KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » What do you think about Robinson's characterization of Superman?

What do you think about Robinson's characterization of Superman?
Started by: Eel O'Brien

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Eel O'Brien

What do you think about Robinson's characterization of Superman?

Because I'm a little dissappointed...

Old Post Jan 30th, 2009 06:15 PM
Eel O'Brien is currently offline Click here to Send Eel O'Brien a Private Message Find more posts by Eel O'Brien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Raoul
Superman 677
Writer: James Robinson
Art: Renato Guedes

Synopsis: The coming of Atlas.

Review:
Ok, James Robinson is the new writer on the regular 'Superman' title, taking over from the likes of Busiek and Nicieza. The first issue of his new run, we get to see Krypto, The Metropolis Science Police, and Atlas...

First of all, the Krypto/Hal/Clark scene... Nice inner monologue from Krypto, but the conversation between Clark and Hal was just... UnSupesish. Talking about Hal and Kyle's conquests? I'm sure Clark can talk to any hero as a friend, but like that? Just, no... Also, Hal Jordan is no idiot... Actually considering that Clark is naive, given what they've both been through? Poor, imo...

Then, we're on to the science police in metropolis fighting a giant monster, with a decent inner monologue from the new acting field leader, only... Superman makes them look like janitors... Well boo-hoo... God forbid he puts himself in danger so you don't have to... But i guess there are always people like that, and if the writer was intentionally trying to portray the guy as a dick, then ok...

Then Atlas shows up, and starts challenging Superman, who takes a break from playing catch in space with krypto to come down and meet Atlas, and... End Issue.

Robinson's writing, imo, is fine, but i really get the sense that he doesn't understand the Superman character that well... He seems to be approaching it from the POV of someone who just knows the basics about the Man of Steel, and not the actual character, the man himself...

The art? I'll be honest, i'm not a fan of Guedes. I can see why people like him, he's just not for me... Good detail and form in his pencilling, but he just doesn't do it for me...

Writing: 6/10
Art: 7/10
Score: 6.5/10

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jan 30th, 2009 06:51 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eel O'Brien

That pretty well sums it up. When I made this thread, I was actually thinking about that scene in space where Supes and Hal discuss conquests.

Man, that's creepy coming from Superman...

Old Post Jan 30th, 2009 06:56 PM
Eel O'Brien is currently offline Click here to Send Eel O'Brien a Private Message Find more posts by Eel O'Brien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Eel O'Brien
That pretty well sums it up. When I made this thread, I was actually thinking about that scene in space where Supes and Hal discuss conquests.

Man, that's creepy coming from Superman...

yeah, i know what you mean. i know busiek could be a bit silly sometimes, but i always got the sense from him that he at least had a handle on the superman character, and knew how to write him to a large extent.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jan 30th, 2009 07:06 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eel O'Brien

yeah, i know what you mean. i know busiek could be a bit silly sometimes, but i always got the sense from him that he at least had a handle on the superman character, and knew how to write him to a large extent.

Agreed.

I think Morrison actually has one of the better handles on Supes' characterization.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2009 07:37 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Eel O'Brien
Agreed.

I think Morrison actually has one of the better handles on Supes' characterization.

morrison is an amazing writer of superman, imo. i would love to see him write superman regularly though. like, normal, canon, every month in action or superman, just to see how he would do it.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jan 30th, 2009 07:58 PM
Eel O'Brien

morrison is an amazing writer of superman, imo. i would love to see him write superman regularly though. like, normal, canon, every month in action or superman, just to see how he would do it.

That would definitely be interesting. What surprises me about Morrison is that he actually wrote a good Billy Batson in Superman Beyond. He brought more depth to Captain Marvel in two issues, than I've seen in the past 10 years.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2009 09:42 PM
Tra-EL

I like the take Robinson has on Superman. I like how he is exploring out of the box of the "typical Superman Character" and putting his own twists on it.

At the End of the Krypto issue when he is addressing Metropolis and kind of has a Stern and to the point delivery that Krypto was the true hero that day, cheer him not me. I liked that side of Superman and I'm happy Robison's taking a different spin on him. Somewhat of a more open Superman, and not so naive.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2009 03:50 AM
Tra-EL is currently offline Click here to Send Tra-EL a Private Message Find more posts by Tra-EL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Allankles
Kwisatz Haderach

Originally posted by Tra-EL
I like the take Robinson has on Superman. I like how he is exploring out of the box of the "typical Superman Character" and putting his own twists on it.

At the End of the Krypto issue when he is addressing Metropolis and kind of has a Stern and to the point delivery that Krypto was the true hero that day, cheer him not me. I liked that side of Superman and I'm happy Robison's taking a different spin on him. Somewhat of a more open Superman, and not so naive.

Supes is not naive. His recent writers like Busiek and Morrison don't write a naive Superman, far from it.

Iboga chose not to fight, to allow himself to evolve. He had the wisdom to abandon the actions of war when he knew they would no longer serve him.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2009 08:26 AM
Allankles is currently offline Click here to Send Allankles a Private Message Find more posts by Allankles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tjcoady

I like Robinson's take on Superman so far. I loved the Krypto issue.

I liked some tidbits that make Superman seem like a more "well-rounded" character. His conversation with Hal in space, his conversation with Lois about Zatanna, even when he gets annoyed with Zatara for being a dick.

A lot of writers have a tendency to write Superman as perfect- always the ideal role-model. And while Superman should be that guy to an extent, it's nice to see that Superman would be a regular guy, especially when he's in his Clark Kent persona. It makes Superman seem like someone you'd want to hang out with- you know, like when he goes and has a beer or two with his dad.

Guys like Green Arrow or Kyle or Jack Knight get written so they seem like someone you'd like to know, and be friends with, but for the most part, in JLA, and under a lot of writers, Superman seems like a guy you could respect, but you'd also just hate working with- especially if you're someone up on his level, like Hal. He's the co-worker whose always getting picked for employee of the month and then is so modest about it you just want to punch him in the face.

It makes it easier to relate to Superman. And I think it makes him all the more impressive when he does slip into that "perfection" role that he has to play sometimes as the World's Greatest Superhero.

But maybe I'm just giving Robinson the benefit of the doubt because I'm such a huge Jack Knight Starman fanboy.

Old Post Jan 31st, 2009 09:40 PM
tjcoady is currently offline Click here to Send tjcoady a Private Message Find more posts by tjcoady Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by tjcoady
But maybe I'm just giving Robinson the benefit of the doubt because I'm such a huge Jack Knight Starman fanboy.

yes, you are

honestly though, i don't mind people trying to make clark more likeable and easier for others to get along with, i just REALLY think robinson went about it the wrong way...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jan 31st, 2009 10:03 PM