KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Spider-Man » Pros and Cons of USM (comics)

Pros and Cons of USM (comics)
Started by: Lord Magnus

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Lord Paradise

Pros and Cons of USM (comics)

Ultimate Spider-Man is an amazing phenomenon. From the mind of only one writer in the last eighty-some issues have come several characters that were dead-on to the original Spidey with a fresh new twist, and some who revolted me and almost made me cancel my subscription right then and there.

Here's my list.

Kingpin: The pizza scene in Issue 80 was brilliant. I love Ultimate Kingpin
Spider-Man: Great. Bendis might have wanted to wait a while more than he did for Peter to break out of his nerd shell, but great.
Mary-Jane: Remodeled a lot from the comics and definitely based more on the movies. MJ should not have been a nerd.
Kong: At first I was against the concept of Kong but he's become one of my favorite characters. I wonder if they're going to reveal he's actually Richard Fisk (the resemblance is uncanny)
Electro/Sandman: Basically the same characters, i have no dispute.
Doc Ock: So his tentacles are in the front. no need to whine.
Black Cat: More or less the same character.
Jean Dewolff: Too old to be a potential love interest like in mainstream Marvel, but I'll enjoy it when she dies.
Gwen Stacy: I subscribed around five issues before she died, but I didn't really like Ultimate Gwen. And her death gets -5 points for being in the Ultimate Carnage saga.
Venom: haven't read it or played it yet (tear)
Carnage: What do you get when you mix Peter Parker, Curt Connors and the cure for cancer turned alien symbiote? Why, Richard Parker, of course?
Green goblin: (hiss)
Hobgoblin: Combine the above with the fact that HARRY OSBORN ISN'T THE HOBGOBLIN and you get my feelings
Norman Osborn: Accurate to the character, too bad HIS ALTER-EGO IS SO MESSED UP
Kraven: He was among my favorite villains. To bad he's just Jeff Corwin who occasionally turns into the Man-Wolf or something (hiss)
Mysterio/Venom: Should have happened a lot sooner.
Everyone they've introduced in "Warriors" so far: Priceless

Old Post Oct 7th, 2005 12:41 PM
Lord Paradise is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Paradise a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Paradise Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sparkz

Re: Pros and Cons of USM (comics)

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lord Magnus
Ultimate Spider-Man is an amazing phenomenon. From the mind of only one writer in the last eighty-some issues have come several characters that were dead-on to the original Spidey with a fresh new twist, and some who revolted me and almost made me cancel my subscription right then and there.

Here's my list.

Kingpin: The pizza scene in Issue 80 was brilliant. I love Ultimate Kingpin
Spider-Man: Great. Bendis might have wanted to wait a while more than he did for Peter to break out of his nerd shell, but great.
Mary-Jane: Remodeled a lot from the comics and definitely based more on the movies. MJ should not have been a nerd.
Kong: At first I was against the concept of Kong but he's become one of my favorite characters. I wonder if they're going to reveal he's actually Richard Fisk (the resemblance is uncanny)
Electro/Sandman: Basically the same characters, i have no dispute.
Doc Ock: So his tentacles are in the front. no need to whine.
Black Cat: More or less the same character.
Jean Dewolff: Too old to be a potential love interest like in mainstream Marvel, but I'll enjoy it when she dies.
Gwen Stacy: I subscribed around five issues before she died, but I didn't really like Ultimate Gwen. And her death gets -5 points for being in the Ultimate Carnage saga.
Venom: haven't read it or played it yet (tear)
Carnage: What do you get when you mix Peter Parker, Curt Connors and the cure for cancer turned alien symbiote? Why, Richard Parker, of course?
Green goblin: (hiss)
Hobgoblin: Combine the above with the fact that HARRY OSBORN ISN'T THE HOBGOBLIN and you get my feelings
Norman Osborn: Accurate to the character, too bad HIS ALTER-EGO IS SO MESSED UP
Kraven: He was among my favorite villains. To bad he's just Jeff Corwin who occasionally turns into the Man-Wolf or something (hiss)
Mysterio/Venom: Should have happened a lot sooner.
Everyone they've introduced in "Warriors" so far: Priceless

I'd agree with all of that except I think pete is too whiney, ok so would we if all that shit happend but come on i don't want to read 10 pages of him whining every issue.

Gwen Stacy's death sucked.

Green Goblin I thought was awsome, when he was a mindless monster he was cool, he was pretty crap though when he through MJ off the Bridge, but he was friggin awsome in the Ultimate Six arc, he was baddass then.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2005 09:44 AM
Sparkz is currently offline Click here to Send Sparkz a Private Message Find more posts by Sparkz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doc Ock
The Master Planner

Why the hell would anyone whine if Ock's tentacles were in the front???

Old Post Oct 9th, 2005 03:15 AM
Doc Ock is currently offline Click here to Send Doc Ock a Private Message Find more posts by Doc Ock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

Originally posted by Doc Ock
Why the hell would anyone whine if Ock's tentacles were in the front???

Because some people are dumb. smart

Old Post Oct 9th, 2005 06:24 PM
H. S. 6 is currently offline Click here to Send H. S. 6 a Private Message Find more posts by H. S. 6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
doctorstrongbad

Its been good so far, a lot of people were complaining when it first came out. I like it a lot and look forward to seeing more of the plot and stories.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2005 07:38 PM
doctorstrongbad is currently offline Click here to Send doctorstrongbad a Private Message Find more posts by doctorstrongbad Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Drache53
Zombie Hunter

My uncle hates USM because of the art. THE ART. I love the art and I love USM. I've read every arc up to Hollywood. I'm DYING to read The Six.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2005 01:21 PM
Drache53 is currently offline Click here to Send Drache53 a Private Message Find more posts by Drache53 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Paradise

Six is crazy.
I'm gonna rip it off for Sea Wars: Episode 5 (watch for episodes 3 and 4: Revenge of the Fish and A New Threat when i get around to posting it in the Star Wars forums).
This has been an advertisement.
Seriously though with the Vulture: Bendis could make that the best spoof villain of all time.

Old Post Oct 12th, 2005 08:00 PM
Lord Paradise is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Paradise a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Paradise Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DBZ MAN
The First Super Sayain

i like everything in USM except how gwen died, too soon and a bad story. i completly agree with the fact that it makes no sense that peters dad is the face...wtf blink and a piece of blood even tho it's been geneticaly altered can do all that is mind buggling too. they shoulda stuck wd the symbiote idea. kingpin has to be one of the best villians in USM. he has no super powers and yet he makes my skin crawl.
o yeh another thing i don't like is the fact the spidey\peter is really braveless all of a sudden. he basicaly pulls the finger to all his villians, i can't see how a 15 year old kid can be so fearless, so early in the super hero game....than again i havn't been bitten by a radio active spider..

Old Post Oct 12th, 2005 09:27 PM
DBZ MAN is currently offline Click here to Send DBZ MAN a Private Message Find more posts by DBZ MAN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Paradise

Originally posted by DBZ MAN
i like everything in USM except how gwen died, too soon and a bad story. i completly agree with the fact that it makes no sense that peters dad is the face...wtf blink and a piece of blood even tho it's been geneticaly altered can do all that is mind buggling too. they shoulda stuck wd the symbiote idea. kingpin has to be one of the best villians in USM. he has no super powers and yet he makes my skin crawl.
o yeh another thing i don't like is the fact the spidey\peter is really braveless all of a sudden. he basicaly pulls the finger to all his villians, i can't see how a 15 year old kid can be so fearless, so early in the super hero game....than again i havn't been bitten by a radio active spider..

Spider-sense. He won't die or fear anything cause if anything's about to happen he gets all like WHOA! and the rest of the time he can go through life without fear of death. Now with Ezekiel and Morlun and his powers being all supernatural in Amazing it's possible he's immortal.

Old Post Oct 13th, 2005 07:10 PM
DBZ MAN
The First Super Sayain

i see what you mean, that would help alot...but still, which 15 year old kid would refuse to make out with someone dressed in leather...unless he's gay shifty

Old Post Oct 13th, 2005 07:41 PM
DBZ MAN is currently offline Click here to Send DBZ MAN a Private Message Find more posts by DBZ MAN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DBZ MAN
The First Super Sayain

i see what you mean, that would help alot...but still, which 15 year old kid would refuse to make out with some hot girl dressed in leather...unless he's gay shifty

Old Post Oct 13th, 2005 07:42 PM
Lord Paradise

People posted on my thread... I feel special.

Warriors is crazy though, I just read part 6. It's one issue of undulled senseless action. I twitched slightly.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2005 12:50 AM
Sparkz

i see what you mean, that would help alot...but still, which 15 year old kid would refuse to make out with some hot girl dressed in leather...unless he's gay shifty

Black cat?

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2005 07:56 AM
Sparkz is currently offline Click here to Send Sparkz a Private Message Find more posts by Sparkz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spiderman_RJ

except for the last arc warrior wich makes no sense at all, and the beggining that i hated.......and still dont like it, plus how gwen died, stupid and with consequences at all, no tears.....no meantion.....not even a funeral that was very unsensible,even not beeing the angel version of gwen she was way cool, but after she died thatīs all , her body is problably still at the morgue.
i wished he was going to make a special issue telling a flashback how they really bonded after what happend when she found out he was spidey ,but no......just cold death..........besides carnages didnt even show up more then 3 pages.......aff!!!!!
in the beggining tho i always loved mark bagley art since he was not a regular spiderman penciler, i kinda weirded out cos now he makes hands too big, i acepted but still dont like this.
usm is way cooler than the original one. mistic powers my ass.
i know this mistic go way back, in the first pumas fight it was brough open, then spider sense always could find the source of evil like loki, the astral form of doctor strange.....but the way they brough it back was stupid........and organic webbing is a sin.

Old Post Oct 22nd, 2005 10:04 AM
Spiderman_RJ is currently offline Click here to Send Spiderman_RJ a Private Message Find more posts by Spiderman_RJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Paradise

Warriors makes perfect sense.

Here's the story. The government's trying to crack down on Wilson Fisk's organization, and have forced the Kingpin to lay low for now. Hammerhead takes advantage of the situation by killing rival gang leader Silvermane and taking a foothold in Chinatown. Hammerhead's gnags in Chinatown are being slowly taking out by the areas protectors; Shang-Chi and Danny Rand, the Iron Fist.

Meanwhile, after breaking up with Mary-Jane Peter Parker is regressing more and more into his Spider-Man identity, and is considering starting a relationship with Black Cat, who is recently back in town and considering joining with Hammerhead in his attempt to take down Fisk.

Kingpin, meanwhile, is launching a two-pronged attack against Hammerhead, using both Spider-Man and his mercenary elektra against him. And in the middle of it all is the mysterious vigilante Moon Knight, who is dedicated to wiping out just about everyone except him...

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2005 12:14 AM
Doc Ock
The Master Planner

Part 6 of Warriors was pretty crappy and corny.

Only good thing that happened was MoonKnight got stabbed.

And how many times is Bendis going to have Spidey get his ass kicked by Elektra??

He can take down super powered Goblins,Ock,Venom,Electro etc but can't handle a ninja chick??? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Oct 25th, 2005 03:04 PM
Doc Ock is currently offline Click here to Send Doc Ock a Private Message Find more posts by Doc Ock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Symbiotica
Arch-villainess

Originally posted by Drache53
My uncle hates USM because of the art. THE ART. I love the art and I love USM. I've read every arc up to Hollywood. I'm DYING to read The Six.

Six is one of the biggest disappointments you'll ever read; the final throw-down between heros & villains lasts about 5 pages. We see one, count-'em one panel of Electro vs. Thor: there should have been an entire issue devoted to just that! Ock gets taken down stupid, GG goes "Grrrrr!" and blah...... just awful. Peter looks like a mental defective [true!] And acts like one, too....

It started off so promising, too. Plus the art really sucks.

Can't say that I recommend it.

As for Elektra, well, that's yet more proof of Bendis' overwhelming inner need to be dominated by a woman. Ever notice? His women are either total teary-eyed wimps or dominatrixes. And while I am sure your average woman would have no problem smacking Bendis up, Spidey is different and no, it's wrong to have every female in the Marvelverse sitting on Spidey's head and making him say Uncle.

Sorry. That's just wrong.

Old Post Oct 26th, 2005 03:16 AM
Symbiotica is currently offline Click here to Send Symbiotica a Private Message Find more posts by Symbiotica Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DBZ MAN
The First Super Sayain

he jus a kid with no martial art techniques and bendis probaly feels he should not be sexist

Old Post Oct 26th, 2005 01:40 PM
Doc Ock
The Master Planner

he jus a kid with no martial art techniques and bendis probaly feels he should not be sexist

That's a silly excuse.

He can take down Ock,Electro,GG,and even Kingpin but he can't take down Elektra????

That is stupid.

Every time they meet she kicks his ass.

Old Post Oct 26th, 2005 01:50 PM
Spiderman_RJ

he couldnt take down elektra for the mere fact she is a ninja, and her speed is like silver sabe, so they are human but posses overall human habilitys, plus elektra was doctrinate by a mistic ninja clan , or sth of the sort, so her speed is equal or slight faster then spider, and as for her punching she seems stronger then she really is on 616 universe.
and she is the only woman who have beated spider......so what is he talking about ?

Old Post Oct 26th, 2005 02:11 PM
Spiderman_RJ is currently offline Click here to Send Spiderman_RJ a Private Message Find more posts by Spiderman_RJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote