KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Best Superman artist?

Best Superman artist?
Started by: CosmicComet

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
CosmicComet

Best Superman artist?

Who captures Superman the best in your opinion?

I gotta say Jim Lee.

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/mul..._SupesVsZod.jpg
http://latimesherocomplex.files.wor...or-tomorrow.jpg
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/...180-jim-lee.jpg
http://www.supermanhomepage.com/mul..._Supes5-tb.html

He gives Superman the appropriate amount of youth and makes him look like a real hardened leader.

People say he makes Superman look angry too often, but that's just the circumstances of his stories. Besides that, SO WHAT? Nothing looks more bad ass than an angry Jim Lee Superman. Not many people can do it like him. Besides he is able to draw Superman as looking very calm and serene as well;
http://www.dialbforblog.com/archives/325/jim_lee.jpg

Old Post Jun 25th, 2012 03:34 AM
CosmicComet is currently offline Click here to Send CosmicComet a Private Message Find more posts by CosmicComet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ankur29
ankur

^ agree, jim lee draws an awesome superman and batman and other dc charecters to be fair.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2012 09:38 AM
ankur29 is currently offline Click here to Send ankur29 a Private Message Find more posts by ankur29 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rao Kal El
DJ FrostByte

I really like Neal Adams, John Byrne and Jerry Ordway.

I also like Jim Lee, but my fav is Alex Ross big grin

Thank You Prof. T.C McAbe, You are Superman!

Old Post Jun 25th, 2012 12:49 PM
Rao Kal El is currently offline Click here to Send Rao Kal El a Private Message Find more posts by Rao Kal El Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
emporerpants

i would have to say jim lee.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2012 03:05 PM
emporerpants is currently offline Click here to Send emporerpants a Private Message Find more posts by emporerpants Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CosmicComet

I respect Alex Ross greatly, but his Superman always looks like he's in his 50s, or even early 60s--even without gray hair.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2012 05:13 PM
CosmicComet is currently offline Click here to Send CosmicComet a Private Message Find more posts by CosmicComet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

In loose order:

Ed Benes
Jim Lee
Ian Churchill
Ivan Reis
Doug Mahnke
Mike Weiringo
Michael Turner
Ed McGuinness
Pete Woods

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jun 25th, 2012 07:50 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Frank Quitely.

Normally, I'm not a fan of his artwork in comics--but in All-Star Superman, it worked perfectly. Tbh, I don't think any other type of artwork (with the possible exception of Alex Ross') would have suited that story.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jun 25th, 2012 07:57 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CosmicComet

quote: (post)
Originally posted by -Pr-
In loose order:

Ed Benes
Jim Lee
Ian Churchill
Ivan Reis
Doug Mahnke
Mike Weiringo
Michael Turner
Ed McGuinness
Pete Woods

Ed Benes is a great one, probably a close second for me.

He and Jim Lee's are very similar as far as build goes. But Benes Superman looks a little younger and thus less defined in the face. Benes Superman looks friendlier, more heroic at times maybe. And Jim's is more stoic looking, and invokes more of a warrior image.

Old Post Jun 25th, 2012 08:13 PM
dyajeep

* thumbs up, Ed Benes and Jim Lee... and Ian Churchill...

Old Post Jun 26th, 2012 06:44 AM
dyajeep is currently offline Click here to Send dyajeep a Private Message Find more posts by dyajeep Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Gary Frank's Superman was very distinct for the eerie resemblance to Christopher Reeve. Never saw anyone do that before.

I know he's one of Alex Ross top characters to illustrate, but to me his signature character is Captain Marvel. He's got the Best Artist award for him hands down, in my opinion.

Have to give mention to the great work done in years past by George Perez and Shane Davis, too. When Ron Frenz was doing him in the 1990's, you also got a real sense of how Superman would be done at Marvel Comics, with his John Buscema-influenced style.

...But right now, with the spiffed up suit, Jim Lee holds the title.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jul 6th, 2012 04:24 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

Jim Lee. But Alex Ross' is hard to beat.

A toss up between those two extremes.

Old Post Jul 6th, 2012 06:42 PM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
OB1-adobe

In loose order:

Ed Benes
Jim Lee
Ian Churchill
Ivan Reis
Doug Mahnke
Mike Weiringo
Michael Turner
Ed McGuinness
Pete Woods

Yeah, Jim lee, Ed benes, Tom Grummet, and whether it was Brett breeding or Dan jurgens. Those are my faves.

I liked how Rags Morales drew everyone else in IC, but his Superman looked like an old guy wearing pajamas with a cape.

Old Post Jul 9th, 2012 04:06 AM
OB1-adobe is currently offline Click here to Send OB1-adobe a Private Message Find more posts by OB1-adobe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by OB1-adobe
Yeah, Jim lee, Ed benes, Tom Grummet, and whether it was Brett breeding or Dan jurgens. Those are my faves.

I liked how Rags Morales drew everyone else in IC, but his Superman looked like an old guy wearing pajamas with a cape.

I didn't care for the look of Rags' art when he was doing Justice League, but he's doing much better on Action Comics right now. Maybe it's the choice of inker.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jul 9th, 2012 03:49 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SquallX

Michael Turner was one of the best Superman/Wonder Woman artist. Go read God Fall, he's Superman, especially with his new clothes was so ****ing bad-ass.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2012 05:55 PM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by SquallX
Michael Turner was one of the best Superman/Wonder Woman artist. Go read God Fall, he's Superman, especially with his new clothes was so ****ing bad-ass.

Michael Turner did the covers for Godfall, but not the interior art stick out tongue

That was Talent Caldwell.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jul 21st, 2012 02:20 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Alex Ross.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2012 05:02 AM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SquallX

Michael Turner did the covers for Godfall, but not the interior art stick out tongue

That was Talent Caldwell.

Really? i seriously did not know that.

But Turner did draw the Superman/Batman one when Supergirl was first introduce, or was it also Caldwell?

Old Post Jul 27th, 2012 03:45 AM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by SquallX
Really? i seriously did not know that.

But Turner did draw the Superman/Batman one when Supergirl was first introduce, or was it also Caldwell?

No that was Turner.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jul 27th, 2012 04:16 AM
SquallX

No that was Turner.

I always loved the way Turner drew his woman. He showed the muscle they posses, and how ripped they are, all the same time keeping that femininity they posses.

There not muscle bound that they look awkward.

Old Post Jul 27th, 2012 01:05 PM
Damborgson
King of the Damboys

-Abhi Killer- X2

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f105/t655309.html

Old Post Jul 31st, 2012 06:14 AM
Damborgson is currently offline Click here to Send Damborgson a Private Message Find more posts by Damborgson Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote