KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Why do you like Superman?

Why do you like Superman?
Started by: killermover

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
killermover

Laugh Why do you like Superman?

I'm new and Superman is one of my favorite superheroes.

1) He's the gold standard, the original.

2) He's got all the power of a god, yet he doesn't try to play one. He knows his place in the universe and doesn't abuse his power. A real guardian angel type.

3) The man's humble to a fault. He's always there for his friends, and doesn't belittle anyone. He actually brings out the best in them, makes them feel special- Quote-

The Atom: I remember the first time I met Superman. It was a Justice League case so there were other heroes involved, but in my mind none of them stood as tall or as proudly as Superman. I began to wonder what I was doing in the same room as him, how little he must think of me. But Superman never treated me as anything but an equal. At six inches tall he made me feel like a giant. Now I had to be that giant for him.

4) He's the pillar holding up the League, the lynchpin of the DCU-Quote-

Batman: Flying out of the sky, he once again show us why he sets the standard for so many. Many see him as a naive boyscout whipped by his own selflessness. They will not, cannot, see him for what he is, a hero.

5) Clark's a source of inspiration for the entire superhero community, even Batman( refer above quote), and Wonder Woman-Quote-

Wonder Woman restraining and talking to Superman after he is transformed into Doomsday form by Circe

Wonder Woman: I won't let you give into your pain or guilt. The whole world needs you right now because of who you are and what you do. Because of what you mean to everyone. Because of what you mean to me. Just by being as good as you are.

Superman (changing back and crying): Diana...What have I done to you?

It's another matter that the character has suffered in recent years due to mishandling and half-baked writing. He needs to be written by someone who truly understands and loves the character.

Old Post Dec 29th, 2008 11:39 PM
killermover is currently offline Click here to Send killermover a Private Message Find more posts by killermover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eel O'Brien

Re: Why do you like Superman?

quote: (post)
Originally posted by killermover

2) He's got all the power of a god, yet he doesn't try to play one. He knows his place in the universe and doesn't abuse his power. A real guardian angel type.

3) The man's humble to a fault. He's always there for his friends, and doesn't belittle anyone. He actually brings out the best in them, makes them feel special- Quote-

The Atom: I remember the first time I met Superman. It was a Justice League case so there were other heroes involved, but in my mind none of them stood as tall or as proudly as Superman. I began to wonder what I was doing in the same room as him, how little he must think of me. But Superman never treated me as anything but an equal. At six inches tall he made me feel like a giant. Now I had to be that giant for him.

Batman: Flying out of the sky, he once again show us why he sets the standard for so many. Many see him as a naive boyscout whipped by his own selflessness. They will not, cannot, see him for what he is, a hero.

5) Clark's a source of inspiration for the entire superhero community, even Batman( refer above quote), and Wonder Woman-Quote-

Wonder Woman restraining and talking to Superman after he is transformed into Doomsday form by Circe

Wonder Woman: I won't let you give into your pain or guilt. The whole world needs you right now because of who you are and what you do. Because of what you mean to everyone. Because of what you mean to me. Just by being as good as you are.

It's another matter that the character has suffered in recent years due to mishandling and half-baked writing. He needs to be written by someone who truly understands and loves the character.

thumb up

Old Post Dec 30th, 2008 05:50 PM
Eel O'Brien is currently offline Click here to Send Eel O'Brien a Private Message Find more posts by Eel O'Brien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

He's our beloved Boyscoutt...a true gentleman and a very well liked character. No one comes nearer than the man himself....

Old Post Dec 31st, 2008 06:17 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bychance

Great post smile

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2009 03:57 AM
bychance is currently offline Click here to Send bychance a Private Message Find more posts by bychance Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

I just like how he is often portrayed as just a normal guy with godlike powers and has to deal with moral problems (like in the New Krypton arc). I also like the mythology behind the character.

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2009 09:32 AM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Superman is not only an inspiration in the comic book world, he's an inspiration to many even in the real world because he symbolizes the best in people. He is the purest, modern incarnation of the Hero archetype, of Humanity's highest ideals and noblest aspirations.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2009 02:26 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Re: Re: Why do you like Superman?

Originally posted by Mindship
Superman is not only an inspiration in the comic book world, he's an inspiration to many even in the real world because he symbolizes the best in people. He is the purest, modern incarnation of the Hero archetype, of Humanity's highest ideals and noblest aspirations.

thats true reading a superman comic, really makes you wonder about yourself

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2009 03:20 PM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xJLxKing

The beginning of the movie Supermanbig grinoomsday where Lex talks about Superman says it all.
nice post TC!

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2009 04:08 PM
xJLxKing is currently offline Click here to Send xJLxKing a Private Message Find more posts by xJLxKing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Your post was one of the best posts I have honestly ever read on this forum.

So I'm profiling it.

Old Post Jan 3rd, 2009 05:34 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
killermover

No job is to big or to small for Supes.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2009 09:32 AM
killermover is currently offline Click here to Send killermover a Private Message Find more posts by killermover Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Allankles
Kwisatz Haderach

Sums it up really.

That's the number one reason I like Supes, very down to earth, humble. He doesn't pose or make out like he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Also he strives to bring out the best in people even his villains, the only knock I have on Supes is that he doesn't take more of an active role in world political affairs like helping with government policy: law making, relief efforts for refugees etc. It was a criticism tangent Supes made that I agree with in part.

Iboga chose not to fight, to allow himself to evolve. He had the wisdom to abandon the actions of war when he knew they would no longer serve him.

Old Post Jan 11th, 2009 03:27 PM
Allankles is currently offline Click here to Send Allankles a Private Message Find more posts by Allankles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2009 07:11 AM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
killermover

Originally posted by Final Blaxican
I don't.
Then don't post here.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2009 09:19 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I don't.

i doubt superman likes you either...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jan 12th, 2009 04:57 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

I don't.
Better than that one guy who shoots semen from his wrists while spouting cheesy one-liners.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2009 02:41 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
catwhiskers42
Restricted

Account Restricted

very true!!!

Old Post Jan 15th, 2009 02:53 AM
catwhiskers42 is currently offline Click here to Send catwhiskers42 a Private Message Find more posts by catwhiskers42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tsscls

He embodies all of the qualities and traits that most of us wish we had, but are too flawed to exhibit.
All-Star Superman illustrated all of these traits perfectly. IMO.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2009 03:44 AM
tsscls is currently offline Click here to Send tsscls a Private Message Find more posts by tsscls Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
suttercain

One of the first memories I have involves me running around trying to be Superman. That's why I like him.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2009 05:26 AM
suttercain is currently offline Click here to Send suttercain a Private Message Find more posts by suttercain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

He was always there growing up, on the newstand, on TV in cartoons or in reruns of the old movie serials & series. And to be a young kid watching the first Christopher Reeve film onscreen in 1978; it cemented his messiah-like status in comics & much of pop culture. He's not my true favourite, but I respect his status.
Getting me young was the key; plus him being in media other than comics. It's also what got me into Captain Marvel, Spider Man & the Hulk in the 1970's.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jan 16th, 2009 05:50 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Final Blaxican
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by ThunderGodEneru
Better than that one guy who shoots semen from his wrists while spouting cheesy one-liners.

At least that guy doesn't molest children.

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jan 20th, 2009 03:28 AM
Final Blaxican is currently offline Click here to Send Final Blaxican a Private Message Find more posts by Final Blaxican Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote