KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » X-Men » Karma

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Mana4X2
To die for, Savvy?

Just like Magma I can't believe there is no thread for this cool New Mutant. Please post your pics of Karma here too.

First Apperance: MARVEL TEAM-UP #100
Hometown: Central highlands of Vietnam
Height: 5'4
Weight: 110
Eye Color: Blue
Hair Color: Black
Powers: Karma is a mutant who has the psionic ability to take possession of the minds of other people or animals. She can control her subject's actions and experience what the subject's senses perceive. During the possession her subject's higher brain functions revert to diminished levels, similar to their state in a dreamless sleep, and the subject is left with no memory of the actual possession.
Although Karma can possess multiple subjects simultaneously, her control over her subjects is fragmented as she shifts her attention from one to another. Possibly she will overcome this handicap as her experience in using her powers grows.

When Karma first takes possession of someone, she can only move her subject's body awkwardly until she acclimates herself to her new host. If she remains in possession of a host for too long she will begin to think and act as her host would, and eventually her own personality would become subordinate to one identical to the host's.

Known Relatives: Coy Leong (brother), Coy Nga (sister), Tran Coy Manh (brother, deceased), General Nguyen Ngoc Coy (uncle, deceased)
Love Interests: Katherine "Kitty" Pryde; Danielle Moonstar
History: Xi'an Coy Manh was the daughter of a colonel in the Vietnamese army. Xi'an and her twin brother Tran Coy Manh were mutants with the power to take mental possession of the minds of others. While still a child, Xi'an saw an enemy soldier threaten Tran. Not realizing she had a superhuman power, Xi'an nevertheless, acting impulsively, took possession of the soldier's mind and stopped him from killing Tran. Tran then successfully attempted the same feat and forced the soldier to kill himself. While Tran took great delight in this use of his newfound power, Xi'an was frightened of her power. She kept their powers secret, but Tran told their uncle Nguyen, a general in the Vietnamese army.

General Coy later arranged for Xi'an's family to leave Vietnam, which was now entirely under a Communist government, but only Tran was sent abroad. Eventually, the rest of the family left Vietnam on a small, crowded boat. Xi'an's father was murdered by attacking pirates, who assaulted the women; her mother died the day the survivors were rescued by the United States Navy. Xi'an, her younger brother Leong, and her younger sister Nga, were sent to the United States to be reunited with her uncle Nguyen and Tran. General Coy had become a powerful and prosperous criminal in the United States (although he was publicly known as a businessman), and Tran was using his powers in his uncle's employ. When Coy asked Xi'an to use her powers in his service, she refused. She sought help from a Catholic priest, Father Michael Bowen, whom she had known in Vietnam. With Father Bowen's aid Xi'an secured employment and an apartment and enrolled her younger siblings in school.

But then General Coy kidnapped Leong and Nga in an effort to blackmail her into working for him. Desperate, she located Spider-Man, whom she believed to be a criminal from accounts in the New York Daily Bugle, and took possession of his mind so she could use his powers to rescue the children. While possessed by Xi'an, Spider-Man fought three members of the Fantastic Four, who were present at a party Coy was hosting, unaware that he was a criminal. Xi'an was forced to release Spider-Man's mind without having freed the children. Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four located Xi'an and Bowen, learned her story, and agreed to help her. Tran used his powers to take control of the Fantastic Four and have them attack Spider-Man. To save Spider-Man, whom she now knew was no criminal, Xi'an was forced to kill her brother by absorbing his life essence into herself. Xi'an was then reunited with Leong and Nga.

Shortly thereafter, Xi'an, who now called herself Karma when using her powers, accepted the invitation of Professor Charles Xavier to enroll in his school in order to learn to use her mutant powers better. Thus, she became the first leader of the new team of young superhuman mutants he was training, the New Mutants.

Eventually Karma left the New Mutants and she subsequently embarked on a long search for Leong and Nga, who had again disappeared. For a time she served General Coy in Madripoor in the hope that he could locate her brother and sister. For a time Leong and Nga were the prisoners of Shinobi Shaw, who made them the subjects of genetic experiments. He then turned them over to Karma's longtime foe, the terrorist known as the Viper, and the extradimensional being Spiral. Recently, Karma and the X-Man known as the Beast joined forces to rescue the two children.

Beast and Karma, along with Cannonball were able to defeat Spiral and save thetwo children. With the last remaining members of her family now safe and sound, Karma decided to enroll in college and live a normal life. However, that all changed when she ran across her old friend, Katherine Pryde.

Katherine Pryde was fighting a battle against a local anti-mutant group by the name of Purity, and with the help of Karma, as well as a new friend, they were able to defeat Purity and destory the sentinels that had attacked Chicago, Illinois.

After the battle, Karma went back to the X-Men to attend the wedding of Alex and Lorna, where she ended up running into Dani Moonstar and is now a teacher at Xavier's School, where she reunited with all of her old, New Mutant teammates.

Norrington: "You actually were telling the truth."
Jack: "I do that quite a lot, yet people are always surprised."

Old Post Jul 19th, 2004 11:12 AM
Mana4X2 is currently offline Click here to Send Mana4X2 a Private Message Find more posts by Mana4X2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kohl
into the void

---

Attachment: karma.jpg
This has been downloaded 141 time(s).

Old Post Jul 19th, 2004 10:15 PM
kohl is currently offline Click here to Send kohl a Private Message Find more posts by kohl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mana4X2
To die for, Savvy?

Thanks kohl. Unfortunately I cannot load the ones I have of her here cos they are all bmps and KMC won't take them.

Mana

Old Post Jul 20th, 2004 01:05 PM
Mana4X2 is currently offline Click here to Send Mana4X2 a Private Message Find more posts by Mana4X2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kohl
into the void

if you have paint shop pro or even mspaint, you can convert them. choose save as .jpg and that will solve it.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2004 11:07 PM
kohl is currently offline Click here to Send kohl a Private Message Find more posts by kohl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Paola
Ronin

yes yeah.... do it Mana!

by Scythe

Old Post Jul 21st, 2004 04:52 AM
Paola is currently offline Click here to Send Paola a Private Message Find more posts by Paola Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Shadow_King
-

did'nt karma have history with shadow king

Old Post Jul 21st, 2004 04:53 AM
Shadow_King is currently offline Click here to Send Shadow_King a Private Message Find more posts by Shadow_King Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mana4X2
To die for, Savvy?

no I'm gonna cry. My housemate doesn't have either of them! Is there any other way?

Mana

Old Post Jul 21st, 2004 10:46 AM
Mana4X2
To die for, Savvy?

Here's one I managed to find in .jpeg format

Attachment: karma_1.jpg
This has been downloaded 112 time(s).

Old Post Jul 21st, 2004 10:53 AM
Cepheus

kool

Old Post Jul 21st, 2004 10:55 AM
Cepheus is currently offline Click here to Send Cepheus a Private Message Find more posts by Cepheus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kohl
into the void

from uncannyxmen dot net.

Attachment: 001.jpg
This has been downloaded 89 time(s).

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2004 02:06 AM
kohl
into the void

new mutants uniform.

Attachment: 002.jpg
This has been downloaded 87 time(s).

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2004 02:07 AM
kohl
into the void

---

Attachment: 003.jpg
This has been downloaded 85 time(s).

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2004 02:07 AM
kohl
into the void

----

Attachment: 004.jpg
This has been downloaded 96 time(s).

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2004 02:08 AM
Mana4X2
To die for, Savvy?

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you, kohl! You a legend! rolling on floor laughing Happy Dance rock

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2004 12:08 PM
Mana4X2
To die for, Savvy?

Just found this one! At least I think it is her

Attachment: karma_mekanix6.jpg
This has been downloaded 106 time(s).

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2004 12:56 PM
Mana4X2
To die for, Savvy?

And this one...

Attachment: karma_redesign.jpg
This has been downloaded 102 time(s).

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2004 12:59 PM
GreatMuta
The Natural Born Master

I liked Karma better when she was Fatter than fat! She was a very imposing figure.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2004 05:48 PM
GreatMuta is currently offline Click here to Send GreatMuta a Private Message Find more posts by GreatMuta Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kohl
into the void

quote:
Originally posted by Mana4X2
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you, kohl! You a legend! rolling on floor laughing Happy Dance rock

i wouldn't go that far! :>

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2004 09:50 PM
Mana4X2
To die for, Savvy?

From Mana...

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jul 28th, 2004 10:04 AM
SummonerYuna

quote:
Originally posted by Mana4X2
Just found this one! At least I think it is her

Mmn. That one's Kitty, from the cover of Mekanix 6. ^_~

Old Post Dec 5th, 2004 07:10 AM
SummonerYuna is currently offline Click here to Send SummonerYuna a Private Message Find more posts by SummonerYuna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote