KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Supermans Death: confusion

Supermans Death: confusion
Started by: Dumbledore>all

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Dumbledore>all

Supermans Death: confusion

Hey i really havnt kept up much with the super man comics but iv heard alot of times that superman actually does die but then others keep saying he doesn't Can someone post links to the comic with him fighting doomsday and dying or explain it out to me? Superman killed doomsday and himself fighting him. Then Superman recharges at a lab and resurrects his worn out body? Is that how it went?

P.S. also were there any other events where superman came really close to dying or thought dead?

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2005 10:43 PM
Dumbledore>all is currently offline Click here to Send Dumbledore>all a Private Message Find more posts by Dumbledore>all Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jargon343

I've read 'the return of Superman' a few times now and I'm still not completely sure how he came back.

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2005 12:02 AM
Jargon343 is currently offline Click here to Send Jargon343 a Private Message Find more posts by Jargon343 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheKahn
The Dude abides

The is how that question was answered on the D.C. message board.

regularguy

Re: How did Superman come back to life???
Posted: Sep 6, 2005 6:29 PM Reply

Superman had pretty much depleted his extensive solar reserves in the fight against Doomsday (which also involved Doomsday pounding on him pretty damn badly). At the end of it, Supes went into a coma (and then some). If he'd been left out on a rooftop with sunshine beating down on him, maybe he would've recuperated -- but stupid humans that we are, we sealed him into a coffin and sealed the coffin up in a crypt and otherwise cut him off from the stuff that powers his abilities.

So, instead, he eventually died; his soul left the weakening comatose body and everything. As it happens, though, Jonathan Kent was having an out-of-body experience right about then as well, and convinced his adopted son not to go into the light, and so the soul went back in, and --

-- well, that would've been useless *too*, in the long run; if his body had been left there much longer, it would've gradually gotten worse and that would've been it. But that's when the robot from Krypton hauled Superman's body down to the Antarctic, right under the hole in the ozone layer where intense yellow sunlight comes streaming in *unfiltered*, and, man, Supes started recuperating. It took time, sure, and when he finally regained consciousness his powers still had a lot of recharging to do. But he was on his way back.

Now, if things had gone a little differently, forget about it. If he'd exhausted his solar reserves *without* defeating Doomsday, and then had his head ripped off his powerless body -- dead. If his soul had just gone on to the afterlife, or if his body had remained cut off from the rays of a yellow sun just a little longer -- dead. But he got lucky.

Carl - "No, the real point is: I don't give a damn."

Carl - "This line, here? Line of Death. You cross it, and your freedoms no longer exist. Um-kay? Have a good day."

Old Post Sep 23rd, 2005 03:01 PM
TheKahn is currently offline Click here to Send TheKahn a Private Message Find more posts by TheKahn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
alexanderluthor
THE MAN

WOW!!!! where'd you take this from??? i read all the series from the DEAD OF SUPERMAN and i could never get it. how he came back to life, i thought someone took his body away to run some tests and then came up with a solution.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2005 12:28 AM
alexanderluthor is currently offline Click here to Send alexanderluthor a Private Message Find more posts by alexanderluthor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by alexanderluthor
WOW!!!! where'd you take this from??? i read all the series from the DEAD OF SUPERMAN and i could never get it. how he came back to life, i thought someone took his body away to run some tests and then came up with a solution.

Project Cadmus stole his body...but he actually was rescued by the Kryptonian Robots and I thin the Birth Matrix...and he himself said it was a once in a lifetime occurence that won't ever be repeated....

Old Post Sep 25th, 2005 03:19 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kevdude
The Hooded Man

cadmus stole his body to make a clone of him (superboy) and to use his dna for tests, somehow i dont remember (i got the book dont have time to find it and read it tho) Lois and supergirl and steel i believe got his body back and they put it back in the coffin in the park. the Eradicator went to his body and tried to take it for himself and use it to be the new Superman and at that same time Supermans soul went back into his body (Eradicator then had to make himself a body and take Superman back to Antarctic and put him in that suit so it would help him heal.

The Word

Old Post Sep 25th, 2005 06:53 AM
kevdude is currently offline Click here to Send kevdude a Private Message Find more posts by kevdude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jargon343

I thought the Cyborg had taken his body to make his Cyborg Superman body.

Old Post Sep 25th, 2005 04:12 PM
Jargon343 is currently offline Click here to Send Jargon343 a Private Message Find more posts by Jargon343 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheKahn
The Dude abides

here is where i found the above answer:

http://dcboards.warnerbros.com/web/...=0&tstart=0

Carl - "No, the real point is: I don't give a damn."

Carl - "This line, here? Line of Death. You cross it, and your freedoms no longer exist. Um-kay? Have a good day."

Old Post Sep 26th, 2005 01:15 PM
TheKahn is currently offline Click here to Send TheKahn a Private Message Find more posts by TheKahn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Avlon
Godot Brew#107

JUST ADDED SOME SLIGHT CORRECTIONS TO THE PARAGRAPH POSTED EARLIER....

Superman had pretty much depleted his extensive solar reserves in the fight against Doomsday (which also involved Doomsday pounding on him pretty damn badly). At the end of it, Supes appeared completely dead. Psychic mental scans showed no sign of brain activity at all. If he'd been left out on a rooftop with sunshine beating down on him, maybe he would've recuperated seeing he was kryptonian -- but stupid humans that we are, we sealed him into a coffin and sealed the coffin up in a crypt and otherwise cut him off from the stuff that powers his abilities.

So, instead, he eventually died; his soul left the weakening comatose body and everything. As it happens, though, Jonathan Kent was having an out-of-body experience right about then as well, and convinced his adopted son not to go into the light, and so the soul went back in, and --

-- well, that would've been useless *too*, in the long run; if his body had been left there much longer, it would've gradually gotten worse and that would've been it. But that's when the Eradicator (a kryptonian device that tried to possess the body for himself but was stopped by Supes soul returning) hauled Superman's body down to the Antarctic, to the fortress of solitude and into the "generation matrix" and, man, Supes started recuperating. It took time, sure, and when he finally regained consciousness his powers still had a lot of recharging to do. But he was on his way back.

Now, if things had gone a little differently, forget about it. If he'd exhausted his solar reserves *without* defeating Doomsday, and then had his head ripped off his powerless body -- dead. If his soul had just gone on to the afterlife, or if his body had remained cut off from the rays of a yellow sun just a little longer -- dead. But he got lucky.

Humans are afraid of the dark.
And yet… At the same time, we’re fascinated and bewitched by it.
Maybe that’s why humans drink the darkness that is coffee.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2005 03:29 AM
Avlon is currently offline Click here to Send Avlon a Private Message Find more posts by Avlon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Avlon
Godot Brew#107

Originally posted by Jargon343
I thought the Cyborg had taken his body to make his Cyborg Superman body.

Cyborg took over Kal's birthing ship. From there he taught himself about kryptonian tech and DNA.

Old Post Oct 14th, 2005 10:50 PM
Avlon is currently offline Click here to Send Avlon a Private Message Find more posts by Avlon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hegemon875
Archvillain

I thought the eradicator remade superman..

Old Post Oct 17th, 2005 12:20 AM
Hegemon875 is currently offline Click here to Send Hegemon875 a Private Message Find more posts by Hegemon875 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Avlon
Godot Brew#107

Originally posted by Hegemon875
I thought the eradicator remade superman..

He did. First he put him in the regeneration matrix, and at the end of the saga, he altered Kryptonite to give Supes the first of his upgrades.

Old Post Oct 17th, 2005 01:28 PM
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Wow i never realised they had f**ked superman up so much since I last read the comics about 15 years ago, sad.

What was that Superman with long hair about bye the way.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2005 06:56 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Avlon
Godot Brew#107

Originally posted by Bicnarok
Wow i never realised they had f**ked superman up so much since I last read the comics about 15 years ago, sad.

What was that Superman with long hair about bye the way.

Dc was scared to really change Supes...so the long hair was the big "change."

His hair magically grew really long between his ressurection and him making it to metropolis (a few hours.)

Old Post Nov 1st, 2005 09:02 PM