KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Superman » Superman in the New 52

Superman in the New 52
Started by: -Pr-

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (16): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Superman in the New 52

Not sure if we have a thread like this already, so If we do, apologies. Basically the idea of this thread is to talk about how people like or dislike how Superman has been portrayed in the New 52 accross the books he's been featured in (which are at this moment, primarily JL, Action and Superman). I'm talking powers and power level, personality, his relationships, and even the costume itself, which was one of the biggest changes on a very obvious level.

I'll start:

Power wise I've been very pleased by how they've portrayed him; already he's a Herald, and more than once we've had people talking about how he's without equal power wise. Hyperbole or not, it does show how highly he's been regarded.

At this point I'd say he's Low-to-Mid Herald, but he's accelerating towards High imo.

Personality wise I like that there are obvious differences between Action, the early arcs of JL and of course, Superman. While Superman seems to deal with it more than the others, I am kind of stuck waiting on them to actually go and give him a girlfriend seeing as Lois isn't in the picture (though they're already hinting at it, the bastards). Hopefully Morrison lets young Superman have some fun. Or even Johns in JL.

The suit? I like it. It being armor doesn't really bother me as much as before, as his powers have still grown quite strong in the past few months. Beating his "clone", going toe-to-toe with Darkseid, etc. All showing that he's a foce to be reckoned with.

My favourite Superman moment post reboot?

Has to be this:

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

But yeah, very happy with how Superman has been portrayed in the New 52, especially considering how bad he'd had it the last three or four years under people like Robinson and McDuffie.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Jul 6th, 2012 12:27 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Think they may do something radical and have Superman get involved with someone other than Lois? Like Lana, Diana...someone outside his usual sandbox. Like Spider Man since the events of OMD, it's an opportunity to explore.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jul 6th, 2012 04:15 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

morrison said he would; we're just waiting to see who it is at this point.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jul 9th, 2012 07:03 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

I like how Superman is earning his hype a lot, actually.

Old Post Jul 9th, 2012 07:28 AM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
I like how Superman is earning his hype a lot, actually.

You mean he's as good as they're saying he is?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jul 9th, 2012 07:40 AM
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

Originally posted by -Pr-
You mean he's as good as they're saying he is?

Yeah, for the most part.

I was afraid that in the new continuity, Superman would be given good feats, sure, but there would be a lot of lip service designed purely just to build him up through comments and statements made by narration or other characters.

I liked how Morrison was adamant about giving him his "labors" so to speak, and other writers are following suit, more or less.

Old Post Jul 9th, 2012 07:44 AM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Yeah, for the most part.

I was afraid that in the new continuity, Superman would be given good feats, sure, but there would be a lot of lip service designed purely just to build him up through comments and statements made by narration or other characters.

I liked how Morrison was adamant about giving him his "labors" so to speak, and other writers are following suit, more or less.

Oh, okay, and yeah, I agree totally. Even in the Perez/Jurgens book they've been doing their best to show him off.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jul 9th, 2012 08:21 AM
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Honestly I haven't seen him do anything impressive in the new continuity. Although I might have missed something. What's his best feat?

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Jul 9th, 2012 08:25 AM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Endless Mike
Honestly I haven't seen him do anything impressive in the new continuity. Although I might have missed something. What's his best feat?

His best ones, I would say, are:

In JLA:

The Parademon army.
Smashing Hal's constructs.
Tagging Barry.
Briefly matching Darkseid physically, especially when the guy had been basically no-selling everything else.

Action, he's young, so his feats aren't going to be uber, but for his power level, they're pretty impressive.

Leaping in to space.
His fight on the Brainiac ship.
Speed-wise he's shown really, really good reflexes.

I'm probably forgetting others.

In Superman, he's actually had some really good ones.

Beating his "double" when the thing had basically smacked Supergirl around like a red-headed stepchild.
His encounters with the "elementals".

I'm probably forgetting more, again...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jul 10th, 2012 08:29 AM
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

I haven't been reading the new JLA so that explains it. Honestly Supergirl has been impressing me more...

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Jul 10th, 2012 08:34 AM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Endless Mike
I haven't been reading the new JLA so that explains it. Honestly Supergirl has been impressing me more...

Read Superman; it's technically the weakest of the three books, but power wise they've shown him to be pretty impressive imo.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jul 10th, 2012 09:03 AM
bluewaterrider

Originally posted by -Pr-

Beating his "double" when the thing had basically smacked Supergirl around like a red-headed stepchild.

You're talking about the Eradicator in Superman #6.

You forget that the Eradicator took Superman himself out an issue or 2 earlier.

Likewise you forget, or do not realize, that the Eradicator did not beat Supergirl with pure physical force, and that Eradicator was not beaten with pure physical force either.

Superman himself highlights that fact while fighting Eradicator.
Note the image I uploaded for this post.

Good scene, though.
And it IS a good feat, just not from the physical force standpoint your post portrays it as.

I disagree with your assessment of the Parademons as his best scene, by the way.
That's probably the WORST I've seen from him.

Superman violently killing opponents when he still (at least theoretically) has the power to contain? That's not Superman.
That felt, and still feels, off.

But I consider that the exception to the overall DCnU Superman portrayal.

In fact, in answer to your original post in this thread, I'm liking DCnU Superman overall a great deal, ESPECIALLY in the way he intelligently tackles enemies.

The level of resourcefulness he demonstrates in some fights is nearly 1960s Spider-man worthy.

SupermanDCnU doesn't seem to have the power of 2011 Superman in any title.

Surprisingly, though, he seems to be garnering MORE readership?

Then again, if this is true ... "surprisingly" is the wrong term to use...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Superman #6, Volume 3
Writer: George Perez
Penciller: Nicola Scott
(Actual) Release Date: February 2012
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachment: 10 supermannu. thinking fighter. figures out how to control eradicators nanotech.jpg
This has been downloaded 236 time(s).

Old Post Jul 10th, 2012 10:39 AM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I said it was my favourite scene, not that it was his best scene.

And no, I disagree tbh.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jul 10th, 2012 07:55 PM
bluewaterrider

confused

You dispute the idea that Superman should not kill unless necessary?

Old Post Jul 10th, 2012 09:23 PM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

The suit is okay. I just wish Morrison would have waited longer to introduce it. I enjoyed this Clark so much more as a character when he was wearing poor boy farm clothes. They gave him an average joe/fallible vibe that lended a LOT to his character, imo.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Jul 10th, 2012 11:02 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by bluewaterrider
confused

You dispute the idea that Superman should not kill unless necessary?

I was talking about the other parts of your post.

Also, they were parademons.

Originally posted by Galan007
The suit is okay. I just wish Morrison would have waited longer to introduce it. I enjoyed this Clark so much more as a character when he was wearing poor boy farm clothes. They gave him an average joe/fallible vibe that lended a LOT to his character, imo.

Agreed.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Jul 11th, 2012 01:49 AM
bluewaterrider

Are parademons non-living beings and I'm unaware of it?
Or are they equivalent to some type of insect that no one should feel remorse over eliminating? Please explain your reasoning.

Also, would appreciate if you clarified what you were disagreeing with me about. As mentioned before, there are quite a few subjects I touched on.

Presumably you disagree that Supergirl was taken down with pure physical force?
Or think that Eradicator was?
Or disagree that Superman was taken out earlier?

I can't imagine you would be arguing that Superman is non-resourceful and UNintelligent when it comes to fighting foes in the Superman magazine, though you might in some other title.

Perhaps you think sales are lower after DC's reboot than they were before?

Clarify, please. What exactly did I write that you disagree with?

Old Post Jul 11th, 2012 03:58 AM
PillarofOsiris

I wonder if Pre Reboot Superman will somehow make an appearance in the new continuity somehow (kind of like a Superboy Prime type of deal).

Old Post Aug 4th, 2012 07:00 PM
PillarofOsiris is currently offline Click here to Send PillarofOsiris a Private Message Find more posts by PillarofOsiris Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

They better not turn him psycho.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Aug 4th, 2012 08:52 PM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PillarofOsiris

DC is doing an amazing job with Superman in the New 52. Imagine that, a company not treating one of their oldest, most well established and popular characters like a pathetic rag doll.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2012 08:07 PM
PillarofOsiris is currently offline Click here to Send PillarofOsiris a Private Message Find more posts by PillarofOsiris Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote