KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Spider-Man » Why Spidey doesn't crack jokes in the movie:

Why Spidey doesn't crack jokes in the movie:
Started by: BlackC@

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BlackC@
Confront the darkness

Why Spidey doesn't crack jokes in the movie:

It would get too annoying and his jokes would be too lame.
Him showing humor at a dangerous time would show a very immaturity side and his inability to take something like a big fight or someone's life a stake seriously.

Imagine;

Venom: I've got Mary-Jane and I'm going to throw her off this building!
Spidey: *Lame-ass joke*
Venom: Wow. Way to take the situation seriously...

Makes sense. Nearly all the times he's confronted a villain in the movies has been a very serious time, so it's not like he's going to crack some stupid joke.

Old Post Feb 8th, 2007 03:49 AM
BlackC@ is currently offline Click here to Send BlackC@ a Private Message Find more posts by BlackC@ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SpyCspider

IMO...his jokes are gonnabe funny to some, not so funny to others. While reading a comic, you can laugh all you want but in a movie theater, it might come off really lame.

Plus, a wiseass isn't exactly a "good" role model for the kids and you can tell they tried hard to sell that angle with the movies, considering how many times they keep putting in scenes of "great power, comes great responsibility" or Aunt May telling Peter how kids need heroes, etc.

Old Post Feb 8th, 2007 07:14 AM
SpyCspider is currently offline Click here to Send SpyCspider a Private Message Find more posts by SpyCspider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackC@
Confront the darkness

Peter is so much more likeable without the jokes.

Old Post Feb 8th, 2007 08:03 AM
BlackC@ is currently offline Click here to Send BlackC@ a Private Message Find more posts by BlackC@ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules
The doctor

He only made jokes when he fought that wrestler, and his jokes weren't funny

Old Post Feb 8th, 2007 11:05 AM
steverules is currently offline Click here to Send steverules a Private Message Find more posts by steverules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sparkz

quote: (post)
Originally posted by steverules
He only made jokes when he fought that wrestler, and his jokes weren't funny

Thats because the jokes were like your momma insults that you'd hear a 13 year old using and thinking they were brill.

Old Post Feb 8th, 2007 08:31 PM
Sparkz is currently offline Click here to Send Sparkz a Private Message Find more posts by Sparkz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mace Skywalker

Maybe you should pay more attention. Spidey makes lots of jokes during the movies.

Old Post Feb 8th, 2007 08:34 PM
Mace Skywalker is currently offline Click here to Send Mace Skywalker a Private Message Find more posts by Mace Skywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BlackC@
Confront the darkness

Maybe you should, be he DOESN'T!!!

In the second the only joke he made was "He's your change!"

That was it, idiot...

Old Post Feb 8th, 2007 11:55 PM
Spiderman_RJ

oh yah, mace he does.....(o_O)

BC is right on the spot, the reason he doesnt is in first movie his uncle dies, i dont think he would be in a mood to crack a joke,
in the second movie, well look all of the crap he took,not a good moment either, and on this one, he seem very furious, i dont think many jokes will be in it. aside.

Old Post Feb 8th, 2007 11:59 PM
Spiderman_RJ is currently offline Click here to Send Spiderman_RJ a Private Message Find more posts by Spiderman_RJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules
The doctor

In the spider-man 2 game (ain't played the first) I think he makes quite a few jokes in that

Old Post Feb 9th, 2007 10:43 AM
steverules is currently offline Click here to Send steverules a Private Message Find more posts by steverules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spiderman_RJ

wth? we are talking about the movies, who cares about a game?
MOOOOOOOOOVIIIIIIIIIIIEE, wake up steve.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2007 11:19 AM
Spiderman_RJ is currently offline Click here to Send Spiderman_RJ a Private Message Find more posts by Spiderman_RJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules
The doctor

well spider-man 2 game based on the movie...is has something to do with the movie, I know we're talking about the movies which is why I talked about the spider-man 2 game which is linked too the movie...in a way.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2007 12:23 PM
Spiderman_RJ

its not linked at all steve ,its only BASED on the movie, like the movie is ADAPTED from the comics.

you really makes no sense at all

Old Post Feb 9th, 2007 01:08 PM
steverules
The doctor

Adapted from the comics...is that why they gave spider-man organic webbing whilst in the comics back then he had web shooters? Look I'm just saying he makes more jokes in the game than he does in the movie.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2007 03:10 PM
Sparkz

Originally posted by Spiderman_RJ
oh yah, mace he does.....(o_O)

BC is right on the spot, the reason he doesnt is in first movie his uncle dies, i dont think he would be in a mood to crack a joke,
in the second movie, well look all of the crap he took,not a good moment either, and on this one, he seem very furious, i dont think many jokes will be in it. aside.

But a big part of Spider-man's character is that he still makes jokes in spite of all these things happening to him, after all he could have made a joke in Spider-man 1 after Uncle Ben died after all it wasn't like it had been 2 weeks since he had died, it was a couple of months. Yes when he was going after the burglar he wouldn't but afterwards.

And in Spider-man 2 Spider-man is always going through crap and making jokes.

Its the basis of his character.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2007 06:22 PM
Sparkz is currently offline Click here to Send Sparkz a Private Message Find more posts by Sparkz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spiderman_RJ

sparkz understand it was the MOOD of the movie, not a matter of time,you get? he had a lost, a tranformation and than another lost, his "almost" father figure, dies, his best friend father dies at his hand (not quite but he is spiderman and blame himself so....)
i believe that in the second movie there could had been fun joke though, the combat scenes were great but there was no dialogue, that i though it was missing.

and you have to think what hapens in comics may not fit in the movie,imagine watching a movie where spiderman is constantly talking to himself like he does, in the comics? great! in the movie...boooooooring.you follow me?

Old Post Feb 9th, 2007 06:48 PM
Sparkz

Originally posted by Spiderman_RJ
sparkz understand it was the MOOD of the movie, not a matter of time,you get? he had a lost, a tranformation and than another lost, his "almost" father figure, dies, his best friend father dies at his hand (not quite but he is spiderman and blame himself so....)
i believe that in the second movie there could had been fun joke though, the combat scenes were great but there was no dialogue, that i though it was missing.

and you have to think what hapens in comics may not fit in the movie,imagine watching a movie where spiderman is constantly talking to himself like he does, in the comics? great! in the movie...boooooooring.you follow me?

I agree but there were a couple of scenes they could fit some humor in, and maybe give peter Parker more of a personality besides "I wuv Mary Jane, my life sucks, but I wuv Mary Jane" sure its [art of his character, but it's only part of it.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2007 11:10 PM
BlackC@
Confront the darkness

No it's NOT the basis or his character. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Old Post Feb 9th, 2007 11:42 PM
Spiderman_RJ

it IS the basis of his character, ever since the first fought chamaleon he made a joke while fighting.

Old Post Feb 10th, 2007 12:24 AM
Sparkz

Originally posted by BlackC@
No it's NOT the basis or his character. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Excuse me but you have no right insulting my intelligence over the character as you have obviously no understanding of the character, Spider-man has always always made jokes while he was fighting it is part of his strategy to get the enemy angry and make mistakes, it also sometimes hides his fear, it also allows him to cut loose as a person when he can't as peter Parker for example when he is around Jonah Jameson.

The only time he hasn't made jokes while fighting is when he is seriously depressed and using the identity for an escape or when someone close to him has just died and he is on a mission of vengeance.

Its not his complete character but it is one of his main parts, next thing you'll tell me is that one of Deadpool's main characteristics isn't being an annoying merc with a mouth (At least to the other characters) or one of the Hulks main characteristics isn't being angry. Would you like me to go on or should I stop this rant now... or should we go around the forum asking people whether a major part of Peter's character is being a wise ass?

Old Post Feb 10th, 2007 09:41 AM
BlackC@
Confront the darkness

Jesus H. Christ! Don't get so defensive!

Humor is not the basis of his character.

His mental strength, kidness, shyness, and reliability are the basis of his character.

Old Post Feb 10th, 2007 10:22 AM