KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » The Official Superman's Abilities - Discussion Thread

The Official Superman's Abilities - Discussion Thread
Started by: Philosophía

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

The Official Superman's Abilities - Discussion Thread

This thread will be used for discussions regarding Superman's various abilities. What he can and cannot do, what are his limits etc.

Everybody is welcomed to comment as long as it does not involve trolling or insults.

smile

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Old Post Apr 19th, 2009 12:33 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía

Superman - Faster than Lightspeed ?

Yes, he is. Flight speed and movement/combat speed/reaction time. In order to prove it, I could use statements (like reacting in-between nanoseconds, even being flat-out stated that he can achieve lightspeed) but I preffer to use feats. Not only that, but I'm going to use feats of current (post-Infinite Crisis) Superman.

Flight speed

Flying aproximatley 25 light-years in minutes at most. (Vega is 25 light-years from Earth)

(please log in to view the image)(please log in to view the image)(please log in to view the image)(please log in to view the image)(please log in to view the image)(please log in to view the image)

Last edited by -Pr- on Apr 19th, 2009 at 03:45 PM

Old Post Apr 19th, 2009 01:28 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía

Goes close to the edge of the Andromeda Galaxy and back. It is aproximatley 2.5 million light-years away from us.

(please log in to view the image)

Travels lightyears in a short period of time.

(please log in to view the image)(please log in to view the image)(please log in to view the image)(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Apr 19th, 2009 01:29 PM
Philosophía

Combat speed/Perception/Reaction time

Superman is fast enough see, recognize and react at Barry passing by him at superluminal speeds.

(please log in to view the image)(please log in to view the image)(please log in to view the image)

Easily tracking lightspeed signals.

Superman rebuilds Metropolis in moments.

Deflects Kryptonite radiation.

(please log in to view the image)(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Apr 19th, 2009 01:57 PM
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

I'd like to bring up T-Vo. It's a rarely used power, but I was wondering if anyone has a complete list of the times it has been used and exactly what it did

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Apr 20th, 2009 06:17 AM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galvaclaw

It's sort of non canon now. At least Johns has said he never intends to use it, which means it won't be used again for a good many years.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2009 08:47 PM
Galvaclaw is currently offline Click here to Send Galvaclaw a Private Message Find more posts by Galvaclaw Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
icu311

Been wondering this for a long time, and did a few google searches too. What's T-Vo?

Old Post Apr 20th, 2009 09:11 PM
icu311 is currently offline Click here to Send icu311 a Private Message Find more posts by icu311 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Torquasm-Vo, a Kryptonian mental martial art, basically he needs to bring his brain up to a "theta state" in which case he can take a battle from the physical to the mental plane, and combat against reality warpers.

I've never read a story featuring it and only seen a few scans.

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Apr 21st, 2009 05:10 AM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

So are we all agreed that Superman > light?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Apr 21st, 2009 02:26 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Enyalus
MALE DOMINANCE!!!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Raoul

Travel-wise, yes. Combat wise, no, I don't think its close. Over the speed of sound? Sure.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2009 06:55 PM
Enyalus is currently offline Click here to Send Enyalus a Private Message Find more posts by Enyalus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía

It's undebateable, tbh.

Originally posted by Enyalus
Combat wise, no, I don't think its close. Over the speed of sound? Sure.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2009 07:19 PM
Enyalus
MALE DOMINANCE!!!

Originally posted by Philosophía

Meh, if you wanna use real world science...light moves about one foot per nanosecond. 'Bout 3.3 nanoseconds to travel one yard. So, since he's got nanosecond reaction speeds, I guess a case could be made for it.

no expression

Just thought of that.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2009 07:22 PM
Enyalus is currently offline Click here to Send Enyalus a Private Message Find more posts by Enyalus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

i think he meant your "speed of sound" comment. superman's reactions would be far above that, imo, not just a bit...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 21st, 2009 07:27 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía

Like I said, I'd rather not use statements.

But since he has the feats I posted, I don't need to anyway.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2009 07:32 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

What I'd like to know is, How does Superman move (in flight/combat) FTL?

Pre-crisis Supes did it because writers just ignored the whole lightspeed-limit thing. But since the speedforce was invented to explain how the Flash could bypass relativistic effects as well as the lightspeed limit -- suggesting more recent writers are paying some heed to real-world physics -- what's the explanation given for Superman's FTL (or for that matter, his bypassing relativistic effects)?

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2009 08:21 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Mindship

Pre-crisis Supes did it because writers just ignored the whole lightspeed-limit thing. But since the speedforce was invented to explain how the Flash could bypass relativistic effects as well as the lightspeed limit -- suggesting more recent writers are paying some heed to real-world physics -- what's the explanation given for Superman's FTL (or for that matter, his bypassing relativistic effects)?

he doesn't always bypass them, which is why within the atmosphere he has to be careful.

it depends on the writer, tbh...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Apr 21st, 2009 08:28 PM
Cartesian Doubt
Cognito il Sum

Originally posted by Mindship

Similar to anti gravity, in a round about way.

Don't even start me on how a human sized solar battery could create the energies needed to create this mini cosmic inflation. But for all the super geeks out there who only care about Power levels, i suppose its a literary device to get round the problem. Alcubierre drive = Deus ex Machina.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2009 10:23 PM
Cartesian Doubt is currently offline Click here to Send Cartesian Doubt a Private Message Find more posts by Cartesian Doubt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cartesian Doubt
Cognito il Sum

he doesn't always bypass them, which is why within the atmosphere he has to be careful.

it depends on the writer, tbh...

IMO, writers scientific credulity is a good gauge for how bad they are.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2009 10:27 PM
Cartesian Doubt is currently offline Click here to Send Cartesian Doubt a Private Message Find more posts by Cartesian Doubt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Cartesian Doubt
Similar to anti gravity, in a round about way.

Don't even start me on how a human sized solar battery could create the energies needed to create this mini cosmic inflation. But for all the super geeks out there who only care about Power levels, i suppose its a literary device to get round the problem. Alcubierre drive = Deus ex Machina.
If Superman uses any form of space distortion, that's fine with me. I just think it ought to be mentioned, at least once in a while.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2009 01:41 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

i think he meant your "speed of sound" comment. superman's reactions would be far above that, imo, not just a bit...
Well over the speed of sound could be anything from Mach 1.1-9.9% lightspeed, which is .1% under relativistic speeds, which basically means "near lightspeed" in this context. He never specified exactly how much above lightspeed.

Personally, I think Superman's combat speed is at least in the relativistic area, 10% of lightspeed or more, possibly achieving lightspeed or FTL in this regard. Of course I am not going to prove any of this, being far too lazy.

One thing I would like to ask is exactly how strong is Superman? Obviously above the Quintillion tons range, but generally how strong?

Old Post Apr 22nd, 2009 03:01 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote