KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Spider-Man » Hell No. why did marvel do this

Hell No. why did marvel do this
Started by: rox

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
rox

Hell No. why did marvel do this

i don't believe this

Those who know Spider-Man only from Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst in the movies might be surprised to learn that in the comic book, the web-spinning hero has been married for almost 21 years.
That's why the comic world is in an uproar over Marvel Comics' decision to undo the marriage of Peter Parker and red-haired bombshell Mary Jane Watson, reversing two decades of storytelling.

In Amazing Spider-Man #545 last week, Peter and Mary Jane make a tearful deal with the devil-like character Mephisto: In exchange for saving Aunt May's life, Mephisto erases all traces of the Peter-Mary Jane marriage from memory.

In the issue out this week, subtitled Brand New Day, Peter Parker returns to his roots — young, nerdy and single. Aunt May is alive and well and Mary Jane is again just part of the cast. The marriage never happened.

"People are very upset. They erased a lot of stuff that had been set in stone," says John Newman, manager of Ultimate Comics in Chapel Hill, N.C., on Wednesday as customers came in to buy the opening chapter of Brand New Day. To help emphasize the new start, Amazing Spider-Man will go thrice-monthly.

"We knew it would be a very controversial thing to do," says Joe Quesada, Marvel's editor in chief, who believed so much in the project that he drew the crucial issues himself. "Looking into the future, this is really the right thing to do for the long-term health of the character."

Spider-Man, created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko in 1962, was a hit, connecting with young readers because he was a geeky teenager, shy with girls and uncertain of how to use his powers. But in 1987, Peter and Mary Jane, by then a fashion model, got married. Marvel had instant regrets.

"I remember editors and editors in chief lamenting that a married Spider-Man was not where we want to be," Quesada says. "A married Peter Parker makes for a less interesting soap opera than a single Peter Parker going about his nerdy kind of life."

Writers tried everything: The couple separated for a while. She miscarried. And in a much-criticized story line, Marvel tried to convince readers that Peter Parker had not gotten married, but his clone. That didn't stick, either. Then Quesada took over and insisted the marriage just couldn't continue.

"Nobody wants to read about a married Spider-Man," says Craig Shutt, a columnist for Comics Buyers Guide. "But in the short run, it's a terrible idea. It disrespects the readers by saying everything they read is wrong."

At DC Comics, Superman is married to Lois Lane, disrupting that title's long-standing tensions. DC declined to comment for this story.

Quesada is steadfast that for Spider-Man, the move is the right one: "Ultimately we have to do this to keep this character fresh for this generation and generations to come."

Old Post Jan 11th, 2008 03:09 AM
rox is currently offline Click here to Send rox a Private Message Find more posts by rox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Re: Hell No. why did marvel do this

quote: (post)
Originally posted by rox
i don't believe this

Those who know Spider-Man only from Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst in the movies might be surprised to learn that in the comic book, the web-spinning hero has been married for almost 21 years.
That's why the comic world is in an uproar over Marvel Comics' decision to undo the marriage of Peter Parker and red-haired bombshell Mary Jane Watson, reversing two decades of storytelling.

In Amazing Spider-Man #545 last week, Peter and Mary Jane make a tearful deal with the devil-like character Mephisto: In exchange for saving Aunt May's life, Mephisto erases all traces of the Peter-Mary Jane marriage from memory.

In the issue out this week, subtitled Brand New Day, Peter Parker returns to his roots — young, nerdy and single. Aunt May is alive and well and Mary Jane is again just part of the cast. The marriage never happened.

"People are very upset. They erased a lot of stuff that had been set in stone," says John Newman, manager of Ultimate Comics in Chapel Hill, N.C., on Wednesday as customers came in to buy the opening chapter of Brand New Day. To help emphasize the new start, Amazing Spider-Man will go thrice-monthly.

"We knew it would be a very controversial thing to do," says Joe Quesada, Marvel's editor in chief, who believed so much in the project that he drew the crucial issues himself. "Looking into the future, this is really the right thing to do for the long-term health of the character."

Spider-Man, created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko in 1962, was a hit, connecting with young readers because he was a geeky teenager, shy with girls and uncertain of how to use his powers. But in 1987, Peter and Mary Jane, by then a fashion model, got married. Marvel had instant regrets.

"I remember editors and editors in chief lamenting that a married Spider-Man was not where we want to be," Quesada says. "A married Peter Parker makes for a less interesting soap opera than a single Peter Parker going about his nerdy kind of life."

Writers tried everything: The couple separated for a while. She miscarried. And in a much-criticized story line, Marvel tried to convince readers that Peter Parker had not gotten married, but his clone. That didn't stick, either. Then Quesada took over and insisted the marriage just couldn't continue.

"Nobody wants to read about a married Spider-Man," says Craig Shutt, a columnist for Comics Buyers Guide. "But in the short run, it's a terrible idea. It disrespects the readers by saying everything they read is wrong."

At DC Comics, Superman is married to Lois Lane, disrupting that title's long-standing tensions. DC declined to comment for this story.

Quesada is steadfast that for Spider-Man, the move is the right one: "Ultimately we have to do this to keep this character fresh for this generation and generations to come."

I'm actually happy they went back to his roots. I wasn't alive back when he was a nerdy kid with no idea of girls. All I had was Ultimate Spiderman. Since they went back to his roots, I get a chance to stick with him through it too.

Plus, there's all the other bonuses. This was a great idea.

PWNT

Old Post Jan 11th, 2008 03:54 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rox

i hate it

Old Post Jan 11th, 2008 06:29 AM
rox is currently offline Click here to Send rox a Private Message Find more posts by rox Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules
The doctor

To put it simply marvel f*ucked up with spider-man

Old Post Jan 11th, 2008 10:07 AM
steverules is currently offline Click here to Send steverules a Private Message Find more posts by steverules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

Damn straight.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2008 10:15 AM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spideys Sister
Official Spidey Fangirl

Originally posted by steverules
To put it simply marvel f*ucked up with spider-man
What else is new...?

Old Post Jan 11th, 2008 07:29 PM
Spideys Sister is currently offline Click here to Send Spideys Sister a Private Message Find more posts by Spideys Sister Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

Marvel are going back to the sewer for this.

Bring back Classic spidy!!!

Old Post Jan 11th, 2008 07:50 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Marvel hopes they'll make a lot of money, but with a lot of resentment towards this, they may not even break even.

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jan 11th, 2008 08:21 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rox

Originally posted by JediSamuraiMRB
Marvel hopes they'll make a lot of money, but with a lot of resentment towards this, they may not even break even.

i always had hope for spidey and mj.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2008 05:13 AM
Comicbook_kid
Crom's champion

Shocked

I have been a lifelong Spider-man fan and collector for over 23 years now. I started reading and collecting Spidey since I was around 8 years old. I have put up with and bought the good AND the bad Spidey stories over the years...but after reading what Marvel is now doing to this iconic character, which I have loved my whole life, I AM DONE!

I am absolutely done with Spider-man FOREVER now. I have NEVER, and I do mean NEVER been more disgusted with Marvel than right now. Do you hear me Marvel??? You have now lost a lifelong Spider-man fan, reader, and collector and I hope legions follow me!!! Thank you Marvel for SINCERELY f**king up a great character and a great comic.

I. AM. DONE.

Conan, what is best in life? To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and sigs by Beta Ray Howard.

Last edited by Comicbook_kid on Jan 12th, 2008 at 06:14 AM

Old Post Jan 12th, 2008 06:07 AM
Comicbook_kid is currently offline Click here to Send Comicbook_kid a Private Message Find more posts by Comicbook_kid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

Same here my friend, they ruined Spider-Man all the way back in 2001.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2008 11:25 AM
Sam Z
Restricted

Account Restricted

Soooooooo... how do we know what did happen and what's didn't? Harry's alive, Peter is no longer an avenger and never was one, so all of the avengers stories have never happened. All the marvel team-up and friendly neighborhood stories are no longer canon??? What was the point of that talk with Jameson then? So now he's back at hating Spiderman?
"One more day" is a new definition of word "stupid"...

Old Post Jan 12th, 2008 08:33 PM
Sam Z is currently offline Click here to Send Sam Z a Private Message Find more posts by Sam Z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

It has confused me.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2008 09:08 PM
General_Iroh
White Guy

Marvel ruined something...what a surprise.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2008 01:57 AM
General_Iroh is currently offline Click here to Send General_Iroh a Private Message Find more posts by General_Iroh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

laughing out loud but it is true 100% true, as I never fail to stop mentioning.

Old Post Jan 14th, 2008 10:35 AM
Ra˙ne
Dark Queen

Originally posted by Menetnashté
Marvel ruined something...what a surprise.

Marvel has ****ed up before but this is beyond just a simple screw up EVERYTHING that Peter have been through is just gone now. And correct me if I'm wrong but because of this does anyone remember Spider Man unmasking himself during the civil war?

Old Post Jan 20th, 2008 10:03 PM
Ra˙ne is currently offline Click here to Send Ra˙ne a Private Message Find more posts by Ra˙ne Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

True, I still don't understand how him divorcing MJ brings harry back?

Any ideas, one thing is for sure Venom better come back, the real Venom.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2008 10:05 PM
Ra˙ne
Dark Queen

Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
True, I still don't understand how him divorcing MJ brings harry back?

Any ideas, one thing is for sure Venom better come back, the real Venom.

Umm that's a good question harry should still be dead. Did you think that blond girl was Gwen Stacey?

Old Post Jan 20th, 2008 10:07 PM
Ra˙ne is currently offline Click here to Send Ra˙ne a Private Message Find more posts by Ra˙ne Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

Well apparently she is still dead, so I don't understand how this works anymore, now you have to think about other heroes, like the NA since Spider-Man no longer joined, so there lives have changed, classic and dead villains may return (not carnage, please not him no expression ) so...it's, it's just one big mess.

Old Post Jan 20th, 2008 10:11 PM
Ra˙ne
Dark Queen

So does this change anything as far as the civil war and does spider man still have his new spider powers?

Old Post Jan 20th, 2008 10:23 PM