KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » X-Men » X-Men Misc. FYIs

X-Men Misc. FYIs
Started by: Jury

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jury
Extreme Member

X-Men Misc. FYIs

The queer world of the X-Men
By Erik Dussere, July 17, 2000

You missed the one very strong "gay metaphor" story line in the X-Men of late: the introduction of the Legacy virus, a virus that at first only killed mutants. The regular humans comment about it being a good thing, because who needs more mutants? And then suddenly, this mutant-only virus can be caught by regular people as well, and it's all those damn mutants' fault.

The Legacy virus parallels' to the HIV/AIDS epidemic were uncomfortable to read to say the least, and by far the least subtle of the gay themes in the book. But it brought about some of my favorite issues of those books ever, so I suppose in comics, as in real life, difficult and uncomfortable situations demonstrate to us who the real heroes are, and aren't. A gay fan of the X-Men, -- Alex Darke

The writer is absolutely right about the gay themes of the X-Men. Don't think for a minute the filmmakers doesn't know this. The director, Bryan Singer, is openly gay and Ian McKellen is a gay activist. -- Rebekka Kai Taubman

For the most part, I would imagine Marvel Entertainment's head honchos are unaware how their writers have appropriated and continue to appropriate gay themes. The most forthright use of the metaphor isn't in the 1982 graphic novel Dussere read as an adolescent but the current "Children of the Atom" miniseries by writer Joe Casey.

Incidentally, as the relatively well-adjusted teens in rival DC's comic "Legion of Superheroes" have also enjoyed a longstanding gay readership, I don't think it's purely the alienation themes that hold an attraction. But Dussere is right that all kids probably pick up on that feeling of alienation.

I do have a complaint about Dussere's piece. Saying the X-Men and other Marvel characters were created by Stan Lee denigrates the achievement of one of the great unknown pop artists of the 20th century, the cartoonist Jack Kirby. The only thing that most knowledgeable people question at this point is how much Lee may have been involved in Kirby's creations, not if Kirby contributed to Lee's.

If X-Men is about fighting for those stripped of their rights, it would be nice if the general public afforded Kirby his artistic right to be recognized for what everyone -- except maybe Lee's press agent -- should recognize as, at the very least, Kirby's co-creations. -- Tom Spurgeon

This article was one of the most flawed pieces of leftist rhetoric I have seen in quite a while. The author's weak attempt to draw a parallel between what the Jews and blacks have gone through with the homosexual agenda are not only insulting to Jews and blacks, they are insulting to basic human intelligence. I suggest you do a better job of reporting information, instead of being a conduit for the homosexual agenda. -- Jon Hartman

Source

Last edited by Jury on Sep 13th, 2004 at 10:13 AM

Old Post Sep 13th, 2004 10:06 AM
Jury is currently offline Click here to Send Jury a Private Message Find more posts by Jury Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kohl
into the void

hm. it's not like marvel loves to take a stand ... their portrayal of gay characters usually consists on forgetting said character has a personality, and making their being gay all there is to them.
in general terms (ie. politics or other social issues) they can sound extreme if a bit over the top. they seem to pull the bureaucratic card all too often and the way they solve things is not truly consistent.
i'm sure this post wasn't made to get essay-like replies, but anyway. while i love marvel for the x-men and such, and some awesome writers have graced the titles, i feel certain subjects should be dealt with in different ways. most of the time i wish i wrote for marvel. heh.

Old Post Sep 13th, 2004 01:52 PM
kohl is currently offline Click here to Send kohl a Private Message Find more posts by kohl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wonder Man
Most Powerful Avenger

There is a certian flaw in the logic that if you fear something you should embrace it. Being gay myself, i too have the right to be disgusted by hetrosexuals. I have the right to express hatred twords them for no reason at all, just because i can. But i don't. Having the power to do something is not sufficant reason to do so. Marvel, society, young and old need to be the one's to wake themselves up if they choose to. I can continue to look the other way when i am faced with that kind of hatred.
Unfortunatly, the world is training their gays along with their straights how to emulate such hate the world over. It really is irrelevant who your having sex with when all you've spent your life doing is hating.
The good thing is is that no one wants to be around you if you do such things. If you believe otherwise your the fool.

Ion: Sub-Atomic Power

Old Post Sep 13th, 2004 02:32 PM
Wonder Man is currently offline Click here to Send Wonder Man a Private Message Find more posts by Wonder Man Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kohl
into the void

i don't think hate is necessarily related to sexuality. gay people can be narrow-minded as well (despite being a 'minority' or whatever society calls them and despite being alienated) and straight people can be tolerant. the point is, it's ignorance that breeds hate.

Old Post Sep 13th, 2004 05:34 PM
kohl is currently offline Click here to Send kohl a Private Message Find more posts by kohl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote:
it's ignorance that breeds hate

true

maelstrom your being a little cynical dont u think?

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Sep 13th, 2004 08:15 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Paola
Ronin

why? confused

by Scythe

Old Post Sep 13th, 2004 08:17 PM
Paola is currently offline Click here to Send Paola a Private Message Find more posts by Paola Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote:
Unfortunatly, the world is training their gays along with their straights how to emulate such hate the world over.

i think thats a bit much

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Sep 13th, 2004 08:22 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jury
Extreme Member

No more FYIs? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Jan 25th, 2006 05:49 AM
Jury is currently offline Click here to Send Jury a Private Message Find more posts by Jury Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
katie_girl09

Why can't X-men just be about a new breed of MUTANT human beings being discriminated against? Why do people have to look for a deeper meaning to everything? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Jan 25th, 2006 05:57 AM
katie_girl09 is currently offline Click here to Send katie_girl09 a Private Message Find more posts by katie_girl09 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willRules
4 8 15 16 23 42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by katie_girl09
Why can't X-men just be about a new breed of MUTANT human beings being discriminated against? Why do people have to look for a deeper meaning to everything? roll eyes (sarcastic)

It echoes certain themes. Personally I think it echoes the 1950's racial prejudice in America more so than homosexuality. But like you say it should be taken fro what it is.................

Old Post Jan 25th, 2006 04:01 PM
willRules is currently offline Click here to Send willRules a Private Message Find more posts by willRules Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quiqueg34

I agree with will. It's about intolerance in general. A fight for equality. Whether someone is gay, african american, handicaped, or a 49ers fan. The stronger should fight for those who can't fight for themselves. Edmond Burke said, "The easiest way for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." X-MEN ROCKS!

Old Post Jan 27th, 2006 04:08 PM
quiqueg34 is currently offline Click here to Send quiqueg34 a Private Message Find more posts by quiqueg34 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kovacs86

if you want a gay story line, read the GL where Kyle's mate Terry gets gay- bashed!

Thanks to Badwolf for the great sig!

Old Post Feb 8th, 2006 07:38 PM
Kovacs86 is currently offline Click here to Send Kovacs86 a Private Message Find more posts by Kovacs86 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cosmic Flame

I don't think that it's necessarily ignorance that breeds hate. I think it's people's unwillingness to look at people as individuals instead of types. Ignorance can only take one so far and count for so much. With the number of homosexuals that are open in the world, people can't say that they don't know what homosexuals are like anymore. It's the stereotypes that are popular anyway (Will & Grace, Queer Eye, etc.), and these show up in print in characters like Northstar, etc. People know that there are homosexuals in all levels of government, in the military, in universities and public schools, picking up trash, arresting criminals, painting houses. People also choose to see what they want to see.

Old Post Feb 8th, 2006 08:08 PM
Cosmic Flame is currently offline Click here to Send Cosmic Flame a Private Message Find more posts by Cosmic Flame Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote