enough....Just my thoughts anyway......

Old Post Jul 11th, 2007 02:39 AM
LadyofLight is currently offline Click here to Send LadyofLight a Private Message Find more posts by LadyofLight Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

While I understand why people get a little bit annoyed that things were left out from the books, you have to understand that literature and cinema are very different mediums.

The more the Harry Potter movies become films in their own right, rather than simple adaptations, the better. Prisoner of Azkaban really is the first stepping stone from a rushed adaptation to a fully fledged cinematic experience.

Bravely Calling Actors By Their Second Names

Old Post Jul 11th, 2007 11:42 AM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Unicor777
Hogwarts Cafe MANAGER

well, I like the book very much, but in terms of the movies I think that the CoS was the best

$$$REMEMBER DUMBLEDORE$$$

R.I.P Headmaster Severus Snape

Take the portkey

GRYFFINDOR MALE PREFECT

Tigg, RebPhoe, Maika, Rogue, Sarant, ADarksideJedi, MUSC

Old Post Jul 11th, 2007 01:13 PM
Unicor777 is currently offline Click here to Send Unicor777 a Private Message Find more posts by Unicor777 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SouthernGirl814
Why Can't He Be Mine

To me PoA was the worst of all the films it was waaayy too short and alot of stuff was taken out that needed to be in it..it didnt match the book at all it was horrible!! I was kinda upset when I saw it I didn't like that director very much

Here's how I list em

Old Post Jul 11th, 2007 05:28 PM
SouthernGirl814 is currently offline Click here to Send SouthernGirl814 a Private Message Find more posts by SouthernGirl814 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Unicor777
Hogwarts Cafe MANAGER

more and less similar order, I wait to see the Phoenix movie

$$$REMEMBER DUMBLEDORE$$$

R.I.P Headmaster Severus Snape

Take the portkey

GRYFFINDOR MALE PREFECT

Tigg, RebPhoe, Maika, Rogue, Sarant, ADarksideJedi, MUSC

Old Post Jul 11th, 2007 06:22 PM
Unicor777 is currently offline Click here to Send Unicor777 a Private Message Find more posts by Unicor777 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tigress
Slash Queen Senior Member

Weve basically watched them all grow up but saying that PoA and GoF did go really well though they did leave some huge chunks out.

Rants I want to ressurect Richard Harris! I so do not like Gambons prtrayal of our Albus, hmm maybe if we can get the ingredients ok so who can get flesh of a servant lol

Im hoping OoTP will be great it certainly looks like it but I know WB will have to go all out on HBP the book really dissapointed me maybe they can get Cauron to jazz it up lol.

Gryffindors Official Hug Giver To All !!

UNI, DRACO MALFOY, ROGUE, MAIK, LIANSLO, AUROR_CHK, TASSIE MUSC
Gryffindor Prefect.

Old Post Jul 16th, 2007 11:31 AM
tigress is currently offline Click here to Send tigress a Private Message Find more posts by tigress Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ladygrim
The Grim piratess

i think POA was the only one that felt like a 'Harry Potter' to me but now ive seen the fifth i think they have done a marvelous job with that big grin... dont get me wrong i liked the others they just didnt have the oomph i needed

Old Post Jul 16th, 2007 05:16 PM
ladygrim is currently offline Click here to Send ladygrim a Private Message Find more posts by ladygrim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote