KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Glasses as Superman's secret identity..

Glasses as Superman's secret identity..
Started by: SuperkatmanX

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
SuperkatmanX

Question Glasses as Superman's secret identity..

As much as I love Superman, I have always had it on my mind how people don't recognize him. I know its only make believe, but seriously could they have came up with something better. Any other point of views out there?

Old Post Feb 18th, 2009 06:31 AM
SuperkatmanX is currently offline Click here to Send SuperkatmanX a Private Message Find more posts by SuperkatmanX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scythe
The Goat

It's not his glasses that are his secret identity, it's Clark Kent completely. He must come off as frail and shy. Everything Superman isn't. In the old days it was enough to just use imagination, it just....works.

Have you read this graphic novel called "It's a bird...."? It's a good read when it comes to the science of Superman and how modern time can take him seriously.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2009 06:41 AM
Scythe is currently offline Click here to Send Scythe a Private Message Find more posts by Scythe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
skygunner41
I'll be back!

Super hypnotism.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2009 10:05 AM
skygunner41 is currently offline Click here to Send skygunner41 a Private Message Find more posts by skygunner41 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

What's funny is of all characters, Ambush Bug immediately saw right through Superman's 'disguise.' He even commented on how ridiculous it was that people actually fell for it:

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

laughing out loud

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Feb 18th, 2009 04:28 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eel O'Brien

I think the best explanation came from Jeph Loeb during the arc where he introduced Supergirl.

Upon seeing Superman's statue, she commented that since people see him a so much "larger than life", no one would even think to look for him mingled in with regular people.

Old Post Feb 18th, 2009 06:43 PM
Eel O'Brien is currently offline Click here to Send Eel O'Brien a Private Message Find more posts by Eel O'Brien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

also people have seen them in the same palce at the same time before

lois at one point was told that they were brothers when she saw him at the kents farm

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Feb 18th, 2009 08:22 PM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

yup, not to mention j'onn has done it, and all those superman robots too...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Feb 18th, 2009 08:44 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galvaclaw

People are stupid.

Once for on a night out my friends and I dressed as geeks. I put glasses on and slicked back my hair. I bumped into a close friend and she looked at me blankly, not realising it was me.

People aren't that observant.

Old Post Feb 19th, 2009 01:34 AM
Galvaclaw is currently offline Click here to Send Galvaclaw a Private Message Find more posts by Galvaclaw Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Allankles
Kwisatz Haderach

Re: Glasses as Superman's secret identity..

quote: (post)
Originally posted by SuperkatmanX
As much as I love Superman, I have always had it on my mind how people don't recognize him. I know its only make believe, but seriously could they have came up with something better. Any other point of views out there?

The best take on this IMO was Morrison with All Star Superman. He actuially physically reconfigures his body, his spine his flesh to look fatter, less in shape and ordinary when he's Clark.

So when you see him outside the suit he looks different enough that the resemblance is negligible.

Iboga chose not to fight, to allow himself to evolve. He had the wisdom to abandon the actions of war when he knew they would no longer serve him.

Old Post Feb 19th, 2009 01:36 AM
Allankles is currently offline Click here to Send Allankles a Private Message Find more posts by Allankles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SuperkatmanX

Originally posted by Eel O'Brien
I think the best explanation came from Jeph Loeb during the arc where he introduced Supergirl.

Upon seeing Superman's statue, she commented that since people see him a so much "larger than life", no one would even think to look for him mingled in with regular people.

I see what your saying but come on,, Lois Lane in love with superman and chilling with Clark Kent everyday of her life.. should she just dye her hair blonde and act ditsy.

Old Post Feb 19th, 2009 04:07 AM
SuperkatmanX is currently offline Click here to Send SuperkatmanX a Private Message Find more posts by SuperkatmanX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

I see what your saying but come on,, Lois Lane in love with superman and chilling with Clark Kent everyday of her life.. should she just dye her hair blonde and act ditsy.

you do realize that she knows who he is right?

but before then she thought they were brothers, thats what the kents said when she saw him at the farm. Also the fact that she has been with both of them at the same time has thrown her off. She has suspected it numerous times though

Also they actually look pretty different, you wouldn't make the connection unless you knew both of them

Old Post Feb 19th, 2009 04:31 AM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

Re: Glasses as Superman's secret identity..

At one point i was ok with Supermans secret identity. Like Scythe said, Clark Kent has nothing common with Superman.

However, Superman is unlike most superheros because he is very candid with the media. He has no problems with being seen by mass gatherings of people or even having a conversation with the common guy on the street. Because of this, Supermans face would be burned into everyones mind.I mean, he is EArths savior. Along with his great physical stature no one would be able to mistake Clark Kent for anyone other than SUperman. So, yes, Supermans Secret identity is the worst disguise in comic history.

Old Post Feb 25th, 2009 01:47 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
At one point i was ok with Supermans secret identity. Like Scythe said, Clark Kent has nothing common with Superman.

However, Superman is unlike most superheros because he is very candid with the media. He has no problems with being seen by mass gatherings of people or even having a conversation with the common guy on the street. Because of this, Supermans face would be burned into everyones mind.I mean, he is EArths savior. Along with his great physical stature no one would be able to mistake Clark Kent for anyone other than SUperman. So, yes, Supermans Secret identity is the worst disguise in comic history.

all the things you mentioned about how great superman is are exactly why nobody even considers that he might need a secret identity. he has the fortress of solitude. he has the justice league. at face value, his life doesn't seem to be lacking anything that a secret identity would provide...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Feb 25th, 2009 02:08 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Re: Re: Glasses as Superman's secret identity..

Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx

people have seen both of at the same time on numerous occasions. They just think they look alike

Old Post Feb 25th, 2009 02:20 AM
SuperkatmanX

I understand that the people, as in society maybe just brush past him.. But what about the people that work with him everyday his friends.. They have huge front page pictures of him, probably on every angle he could possibly be.. They could at least play with it a little.. just say Clark walking around one day and a civilian comments.. Jeez he looks a lot like superman...

Old Post Feb 25th, 2009 04:46 AM
SuperkatmanX

Re: Re: Re: Glasses as Superman's secret identity..

Originally posted by jalek moye
people have seen both of at the same time on numerous occasions. They just think they look alike

I dont think ive seen this before.. how does it happen?

Old Post Feb 25th, 2009 04:47 AM
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Re: Re: Re: Re: Glasses as Superman's secret identity..

I dont think ive seen this before.. how does it happen?

he has superman robots make appearances and somtimes manhunter has filled in for him. there are a few other ways also

Old Post Feb 25th, 2009 05:00 AM
jinXed by JaNx

Originally posted by Raoul
all the things you mentioned about how great superman is are exactly why nobody even considers that he might need a secret identity. he has the fortress of solitude. he has the justice league. at face value, his life doesn't seem to be lacking anything that a secret identity would provide...

That's a good point. I never looked at it like that.

Back in the early days of Superman, though, when Superman was first conceived and through his first couple decades. Clark Kent was a sorry excuse for a secret identity. This may have evolved over the years, being better elaborated on by writers but it wasn't always like that. The important thing, though, Clark Kent is of no importance to the Superman character or story. The only reason it was so important for Superman to even keep his identity safe was to protect the people he cared about but that's irrelevant because he is Superman laughing out loud I think this is why no one ever really cared or even questioned it that much. Sub consciously they realized, Clark Kent is not Superman. Clark Kent isn't even an alter ego of Superman, Clark Kent is fake.

Old Post Feb 26th, 2009 11:02 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
skygunner41
I'll be back!

Old Post Feb 26th, 2009 04:20 PM
skygunner41 is currently offline Click here to Send skygunner41 a Private Message Find more posts by skygunner41 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Naija boy

I see what people are saying in this thread but still supermans face is edged in the minds of evryone on earth. Look at those reporters at the daily planet, they take pictures of him all the time and yet they cant recognize him when he walks by with his hair done differently and some glasses on? Arent reporters supposed to be observant? erm Its quite far fetched imo.

All thanks goes to starlock.
"Beware trolls, know me and know fear"

Old Post Feb 27th, 2009 04:20 PM
Naija boy is currently offline Click here to Send Naija boy a Private Message Find more posts by Naija boy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote