KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Spider-Man » What Spidey villains are eye candy?

Which Spiderman villains are 'eye candy'?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Green Goblin only 0 0%
Doc Ock only 1 9.09%
Venom only 4 36.36%
Green Goblin and Doc Ock 2 18.18%
Green Goblin and Venom 0 0%
Doc Ock and Venom 1 9.09%
Green Goblin, Doc Ock, and Venom are all eye candy 3 27.27%
Total: 11 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

What Spidey villains are eye candy?
Started by: werehawk

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
werehawk

What Spidey villains are eye candy?

Hello all,
This in regards to some disagreements lately in a few threads, notably the "Why Sam Raimi doesn't like Venom thread". The arguments (on all sides) have primarily boiled down to opinions (including Raimi's) on who looks cool and who, looks aside, is a good character with the only agreement being that Doc Ock, Green Goblin, and Venom are the three main Spiderman villains.

My poll is simple. Which villains look cool (i.e. are eye candy)? If there is enough interest, maybe I'll make a poll asking which of these Big Three have character and substance.

Last edited by werehawk on Dec 28th, 2008 at 11:56 PM

Old Post Dec 28th, 2008 11:53 PM
werehawk is currently offline Click here to Send werehawk a Private Message Find more posts by werehawk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Rhythmic

They all look cool, and all have great characters(minus Venom post-80s).

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 12:53 AM
Mr. Rhythmic is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Rhythmic a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Rhythmic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
werehawk

So vote TK! I'm half trying to prove a point to 'Doc Ock' that not only Venom looks cool.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 01:06 AM
werehawk is currently offline Click here to Send werehawk a Private Message Find more posts by werehawk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Rhythmic

quote: (post)
Originally posted by werehawk
So vote TK! I'm half trying to prove a point to 'Doc Ock' that not only Venom looks cool.

My choice isn't up there.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 01:26 AM
Mr. Rhythmic is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Rhythmic a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Rhythmic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Black Yoshi
The Best Yoshi

I believe all three of those villains are eye candy. In fact, I'm sure that the main reason why they have young fans is because of their appearances and abilities.

Last edited by Black Yoshi on Dec 29th, 2008 at 01:37 AM

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 01:32 AM
Black Yoshi is currently offline Click here to Send Black Yoshi a Private Message Find more posts by Black Yoshi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Keehar

I just read the Raimi hates Venom thread. I don't think that was ever in denial. At least not entirely. The villains as they were drawn in Stan Lee's day looked rather goofy. It was Stan's fab writing of them that made them a success.

The arguement was that the main reason Venom is liked is because he's eye candy.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 03:18 AM
Keehar is currently offline Click here to Send Keehar a Private Message Find more posts by Keehar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doc Ock
The Master Planner

Originally posted by Keehar
I just read the Raimi hates Venom thread. I don't think that was ever in denial. At least not entirely. The villains as they were drawn in Stan Lee's day looked rather goofy. It was Stan's fab writing of them that made them a success.

The arguement was that the main reason Venom is liked is because he's eye candy.

That's it exactly! I mean lets compare the classic looks to the more modern stuff from the last couple of decades:

(please log in to view the image)

The more modern renditions of Ock and Goblin are certainly pleasing to the eye. But nobody could accuse them of being eye candy back when they were created. No way.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 03:28 AM
Doc Ock is currently offline Click here to Send Doc Ock a Private Message Find more posts by Doc Ock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
werehawk

Originally posted by Doc Ock
But nobody could accuse them of being eye candy back when they were created. No way.

Actually I can. Or at least my 13-year-old self of when I first got to know Doc Ock can. I really found his character visually appealing right away. Arms especially but costume too. And he was my favorite Marvel action figure (Secret Wars set), even more than Spiderman.

As for Green Goblin, no arguments at all. Except that I still find his costume lame (but not as lame as Raimi's version).

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 03:57 AM
Doc Ock
The Master Planner

Actually I can. Or at least my 13-year-old self of when I first got to know Doc Ock can. I really found his character visually appealing right away. Arms especially but costume too. And he was my favorite Marvel action figure (Secret Wars set), even more than Spiderman.

Well, I can't argue with you there. That is your opinion. Although I think it's rather cool that you liked classic Ock for both reasons. I always loved the tentacles as well, and how he was almost like a giant spider himself. Not many of the villains could fight Spidey on a wall, or follow him up a wall, or building in wall crawling style like that.

The green spandex and orange boots didn't do much for me. But the writing of the character was superb.

quote:
As for Green Goblin, no arguments at all. Except that I still find his costume lame (but not as lame as Raimi's version).

I hated Harry's more. He was on a flying surfboard with a paintballer's mask on. Yeeeeesh.

Last edited by Doc Ock on Dec 29th, 2008 at 04:10 AM

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 04:07 AM
Doc Ock is currently offline Click here to Send Doc Ock a Private Message Find more posts by Doc Ock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Green Goblins costums was allright with Spider-man 1, But i could'nt see way they did'nt go with his costume from the comics.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 04:55 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

My vote isn't on there, but Octupus, Green Goblin, Vulture, Mysterio...

****. Everyone who pretty much started off as some random dude and then turned into a crazy ass New York dude looks goofy as hell.

I'd say that Venom, Carnage, Lizard, and Scorpion are the most "eye candy" worthy. Lizard has a good story though with the whole "Duality" thing... but meh. Venom and Carnage are still the worst though with the latter being the weakest of the two.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 10:41 AM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
harri
I may be a geek

you ock and goblin fans can say all that, but i believe venom is more popular with comic fans on a whole, when your new to spidey comics or don't really know alot about it, i'm sure you would think spiderman....o and venom.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 12:06 PM
harri is currently offline Click here to Send harri a Private Message Find more posts by harri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Because Venom is such an aesthetically pleasing character that he's more popular. If you ask an eight year old who his favorite Spiderman character is he'll probably say Venom or Carnage. If you ask them the difference between the motifs and damages made by the Symbiotes and say, Green Goblin, they won't understand. Venom is the Halo 3 of Spiderman villains. Nice to look at and easy to understand.

Because of that he's popular, and because he's popular he's put into more mdeia, for example, Marvel vs. Capcom (Spidey for the hero, Venom for the villain). Because he's in more media he's more recognizble and the more eight year olds see him and he becomes more popular...

You're right, Venom's probably the most popular of Spidey's villains in comic fan gorups. But if you ask them why, at least 90% will say "Because he's cool". You ask them to extrapolate. they'll say that he's "Like Spiderman but a black guy".

Very few people like Venom because of what he is underneath or represents. Most fans aren't as intelligent as Darkhalen.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 12:15 PM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
harri
I may be a geek

lol i have said in another thread why i like venom, not because if his looks, but because his similarities with spidey, venom was created because of spiderman. I agree with anybody about the venom/mac gargan thing, but eddie brock was great as venom, and i do like the fact that he wasn't actually working in the daily bugle. People get confused with that. Venom is popular because he is always been seen with spidey. Some fans of ock and goblin try to bring down venom, like on this forum. Seriously guys, there's no need. It is all opinion, my opinion is that venom is spidey's greatest enemy, and a thread like 'why sam raimi hates venom' isn't going to change it.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 12:59 PM
harri is currently offline Click here to Send harri a Private Message Find more posts by harri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doc Ock
The Master Planner

Originally posted by Final Blaxican
Because Venom is such an aesthetically pleasing character that he's more popular. If you ask an eight year old who his favorite Spiderman character is he'll probably say Venom or Carnage. If you ask them the difference between the motifs and damages made by the Symbiotes and say, Green Goblin, they won't understand. Venom is the Halo 3 of Spiderman villains. Nice to look at and easy to understand.

Because of that he's popular, and because he's popular he's put into more mdeia, for example, Marvel vs. Capcom (Spidey for the hero, Venom for the villain). Because he's in more media he's more recognizble and the more eight year olds see him and he becomes more popular...

You're right, Venom's probably the most popular of Spidey's villains in comic fan gorups. But if you ask them why, at least 90% will say "Because he's cool". You ask them to extrapolate. they'll say that he's "Like Spiderman but a black guy".

Very few people like Venom because of what he is underneath or represents. Most fans aren't as intelligent as Darkhalen.

Exactly.

Well said.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 02:03 PM
harri
I may be a geek

I'm sorry, forget about my post, me and darkhalen have very similair reasons why venom's our favourite. But i defo don't like venom just because he's cool.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 04:57 PM
Phoenix2001

I just don't see what's wrong with liking Venom because he's kool anyways. You can say Ock and GG have more interesting stories, but not everyone will agree to that, not because they're stupid and can't understand an in depth story but perhaps because that some readers may not be interested in the particular writing that handles Ock and GG characters. Some readers actually like the Venom stories for the writing being used, regardless of the stories' quality.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 06:04 PM
Phoenix2001 is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix2001 a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix2001 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

There's nothing wrong with it at all... but don't deny it's brought up for discussion.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 06:41 PM
harri
I may be a geek

Originally posted by Phoenix2001
I just don't see what's wrong with liking Venom because he's kool anyways. You can say Ock and GG have more interesting stories, but not everyone will agree to that, not because they're stupid and can't understand an in depth story but perhaps because that some readers may not be interested in the particular writing that handles Ock and GG characters. Some readers actually like the Venom stories for the writing being used, regardless of the stories' quality.
well said mate.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 06:43 PM
Keehar

Originally posted by Final Blaxican

Well said.

Originally posted by Phoenix2001
I just don't see what's wrong with liking Venom because he's kool anyways.

I don't think anyone said it was wrong to like him because you think he's cool. I think the arguement was that deeming him cool because he looks great and has similar powers to Spider-Man doesn't make him a worthy character for a movie.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 07:42 PM
Keehar is currently offline Click here to Send Keehar a Private Message Find more posts by Keehar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote