KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » DVD Talk » Avatar Dvd/Bluray

Started by: coolmovies

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
coolmovies

Anyone picking this up ?? I also found this for 3D fans

The Blu-ray Disc Association has been wrestling with this one for a while, but now it's official. The much awaited 3D specification for Blu-ray discs has been decided on. Most of the information to come out of the announcement is what we expected, but there are a few surprises in there.
The codec being used for 3D video is MVC, an extension of the AVC codec that we're already familiar with. 3D file sizes are about 50% larger on average, which shouldn't be much of a problem for Blu-ray. Thankfully, multiple versions of the same movie won't have to go out, since the MVC encoding is fully backwards compatible to a 2D picture.

3D movies will play without any quality loss in full 1080p. Graphical menus will be fully 3D which is to be expected, but the announcement of 3D subtitles raises a few questions. It will be interesting to see exactly how readable the subtitles are and whether they compliment or hinder the 3D effect.
Playstation 3 owners will be happy to hear that 3D playback will be possible on their game consoles. It's fairly safe to assume that this will be coming in the form of a firmware update in the next few months. There's no word on other older players getting updates at the moment.
The Blu-ray Disc Association also points out that 3D on Blu-ray is 'display agnostic'. That is to say that whether you're watching on an LCD or Plasma, you're going to get the full 3D experience.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2010 02:56 PM
coolmovies is currently offline Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

Hardly going to be the same as in the cinema. I'll be buying the blu ray as long as both versions are avaliable in the same package.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2010 05:22 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

you mean blu ray and dvd??

Old Post Feb 4th, 2010 09:08 PM
coolmovies is currently offline Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

3D and 2D.

Old Post Feb 5th, 2010 07:07 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

quote: (post)
Originally posted by MildPossession
Hardly going to be the same as in the cinema. I'll be buying the blu ray as long as both versions are avaliable in the same package.

Yep nothing beats the big screen even if its blu ray

Old Post Feb 18th, 2010 09:45 PM
chomperx9
Restricted

Account Restricted

the 3D tvs are a waste of money at the moment because there still isnt alot of products yet that are compatible with it. and plus to get the 3D image on your tv you gotta wear the glasses just like at the theater

Old Post Feb 19th, 2010 05:49 AM
chomperx9 is currently offline Click here to Send chomperx9 a Private Message Find more posts by chomperx9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

I will be buying a copy or two

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Mar 15th, 2010 12:32 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

Didn't like the movie so...... won't be buying.

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Mar 15th, 2010 12:47 AM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

I will be getting it does'nt really bother me if the 3D is'nt included.

Old Post Mar 16th, 2010 07:11 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

its gonna be a steelbook

Old Post Mar 16th, 2010 07:19 PM
coolmovies

Old Post Mar 17th, 2010 02:29 PM
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's not £34.99 at least, it's £24.99 for the blu ray steelbook.

As I'm not bothered about special features/extras on most films, I'll be getting the limited edition steelbook with t-shirt/book/art cards/dvd version and so on. Decided to get it even if no 3D, pointless getting 3D now for this film.

Old Post Mar 17th, 2010 04:57 PM
T.M
Welcome to The Suck

It's not £34.99 at least, it's £24.99 for the blu ray steelbook.

As I'm not bothered about special features/extras on most films, I'll be getting the limited edition steelbook with t-shirt/book/art cards/dvd version and so on. Decided to get it even if no 3D, pointless getting 3D now for this film.

I have pre-ordered that steelbook edition.

Can't ever see myself wearing the T-Shirt though

Last edited by T.M on Mar 17th, 2010 at 09:39 PM

Old Post Mar 17th, 2010 09:34 PM
T.M is currently offline Click here to Send T.M a Private Message Find more posts by T.M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't wear such t-shirts outside, but I'll probably use it as night top, plus it will glow in the dark... smile

Old Post Mar 17th, 2010 11:31 PM
juliwats119
Restricted

Account Restricted

re

Originally posted by chomperx9
the 3D tvs are a waste of money at the moment because there still isnt alot of products yet that are compatible with it. and plus to get the 3D image on your tv you gotta wear the glasses just like at the theater

Can you suggest one?

Old Post Mar 18th, 2010 03:16 AM
juliwats119 is currently offline Click here to Send juliwats119 a Private Message Find more posts by juliwats119 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
T.M
Welcome to The Suck

I don't wear such t-shirts outside, but I'll probably use it as night top, plus it will glow in the dark... smile

I didn't know that it was glow in the dark.

I read earlier that the 3D version will be out around November time. Don't think I will get another version, the BLURAY 2D version will be fine for me.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2010 05:26 PM
T.M is currently offline Click here to Send T.M a Private Message Find more posts by T.M Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's pointless getting the 3D version unless you have the equipment.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2010 07:08 PM
T.M
Welcome to The Suck

Agreed and I am not paying to upgrade to 3D to watch at home because I think 3D is all about the experience for the audience and I am not inviting 100 people to my house to watch a movie.

I am still not sold on 3D at home seems kind of pointless to me personally.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2010 07:42 PM
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well it makes me ill, so I'm not spending hundreds and hundreds of pounds on something that makes me feel like that.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2010 03:37 PM
Saskaswan
DON'T PANIC

Will the Blu-Ray 3D come with the 3D glasses?
Also does the 3D version also have the 2D version on it?

Old Post Mar 19th, 2010 04:25 PM
Saskaswan is currently offline Click here to Send Saskaswan a Private Message Find more posts by Saskaswan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote