KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Superman - how much can he lift?

Superman - how much can he lift?
Started by: Placidity

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Placidity
Chief Executive Officer

Superman - how much can he lift?

So I recently got into a debate about Superman vs Goku, and was asked to provide what I thought was the average weight Superman could lift - and I really didn't know the answer and had to think about it for a while.

So this is question to all you guys. There is obviously no right or wrong answer, there are high and low end feats, and where the middle is, is different for everyone - Basically how each person interprets the character. So please don't post feats as "evidence" for yourself or against someone else's view.

For me I still haven't decided, but around 1 million tons should not be too difficult for him on average.

The other difficulty is translating the feats into tons, but lets see where Superman stands on KMC. Who knows if we get enough opinions on here we might be able to set a precedent smile

Old Post Mar 11th, 2012 10:59 AM
Placidity is currently offline Click here to Send Placidity a Private Message Find more posts by Placidity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

He's well in to the quintillion/sextillion range if we're talking upper levels. Probably higher depending on writer.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Mar 11th, 2012 11:41 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Placidity
Chief Executive Officer

quote: (post)
Originally posted by -Pr-
He's well in to the quintillion/sextillion range if we're talking upper levels. Probably higher depending on writer.

Well yea, what I'm after is average though. So I'm thinking your estimate is likely over 1 billion tons on average?

Old Post Mar 11th, 2012 11:48 AM
Placidity is currently offline Click here to Send Placidity a Private Message Find more posts by Placidity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Placidity
Well yea, what I'm after is average though. So I'm thinking your estimate is likely over 1 billion tons on average?

In terms of lifting, I don't think he really has an average tbh. But yeah, over a billion easy.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Mar 11th, 2012 11:27 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Placidity
Chief Executive Officer

Originally posted by -Pr-
In terms of lifting, I don't think he really has an average tbh.

I disagree with that to be frank. I think if you take each showing in every comic and determine how much he lifted in each (in ones that can be quantified, and a rough scientific estimate for ones that aren't easily quantified), you could work out an average.

Now of course this is a very difficult task and beyond reasonable, but I'm just asking for each person's guess of what that would or should be. And in a way, as a supporter for Superman in the Vs debates, one would be putting something on the line by commenting on his/her opinion of their character's average strength (could be used against you). So again not an easy thing to do, practically or in terms of the estimate possibly becoming a liability in debates later on.

But I do wish someone would give it a shot! Even getting a consensus on the weight range would be nice.

Old Post Mar 12th, 2012 08:09 AM
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

I doubt you're going to be able to get a very accurate number.

As for Superman's strength like most characters in that range it can be highly dynamic, and can go up and down.

But if we're talking about what I think he is listed at. The best I can give you is he is for sure planetary, in that I bet he can lift a planet if need be.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Mar 12th, 2012 01:09 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I disagree with that to be frank. I think if you take each showing in every comic and determine how much he lifted in each (in ones that can be quantified, and a rough scientific estimate for ones that aren't easily quantified), you could work out an average.

Now of course this is a very difficult task and beyond reasonable, but I'm just asking for each person's guess of what that would or should be. And in a way, as a supporter for Superman in the Vs debates, one would be putting something on the line by commenting on his/her opinion of their character's average strength (could be used against you). So again not an easy thing to do, practically or in terms of the estimate possibly becoming a liability in debates later on.

But I do wish someone would give it a shot! Even getting a consensus on the weight range would be nice.

Well you see, that's the thing: Building an average usually allows you to draw from high and low feats, and the average is usually somewhere in the middle.

The problem with Superman is that it's very rare that you actually find him failing to lift something, and then he goes and does things like move planets and push warworlds in to boomtubes.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Mar 12th, 2012 01:31 PM
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Yeah his average comes in the terms of levels of foes he can face. But feat wise he normally just does whatever he needs to. within his powerset of course

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post Mar 12th, 2012 04:04 PM
Lek Kuen is currently offline Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CosmicComet

1 billion tons is about the weight of a small mountain. (everest would weigh hundreds of trillions of tons)

1 billion tons is far too low a number for his 'average'. FAR too low.

I'm going to say in the hundreds of quintillions of tons range, just like in All-Star Superman. Though truthfully, it could be a alot higher judging by feats, since 200 quintillion tons is a lot less than the weight of the earth.

Old Post Mar 14th, 2012 02:15 AM
CosmicComet is currently offline Click here to Send CosmicComet a Private Message Find more posts by CosmicComet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

It's impossible to figure out an average weight Superman lifts, because the objects he tends to lift really don't have an average weight... His lifting feats range from lifting cars (a few tons), to airplanes (75 tons), to white dwarf stars (100 tons), to pyramids (75 million tons), to the earth itself (roughly 3,250,000,000,000,000,000 tons), to the infinite book (infinite tons.)

(I'd love to see someone average out those figures out. stick out tongue)

Aside from that, anyone who argues that Goku can lift more than Superman hasn't read much (if any) Superman-related material.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Mar 14th, 2012 08:57 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

A white dwarf star would weigh far more than a hundred tons.

Old Post Mar 14th, 2012 09:37 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CosmicComet

im guessing that was a typo or something.

(airplanes can be hundreds of tons btw)

Old Post Mar 14th, 2012 10:55 PM
CosmicComet is currently offline Click here to Send CosmicComet a Private Message Find more posts by CosmicComet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by ares834
A white dwarf star would weigh far more than a hundred tons.
Not the one Superman lifted. It was a baby white dwarf that weighed exactly 100 tons.

Originally posted by CosmicComet
(airplanes can be hundreds of tons btw)
Yeah, boeing 747's, and the like, weigh roughly 300 tons. He has lifted those (obviously), but I was referring to the personal aircraft he lifted in a MoS issue I read the other day... It was the the first thing that came to mind.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Mar 14th, 2012 11:04 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

I think if you take each showing in every comic and determine how much he lifted in each (in ones that can be quantified, and a rough scientific estimate for ones that aren't easily quantified), you could work out an average.
That is idiotic. If he lifted a ton, 10 tons and finally 100 tons, it doesn't mean that on average he is able to lift only around 37 tons, when the first two objects he lifts are something that are not even close to straining him. That's about as dumb as saying that since he fights both Toyman and Mongul, his average is somewhere in-between them, so he wouldn't be able to take on Mongul on average.

Even John Byrne had him capable of lifting mountains, and there likely isn't a post Crisis writer who would think of him any less than that.

If you want to make an average, you can do it on a writer-to-writer basis and aproximate where his upper limit would be on each portrayal, but not on some asinine "here he lifted x, here y, here z, let's make the mean!".

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Old Post Mar 14th, 2012 11:29 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Placidity
Chief Executive Officer

Originally posted by Philosophía
That is idiotic. If he lifted a ton, 10 tons and finally 100 tons, it doesn't mean that on average he is able to lift only around 37 tons, when the first two objects he lifts are something that are not even close to straining him. That's about as dumb as saying that since he fights both Toyman and Mongul, his average is somewhere in-between them, so he wouldn't be able to take on Mongul on average.

Even John Byrne had him capable of lifting mountains, and there likely isn't a post Crisis writer who would think of him any less than that.

If you want to make an average, you can do it on a writer-to-writer basis and aproximate where his upper limit would be on each portrayal, but not on some asinine "here he lifted x, here y, here z, let's make the mean!".

Why so mad? Why the insults? You made a valid point, you also revealed yourself to be a complete douchebag.

Obviously I would not factor in feats like lifting a newspaper, but anything of considerable weight (or whatever you consider low-end weights), lets say over 100,000 tons, or whatever you want to set it at. Thats just my opinion - you can have yours - no need to act like a absolute jerk.

Old Post Mar 15th, 2012 12:51 AM
Prof. T.C McAbe
Kryptonian Scientist

Class 100

No, as a general rule you can say. Superman lifts always the double amount of WBH limit.

Sig made by my mate, the one and only One_Angry_Scot

Old Post Mar 16th, 2012 03:13 PM
Prof. T.C McAbe is currently offline Click here to Send Prof. T.C McAbe a Private Message Find more posts by Prof. T.C McAbe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

As an "average," I would simply place Superman in the Teraton Class (anywhere from 1 trillion to 999 trillion tons).

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2012 05:35 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cogito

As a reporter, Clark lifts a lot of pencils, pens, notepads and the like. That's gotta bring his average way down

stick out tongue

"And then there was nothing. A once broken something now void.
And on the first day, Doom spoke...
'Be.'
And then there was life."

Old Post Apr 5th, 2012 05:48 PM
Cogito is currently offline Click here to Send Cogito a Private Message Find more posts by Cogito Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Originally posted by Cogito
As a reporter, Clark lifts a lot of pencils, pens, notepads and the like. That's gotta bring his average way down

stick out tongue

Don't give carver ideas.

Old Post Apr 7th, 2012 12:19 PM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rao Kal El
DJ FrostByte

When He was rebooted by Byrne.

Byrne designed his power to be basically dynamic and related to his psionics.

He did this on purpose as He knew with time other writers will take over Superman and He wanted to give them the liberty of playing with his powers.

Couple of times I have seen the reference "Superman is as powerful as he needs to be"

So the real average is "as strong or powerful as He needs to be"

His psionic powers play a bigger role than his physiology or "godly" heritage.

Sometimes I wonder if many people are aware how his psionics affect his own powers and when the phsyology part kicks in.

Thank You Prof. T.C McAbe, You are Superman!

Old Post Apr 11th, 2012 09:28 AM
Rao Kal El is currently offline Click here to Send Rao Kal El a Private Message Find more posts by Rao Kal El Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote