KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Thor vs Superman

Thor vs Superman
Started by: darthmonstrous

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
darthmonstrous

Thor vs Superman

Hotly debated topic in the comics community. Superman is the standard by which all other Superheros are judged. He has superhuman strength to match Captain Marvel. Flys nearly the speed of light. X-ray, heat, telescopic, microscopic vision. Superhearing. Hurricane level breath. Nearly invulnerable. Superspeed.
However, I think Thor blows him out of the water. Why? Here are my reasons:
1) Superstrength. I've heard a lot of people say Superman has the clear advantage here. I disagree. Thor has lifted a portion of the Midgard Serpent. He hurled the Odin-sword, a weapon of incalculable weight through a celestial. If anyone doesn't know what a celestial is, google it. They are unimaginably powerful beings, whose armor is of unknown compostion, presumably like Marvel's adamantium, which is unbreakable. Also, Thor recently inherited powers from both of his parents, Odin and Gaea, an elder goddess of the earth. The Odin-force allows Thor to tap into near limitless resources both cosmic and magical in nature that augment all his other abilities. This would include his already astronomical strength. Like the Hulk, there is technically no limit to Thor's strength. Belt of strength? Don't need it. Thor is clearly stronger than Superman now.
2) Extreme resistance to physical harm. You can make the God of Thunder bleed. But you had better be something extremely superhuman to do so. He is also highly resistant to extreme temperatures both hot and cold. However, I do think Supes is closer to invulnerable than Thor.
3) Superhuman reflexes. No brainer here. Power=force x velocity. Because Thor is so astronomically strong, there is going to be some carryover where speed is concerned. However, despite Thor's reflexes, the clear advantage, I believe, goes to Superman for speed.
4) Energy projection. Supes has heat ray vision which is super powerful. However, Mjolnir, Thor's magical, indestructible hammer, has the enormously powerful anti-force and the way more powerful godblast. Using the god-blast, Thor did the impossible by stopping an unstoppable Juggernaut in his tracks and also repelled Galactus with it. Galactus! Also, Thor's hammer can absorb any energy projection thrown its way. Clear advantage here goes to Thor.
5) Battle experience. This one is a no-brainer. If two regular guys get in a fight, one a normal Joe, the other superbly trained in hand-to-hand combat and the expertly trained in the use of ancient weapons were to fight, I'd give the advantage to the skilled guy. Now, add to that that one guy has been fighting for about 60 years while the other has been fighting for thousands of years...the obvious advantage goes to the more skilled, experienced combatant. Advantage, Thor.

Of course, when Thor fights other supers, the writers usually "mystically" depower him. For example, when Thor and the Hulk fight, it's usually a pretty even match. When Thor fights with the Avengers against the Hulk, all of a sudden, it takes their combined might to defeat Hulk(???). Also, popularity plays a role. When the Supes and Thor met a few years back in a crossover, Superman was the clear winner. However, Superman would probably beat God in a crossover. He is DC comics bread and butter. You will never, ever see Superman lose in a crossover. To anyone. Ever.
Also, while Thor gets dumbed down in his fights sometimes where he could have used some of his other abilties, like control of the weather including magical lightning strikes, hurricanes, tornados, waterspouts and his "battle experience" is never played up in any of his confrontations (though Marvel cites it as one of his many abilities), Superman, to my knowlege, has won few, if any, of his fights using his superspeed. My point? A comparison of these powerhouses would have to made by carefully examining each one's powerset. That's it. Block out poor writing, by both DC and Marvel (although, Marvel generally is more known for poor writing where Thor is concerned than DC is with Superman)/poor editorial oversight. Compare each character's set of powers without bias. My examination has led me to Thor.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2009 02:36 AM
darthmonstrous is currently offline Click here to Send darthmonstrous a Private Message Find more posts by darthmonstrous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

honestly, you're better off posting this in the Comic Book Vs in the Thor Vs Superman thread. Closing this one.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Apr 5th, 2009 04:01 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote