KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » DVD Talk » Salo Rerelease

Salo Rerelease
Started by: BackFire

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Salo Rerelease

Finally after years of waiting the infamous and brutal Salo is getting it's long deserved rerelease from Criterion.

http://www.criterion.com/asp/release.asp?id=17

I love the cover art. They chose the image from the film that I always thought was the most visually impactful.

Release date is in August. All fans of extreme cinema should mark your calenders, for this is one of the big boys. One of the most genuinely disturbing films ever made and one that is worthy of it's reputation.

Old Post May 19th, 2008 10:01 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

It was the one rental watch for me, and wouldn't want it in my dvd collection. Not big on Pasolini's work. Agree with the cover though, good cover.

Old Post May 19th, 2008 04:38 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

I'm pretty satisified with my bootleg copy. So I'll pass...

Old Post May 19th, 2008 05:18 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

I've never seen this movie, but I'ver heard many, many great things about it. I'll be buying it.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post May 21st, 2008 10:28 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Impediment
I've never seen this movie, but I'ver heard many, many great things about it. I'll be buying it.

I'll be buying a copy also

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post May 21st, 2008 10:45 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willywilly99

Commentary by creature effects designers/creators Tom Woodruff Jr. and Alec Gillis

Last edited by Impediment on May 29th, 2008 at 08:20 AM

Old Post May 28th, 2008 09:36 PM
willywilly99 is currently offline Click here to Send willywilly99 a Private Message Find more posts by willywilly99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

Just a friendly reminder that this is coming out tomorrow.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2008 08:21 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

How much is it? I hate those godawful Criterion prices. It'll be worth it, though.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2008 09:16 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

Looks like it will cost around $30.

Not bad, considering before it cost about $500 to get an official copy.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2008 10:15 PM
Röland
Masked Vigilante

I have never seen this movie but I just have one question?

Is it comparable to HOSTEL where it was pretty much shock cinema with a shitty back story? Or is there more to this movie then the torture?

Rorschach's Journal: October 12th, 1985. Tonight, a comedian died in New York.

Old Post Aug 26th, 2008 12:46 AM
Röland is currently offline Click here to Send Röland a Private Message Find more posts by Röland Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Hostel, from what I have been told, is shit when compared to Salo.

Hostel was nothing more than Hype, in it's most extreme form, when publicizing a movie.

Old Post Aug 26th, 2008 12:58 AM
BackFire

Salo is on a whole different level from Hostel.

Salo actually has very little actual gore, it's mostly about atmosphere and tone that makes it so horrific.

The torture that is shown is sexual in nature, or mental.

So no, there is much much MUCH more to Salo than simple torture and what not, it is a very cerebral film and that is very often over looked.

Old Post Aug 26th, 2008 02:24 AM
Röland
Masked Vigilante

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BackFire
Salo is on a whole different level from Hostel.

Salo actually has very little actual gore, it's mostly about atmosphere and tone that makes it so horrific.

The torture that is shown is sexual in nature, or mental.

So no, there is much much MUCH more to Salo than simple torture and what not, it is a very cerebral film and that is very often over looked.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I may have to look into buying this film.

Rorschach's Journal: October 12th, 1985. Tonight, a comedian died in New York.

Old Post Aug 26th, 2008 06:46 PM
Röland is currently offline Click here to Send Röland a Private Message Find more posts by Röland Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

Picked this up a few minutes ago. Packaging is beautiful. And it comes with this great little booklet filled with essays about the film. And the extras seem really good so far.

Good package, well worth the price.

Old Post Aug 26th, 2008 09:11 PM
papabeard
tHe RiVeRmaN

For me, this is the kind of film you only have to watch once.

Old Post Aug 26th, 2008 09:59 PM
papabeard is currently offline Click here to Send papabeard a Private Message Find more posts by papabeard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

I'll be buying it this payday.

Old Post Aug 27th, 2008 11:59 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

As a special edition DVD whore that I am. This should be a buy. However, I'm putting my money on other things. Most likely it will be a while till I get a copy.

But most likely this will become quite a colletible. Back in 05 when CH was release on 2 disc dvd it eventually sold out with a period of time. many copies were produce and they went fast. I'm hoping that Criterion made enough copies of this edition. Would be a shame if I missed out.

Old Post Aug 28th, 2008 12:36 AM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

I'd buy it sooner than later because there are some pretty solid discounts on it right now.

At DVD planet it's only $25, normal asking price is anywhere from $30 - $40.

But yeah, it's a great set, great for collectors. And the picture is really improved! Everything looks really nice a clear and crisp.

And as you say, you never know how long these special edition cult movies will stay available.

Old Post Aug 28th, 2008 03:14 AM