KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » The Official Superman Rogue's Gallery Thread

The Official Superman Rogue's Gallery Thread
Started by: BruceSkywalker

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

The Official Superman Rogue's Gallery Thread

Discuss the man of steels villains

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Apr 5th, 2009 03:51 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

In order:

1: Lex Luthor
2: Doomsday
3: Darkseid
4: Brainiac
5: Parasite
6: Toyman
7: Metallo
8: General Zod
9: Imperiex
10: Mongul

I don't really consider Bizarro a villain, tbh...

1: Lex Luthor

Lex, because, well, for me, he represents the ignorance and scepticism that some people on DC Earth (and ours) feel. He doesn't see Superman as a hero. He sees him as a self-righteous glory hog who is so overpowered that he's putting down the common man. How can any man compare with a Superman? You simply can't. He reflects the inadequacy and insecurity that anybody would feel when faced with such a, well, better specimen. Superman is seen as being TOO perfect. Men want to be him, women want to be with him. He's the whole package wrapped up in a shiny red cape, and Lex HATES him for it. I'm sure that's why so many comic fans hate him too. I don't mind, though. Every great hero needs great villains. The most interesting thing, though, is that Lex himself is the human ideal, in many ways. He's rich, powerful, is loved by many (or was when he wasn't exposed). He has access to the latest technologies (coming up with half of them himself), and is always at the forefront of medical breakthroughs. He has EVERYTHING that he believes humanity can't have because of Superman. It's a wonderful dichotomy. You have a man who believes that Superman is slowing the progress of humankind, yet he does more to monopolise things than Superman ever did.

2. Doomsday

I know some people hate him. I know people believe him to be a weak character. I just can't get enough of the guy, though. Whereas Superman, a peace loving man, can at least calm some villains down, or negotiate or reason with them, that just doesn't work with Doomsday. His very existence forces Superman to be violent to protect those he loves. Yes, he does it with other villains, plenty, but you can always knock them out or show them the futility of their actions. Not with Doomsday, though. He is simply this, this monster that's bred for one thing and one thing only: Destruction on a massive scale. Its his sole purpose. To destroy. It's a concept that is brilliant in its simplicity and simple in it's brilliance. He kills shit. Also, he's supposedly indestructible. If you don't kill him, he'll kill you. And everyone else. Superman knows if he fails that Doomsday will simply continue and kill every living being on the planet for no reason other than it knows no better. Superman draws the line that this monster can't cross. If it does, then Superman will have failed the entire planet. There is no other villain to my mind that works like that so brilliantly and so effectively.

Also, any fight between the two is f*cking awesome.

3: Darkseid

I like Darkseid because, well, to me, he's the truest villain of Superman. He is to Superman what the Joker is to Batman. Superman leads by example and inspires hope. Darkseid leads by example and instills fear. Where Superman is a beacon of light, Darkseid is a shadow accross the universe. Added to this, Darkseid has power that dwarfs even that of Superman. He's always in danger of coming to Earth and just tearing it to shreds.

4: Brainiac

I just like Brainiac because he's a cool villain. Just a really cool concept. That's all, really, lol...

5: Parasite

Because, put simply, he's the one villain that actually turns Superman's strengths in to weaknesses. The more power Superman has, the more power Parasite can take. Plus, he makes purple work.

Might finish the other five at some point...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Apr 14th, 2009 10:48 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Hank Henshaw is awesome

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Apr 15th, 2009 01:28 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

i purposely didn't include him in my list, as he's more a GL bad guy now, i think... if i had, he'd have been right up there...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 15th, 2009 01:29 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

Henshaw is a villain for both Superman and the Green Lanterns but from a hystorical viewpoint, he is first and foremost a Superman villain ..

Anyway, Luthor is his main villain, for obvious reasons, followed by Henshaw & Doomsday. General Zod in up there, along with Brainiac , Gog and Darkseid (if you want to include him in the "Superman villains" list). Bizzaro and Mxy are the 'harmeless fun' type of villains.

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Old Post Apr 15th, 2009 02:02 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Philosophía
Henshaw is a villain for both Superman and the Green Lanterns but from a hystorical viewpoint, he is first and foremost a Superman villain ..

Anyway, Luthor is his main villain, for obvious reasons, followed by Henshaw & Doomsday. General Zod in up there, along with Brainiac , Gog and Darkseid (if you want to include him in the "Superman villains" list). Bizzaro and Mxy are the 'harmeless fun' type of villains.

I know, it's in the name and all, but i just... he never really had the impact in Superman's life that i feel he should have... He's that really cool B-List villain that should be A-List but never really hit the mark (with superman as a standalone villain bar DOS). imo of course... i mean, DOS was almost 16 years ago...

i think he has a bigger chance with GL than he did with Kal. I mean, you even have the Coast City thing to bring them together...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 15th, 2009 10:59 PM
emporerpants

hmmm. i'd have to say darkseid and lex are my two favorites. this might have something to do with the fact that i totally loved the interactions between supes and darkseid in supes the animated series and justice league.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2009 07:05 PM
emporerpants is currently offline Click here to Send emporerpants a Private Message Find more posts by emporerpants Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zombie Snail

While I like Darkseid a lot I never thought that he should be viewed as a superman villain. He should be kept for Team Busting "OHSHIT ITS DARKSEID" moments. Well in my opinion at least...

My Break down of Superman rogues is this.

Doomsday/Mongul = Biggest Physical challenges
Brainiac=Most Dangerous (he destroys planets like it ain't no thang)
Lex= Rival
Bizarro/Cyborg/parasite/Zod= Awesome villains, but a bit of a step down from the others.
Toyman=best left forgotten.

Old Post Apr 18th, 2009 04:53 PM
Zombie Snail is currently offline Click here to Send Zombie Snail a Private Message Find more posts by Zombie Snail Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía

Mongul being a bigger physicall threat than Zod, Henshaw, hell even Bizzaro ? No.

I wouldn't say Toyman is 'best left forgotten'. I like him, just not as a Superman villain. I like him more than Parasite, for example.

Old Post Apr 18th, 2009 07:35 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zombie Snail

Mongul being a bigger physicall threat than Zod, Henshaw, hell even Bizzaro ? No.

I wouldn't say Toyman is 'best left forgotten'. I like him, just not as a Superman villain. I like him more than Parasite, for example.

Well I'm more used to the original Mongul. I never read OWAW and I hated public enemies so I kinda discount Mongul's son.

Old Post Apr 18th, 2009 08:21 PM
Zombie Snail is currently offline Click here to Send Zombie Snail a Private Message Find more posts by Zombie Snail Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía

The Pre-Crisis one ?

Ah, okay.

Old Post Apr 18th, 2009 09:33 PM
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Someone should make a Lex Luthor respect thread, he needs one

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Apr 20th, 2009 06:15 AM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cartesian Doubt
Cognito il Sum

Imperiex has got to be one of the lamest rogues of all time. Based on the quality of the story i would have Ruin and Manchester Black way above him. Black has got to be one of the most underrated rouges out there.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2009 09:43 AM
Cartesian Doubt is currently offline Click here to Send Cartesian Doubt a Private Message Find more posts by Cartesian Doubt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía

Originally posted by Cartesian Doubt
Imperiex has got to be one of the lamest rogues of all time. Based on the quality of the story i would have Ruin and Manchester Black way above him. Black has got to be one of the most underrated rouges out there.

I wouldn't consider Imperiex a Superman villain, at all. Ruin pretty much sucks character-wise, eventough he was impressive as a threat. Manchester Black is awesome, but the moment that ruined it is when he cried at the end of the confrontation with Superman, when he should have taken the defeat like a man.

Last edited by Philosophía on Apr 22nd, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2009 11:52 AM
Enyalus
MALE DOMINANCE!!!

Manchester Black is awesome, but the moment that ruined it is when he cried at the end of the confrontation with Superman, when he should have taken the defeat like a man.

Was that in Ending Battle? Or are you referencing another storyline?

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2009 02:46 PM
Enyalus is currently offline Click here to Send Enyalus a Private Message Find more posts by Enyalus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía

Last edited by Philosophía on Apr 22nd, 2009 at 02:56 PM

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2009 02:51 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2009 03:02 PM
Zombie Snail

Originally posted by Cartesian Doubt
the moment that ruined it is when he cried at the end of the confrontation with Superman, when he should have taken the defeat like a man.

First of all that issue was awesome.

Second. Black thought his powers were gone forever. I'd cry too if I just lost the ability to fly and move things with my mind. I mean think of all the practice it took to be able to give people seizures telekinetically.

Last edited by Zombie Snail on Apr 22nd, 2009 at 07:20 PM

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2009 07:18 PM
Aztec123
Host of A Ghost.

I think Lex Luthor is the perfect villain. He's the only villain i truly despise, and by that i mean he's believable. I can't stand the guy, I hate the fact that he's arrogant, cocky, a push over and always try's to compare himself to superman. He never gives up, and is always trying to defeat superman. Unlike other villains he's a douche to reckoned with. Recently, I finished reading a Supergirl story arc and was surprise he try to kill the girl of steel A defenseless young women, who has trouble finding her place on earth. He's the best villian imo

Old Post May 7th, 2009 03:36 AM
Aztec123 is currently offline Click here to Send Aztec123 a Private Message Find more posts by Aztec123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote