KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » SDCC 09 VIDEO: Dan DiDio Talks SUPERMAN

SDCC 09 VIDEO: Dan DiDio Talks SUPERMAN
Started by: The Nuul

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Squirrel Fart
Senior Member

Gender: Unspecified
Location: Canada

SDCC 09 VIDEO: Dan DiDio Talks SUPERMAN


__________________

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2009 09:20 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
...

Gender: Male
Location: Ireland.

Moderator

quote: (post)
Originally posted by The Nuul
http://www.newsarama.com/common/med...r.php?aid=29588

Ummmm...erm



__________________

.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2009 09:42 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Gender: Unspecified
Location: United States

I don't see what's wrong, I like the new direction the Superman comics are taking. I especially like how a lot of the visual effects on New Krypton reference the movies, like the courtroom


__________________


Sig by Starlock

Old Post Jul 25th, 2009 12:44 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
...

Gender: Male
Location: Ireland.

Moderator

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Endless Mike
I don't see what's wrong, I like the new direction the Superman comics are taking. I especially like how a lot of the visual effects on New Krypton reference the movies, like the courtroom


the problem is that he's having it run until next year. that means no standard superman comics until then.


__________________

.

Old Post Jul 25th, 2009 01:05 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galvaclaw
Senior Member

Gender: Male
Location: United Kingdom

I've read a lot of standard Superman stories, it's nice to have a change of pace.

Old Post Jul 27th, 2009 04:25 PM
Galvaclaw is currently offline Click here to Send Galvaclaw a Private Message Find more posts by Galvaclaw Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

Gender: Male
Location: Void

The good parts are that the characterization for Superman right now is top notch in World of New Krypton and the fact that new territories are explored with the introduction of the Kryptonians and it really feels like everything is building up twoards something big. Somewhere in-between is the fact that Superman appears in far too few monthly books compared to what he should be appearing (his main titles, Action Comics and Superman are without him, among others like JLA). The bad parts is that, like a participant at the panel complained, Superman is watered down -which could be understood because he is on a planet with characters of his powerlevel (which is another thing that doesn't make any sense, considering he's been exposed to the sun much longer than they were)-. Didn't the writers learn anything from stories like All-Star Superman, Final Crisis, Superman Beyond and such, who contain one of/the best Superman portrayals ever yet he is at his best power-wise ? The excuse of having Superman toned down because it's hard to find threats big enough for him is something I hear alot (and it annoys me because, if you are a writer, you must FIND those threats) but having everybody go "I'm almost as powerfull as Superman!" and even more, having characters who were supposed to be peers (like Barry) humiliate him is something stupid. Another complaint is that things are moving a bit too slow for my taste, a feeling that is further enhanced by what I already mentioned, which is the very few monthly appearances Superman has.


__________________


“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Last edited by Philosophía on Jul 27th, 2009 at 06:30 PM

Old Post Jul 27th, 2009 06:26 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Gender: Unspecified
Location: United States

I thought it was always acknowledged that Flash was faster than Supes.

Also the race was on the earth, Flashes can go as fast as they want on earth because of speedforce, but Superman can't without damaging it too much. His best speeds are when he is flying in space.


__________________


Sig by Starlock

Old Post Jul 28th, 2009 02:28 PM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
...

Gender: Male
Location: Ireland.

Moderator

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Philosophía
The good parts are that the characterization for Superman right now is top notch in World of New Krypton and the fact that new territories are explored with the introduction of the Kryptonians and it really feels like everything is building up twoards something big. Somewhere in-between is the fact that Superman appears in far too few monthly books compared to what he should be appearing (his main titles, Action Comics and Superman are without him, among others like JLA). The bad parts is that, like a participant at the panel complained, Superman is watered down -which could be understood because he is on a planet with characters of his powerlevel (which is another thing that doesn't make any sense, considering he's been exposed to the sun much longer than they were)-. Didn't the writers learn anything from stories like All-Star Superman, Final Crisis, Superman Beyond and such, who contain one of/the best Superman portrayals ever yet he is at his best power-wise ? The excuse of having Superman toned down because it's hard to find threats big enough for him is something I hear alot (and it annoys me because, if you are a writer, you must FIND those threats) but having everybody go "I'm almost as powerfull as Superman!" and even more, having characters who were supposed to be peers (like Barry) humiliate him is something stupid. Another complaint is that things are moving a bit too slow for my taste, a feeling that is further enhanced by what I already mentioned, which is the very few monthly appearances Superman has.


well that's the thing. as much as new krypton is good (though robinson's dialogue is piss poor at times and you can actually tell when it's rucka writing), we're still seeing something of a shortage of superman being superman.

i don't mind that they want to show us the adventures of superman related characters, but two whole books? you've got mon-el and guardian in superman, and we've got nightwing and flamebird in action. so we have "Commander El" rather than Superman. I do like this whole thing of seeing more of Krypton, but as you said, it does take away something when he's surrounded by Kryptonians and rarely shows his superiority. Granted, it is going somewhere, but i don't see why it has to take almost a year to do it...

Superman has 4 books. Action, Superman, S/B, and World of New Krypton. When he's only appearing in half of his monthly titles, i think something is very wrong, tbh.

I don't mind seeing more of the supporting cast, but i don't see why it has to be at the expense of Superman himself...


__________________

.

Last edited by -Pr- on Jul 30th, 2009 at 03:48 PM

Old Post Jul 30th, 2009 03:46 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

Gender: Male
Location: Void

quote: (post)
Originally posted by -Pr-
well that's the thing. as much as new krypton is good (though robinson's dialogue is piss poor at times and you can actually tell when it's rucka writing), we're still seeing something of a shortage of superman being superman.

i don't mind that they want to show us the adventures of superman related characters, but two whole books? you've got mon-el and guardian in superman, and we've got nightwing and flamebird in action. so we have "Commander El" rather than Superman. I do like this whole thing of seeing more of Krypton, but as you said, it does take away something when he's surrounded by Kryptonians and rarely shows his superiority. Granted, it is going somewhere, but i don't see why it has to take almost a year to do it...

Superman has 4 books. Action, Superman, S/B, and World of New Krypton. When he's only appearing in half of his monthly titles, i think something is very wrong, tbh.

I don't mind seeing more of the supporting cast, but i don't see why it has to be at the expense of Superman himself...


I find Robinson to be one of the weakest Superman writers ever, but Rucka certainly makes up for it in WONK. (the fact that we have Robinson writing Superman in Justice League and Blackest Night: Superman makes me want to slap Didio)

They probably did this because they WANT us to feel this way. They want us to anticipate Superman coming back full force and everything that has been build up until now to explode into an event. That is a good approach tehnically but, the bad part is, it sucks for those of us who are slowly advancing twoards the climax, since we have to stand through very few Superman appearances where he is at anything but his God-like status (though, like I said, I like his characterization) while his main titls feels like they are a fill-in. Funnily enough, in the latest S/B he wasn't even featured (Robin and Supergirl were the main stars).

Right now, the bad parts far outweight the good ones, imo.


__________________


“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Old Post Jul 30th, 2009 04:15 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
...

Gender: Male
Location: Ireland.

Moderator

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Philosophía
I find Robinson to be one of the weakest Superman writers ever, but Rucka certainly makes up for it in WONK. (the fact that we have Robinson writing Superman in Justice League and Blackest Night: Superman makes me want to slap Didio)


same here, what a dumbass move. let rucka do it. isn't waid STILL waiting after all these years for a crack at a superman monthly?

quote:
They probably did this because they WANT us to feel this way. They want us to anticipate Superman coming back full force and everything that has been build up until now to explode into an event. That is a good approach tehnically but, the bad part is, it sucks for those of us who are slowly advancing twoards the climax, since we have to stand through very few Superman appearances where he is at anything but his God-like status (though, like I said, I like his characterization) while his main titls feels like they are a fill-in. Funnily enough, in the latest S/B he wasn't even featured (Robin and Supergirl were the main stars).


aye, i know what you mean. one superman book this month was just wrong.

also, yeah, there'd better be some big climax...

quote:
Right now, the bad parts far outweight the good ones, imo.


totally agree.


__________________

.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2009 04:44 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

Gender: Male
Location: Void

There's been some strong rumours of JMS writing a Superman title and though I really hope he'll take Robinson's place, this probably won't be happening, at least this year. Though I don't think JMS will write a powerfull Superman, he will most definitley sound like.. Superman.

A Mark Waid (Action Comics)/JMS (Superman) would be amazing (and since they both love the character, you know they'd instantly accept the offer to write the titles).

I'm still hoping that someday Grant Morrison will take a shot at writing one of Superman's ongoing titles like he did on Batman. It would be like a dream come true. He has the perfect balance of characterization/powerlevel/story.


__________________


“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Old Post Jul 30th, 2009 07:59 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
...

Gender: Male
Location: Ireland.

Moderator

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Philosophía
There's been some strong rumours of JMS writing a Superman title and though I really hope he'll take Robinson's place, this probably won't be happening, at least this year. Though I don't think JMS will write a powerfull Superman, he will most definitley sound like.. Superman.

A Mark Waid (Action Comics)/JMS (Superman) would be amazing (and since they both love the character, you know they'd instantly accept the offer to write the titles).

I'm still hoping that someday Grant Morrison will take a shot at writing one of Superman's ongoing titles like he did on Batman. It would be like a dream come true. He has the perfect balance of characterization/powerlevel/story.


yeah. totally agree. i honestly hadnt heard anything about JMS, so that is a pleasant surprise.

i dunno if morrison would like to write it. i think he prefers his less mainstream work nowadays, but it would be great if he did.


__________________

.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2009 08:05 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
...

Gender: Male
Location: Ireland.

Moderator

If you haven't read World of New Krypton 6, don't click, spoilers.

Otherwise... BOOYAH!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/pr1983/20-1.jpg


__________________

.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2009 02:53 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Allankles
Kwisatz Haderach

Gender: Male
Location: United States

quote: (post)
Originally posted by -Pr-
If you haven't read World of New Krypton 6, don't click, spoilers.

Otherwise... BOOYAH!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/pr1983/20-1.jpg



lol. I'm two issue behind, I think. WONK makes up for all of this. The only thing keeping from picking up Supergirl post Lane's death is Reactron, I just saw him in another pic in this interview.

That man has "horrible death" written all over him, and I'm not even talking about my dislike of the character, he's just one of those villains that inevitably get monumentally owned and killed in comical or extremely brutal fashion.


__________________


Iboga chose not to fight, to allow himself to evolve. He had the wisdom to abandon the actions of war when he knew they would no longer serve him.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2009 06:42 AM
Allankles is currently offline Click here to Send Allankles a Private Message Find more posts by Allankles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
...

Gender: Male
Location: Ireland.

Moderator

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Allankles
lol. I'm two issue behind, I think. WONK makes up for all of this. The only thing keeping from picking up Supergirl post Lane's death is Reactron, I just saw him in another pic in this interview.

That man has "horrible death" written all over him, and I'm not even talking about my dislike of the character, he's just one of those villains that inevitably get monumentally owned and killed in comical or extremely brutal fashion.


laughing out loud you're probably right...


__________________

.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2009 07:01 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Avlon
Godot Brew#107

Gender: Male
Location: United States

quote: (post)
Originally posted by -Pr-
well that's the thing. as much as new krypton is good (though robinson's dialogue is piss poor at times and you can actually tell when it's rucka writing), we're still seeing something of a shortage of superman being superman.

i don't mind that they want to show us the adventures of superman related characters, but two whole books? you've got mon-el and guardian in superman, and we've got nightwing and flamebird in action. so we have "Commander El" rather than Superman. I do like this whole thing of seeing more of Krypton, but as you said, it does take away something when he's surrounded by Kryptonians and rarely shows his superiority. Granted, it is going somewhere, but i don't see why it has to take almost a year to do it...

Superman has 4 books. Action, Superman, S/B, and World of New Krypton. When he's only appearing in half of his monthly titles, i think something is very wrong, tbh.

I don't mind seeing more of the supporting cast, but i don't see why it has to be at the expense of Superman himself...


I haven't been keeping up with these arcs because they simply haven't been interesting me much. IMO, it would have been much more interesting if they would have used Eradicator, Superboy Conner, and Steel again as in the Reign of the Supermen arc. It would have given these characters some much needed exposure again.


__________________

Humans are afraid of the dark.
And yet… At the same time, we’re fascinated and bewitched by it.
Maybe that’s why humans drink the darkness that is coffee.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2009 11:00 AM
Avlon is currently offline Click here to Send Avlon a Private Message Find more posts by Avlon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
...

Gender: Male
Location: Ireland.

Moderator

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Avlon
I haven't been keeping up with these arcs because they simply haven't been interesting me much. IMO, it would have been much more interesting if they would have used Eradicator, Superboy Conner, and Steel again as in the Reign of the Supermen arc. It would have given these characters some much needed exposure again.


at least we get to see conner in adventure comics...


__________________

.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2009 11:04 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
All times are UTC. The time now is 12:13 AM.
  Last Thread   Next Thread

Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » SDCC 09 VIDEO: Dan DiDio Talks SUPERMAN

Email this Page
Subscribe to this Thread
   Post New Thread  Post A Reply

Forum Jump:
Search by user:
 

Forum Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is OFF
vB code is ON
Smilies are ON
[IMG] code is ON

Text-only version
 

< - KillerMovies.com - Forum Archive - Forum Rules >


© Copyright 2000-2006, KillerMovies.com. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by: vBulletin, copyright ©2000-2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.