KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » X-Men » Comingsoon.net's Stupid Review

Comingsoon.net's Stupid Review
Started by: Xam

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Xam
Lord Xam

Comingsoon.net's Stupid Review

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Comingsoon.net!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------

X-Men: The Last Stand
Reviewed by: Edward Douglas
Rating: 5.5 out of 10
Movie Details: View here

Cast:
Hugh Jackman as Logan/Wolverine
Halle Berry as Ororo Munroe/Storm
Ian McKellen as Eric Lensherr/Magneto
Famke Janssen as Dr. Jean Grey/Phoenix
Anna Paquin as Marie/Rogue
Kelsey Grammer as Dr. Hank McCoy/Beast
Rebecca Romijn as Raven Darkholme/Mystique
James Marsden as Scott Summers/Cyclops
Shawn Ashmore as Bobby Drake/Iceman
Vinnie Jones as Cain Marko/Juggernaut
Aaron Stanford as John Allerdyce/Pyro
Patrick Stewart as Professor Charles Xavier
Ben Foster as Warren Worthington III/Angel
Dania Ramirez as Callisto
Olivia Williams as Dr. Moira MacTaggart

Directed by Brett Ratner

Summary:
The last chapter in a trilogy should be the biggest and the best, and it's disappointing that this one never really achieves its full potential.

Story:
Professor X (Patrick Stewart) and his mutant superteam of X-Men once again take on Magneto (Ian McKellen) and his Brotherhood of Evil Mutants in a battle that has repercussions for all mutants, when the government offers a "cure" for mutations that may be a blessing to some, but an attack on mutantdom as a whole.

Analysis:
(Note: Minor spoilers for this movie and the previous one may be included.)

There's little question in my mind that "X2: X-Men United" was one of the best translations of a comic book onto the movie screen, and quite a step up from Bryan Singer's introduction of the characters three years earlier. Because of this, there are probably more expectations for "X-Men: The Last Stand" than any sequel could possibly endure, let alone a director trying to step into Singer's shoes.

That be as it may, the plot for the third movie is loosely based on the classic "Dark Phoenix" storyline with bits from a hodgepodge of sources that creates a strange chicken and egg scenario. While the comics have slowly morphed to more closely resemble the movies, the screenwriters then turn around and cherry-pick bits from the recent comic books: the "cure" storyline is taken from Joss Whedon's "Astonishing X-Men," the Iceman/Kitty Pryde/Rogue love triangle is taken from recent issues of "Ultimate X-Men," and the relationship between Wolverine and Jean Grey is similar to how Grant Morrison explored it in "New X-Men."

The big problem is that like in the comic books, the number of mutants have gotten out of control, and there's no way that all of them could possibly get the amount of screen time or focus they deserve. Because of that, they all get their moments and then are quickly discarded or forgotten. The worst of these is Colossus, who has a slightly bigger role than the last movie though still lacks any personality, and Multiple Man, who is little more than a cool gimmick.

Of course, Hugh Jackman's Wolverine is still the driving force of the movie, but with his origins being explored in the previous movie, it doesn't leave much more to add to the character except for him to react to Jean Grey's return from her watery grave. Most of the quips that made Jackman so much fun in the role are gone. It's also hard not to be disappointed at some of the missed opportunities like when Magneto and Wolverine face off. True comic fans will expect to see the Adamantium ripped out of Wolvie's body; instead, he's just thrown around.

Halle Berry negotiated herself a much larger role, but frankly, it might have been a mistake to have appeased her. Storm just isn't particularly impressive, with her powers enhanced to allow her the power to spin like a tornado. Likewise, those who've followed the developments of Bobby Drake AKA Iceman since his cameo in the first movie will be expecting a lot more him. While we do get to see him ice-up, expectations of elaborate ice slides should be laid to rest, and even a fire vs. ice showdown against Aaron Stanford's Pyro comes too late in the game.

Then there's the new mutants: Ben Foster's Warren Worthington AKA Angel, a mutant with beautiful wings, is introduced in a grisly flashback where he's trying to saw them off. Years later, his rich father has developed a chemical formula to "cure" mutations, but Warren isn't having any of that. This subplot has many possibilities but like so many of them, it's never resolved in a satisfying manner, making this one of the first and only times this year I wished a movie were longer to deal with these issues.

Kelsey Grammer, TV's "Frasier," dons a ridiculous looking blue pelt to become Dr. Hank McCoy, the Secretary of Mutant Affairs--"Beast" to his mutant pals. By the time we actually see him in action, it involves the same cheesy wirework that looks so bad in so many other superhero movies. Maybe this is a fanboyish quibble, but the look of Vinnie Jones' Juggernaut and how his powers are used isn't so great either. In the comics, he's an enormous behemoth, a wall of a man, who can slowly tear everything down in his path. This Juggernaut isn't as big, and he runs through walls at super-speed, which just isn't the same thing. Ellen Page's Kitty Pryde probably comes the closest to living up to her comic potential, though her part is so small.

At times, the movie seems like those interlude issues of the comic that popped up after every big event, where the characters deal with their feelings about what happened. It's good reading, not so much when you're expecting a lot of action, and the writing really isn't up to snuff, mostly made up of lines that sound foolish when said aloud. Considering how tight the writing was in the last movie, it's a serious step back for the franchise.

Then there are the deaths and the mutants "cured," which I won't reveal. At the end of "X2," a character supposedly killed was given hope for new life. Of course, she's back, but then another key character is disposed of off-camera and then quickly forgotten, while another gets a glorious death before an obvious out is inserted after the credits. Just knowing that these mutants may be no more makes it hard to enjoy the movie, while disproving the old adage of comic book characters not truly being dead unless you see the body. Still, when someone important dies in a movie, you should be forced to feel something, and even these prominent deaths don't elicit any sort of emotion.

That's not to say that the movie is completely terrible, the best parts of the film being when Magneto and Phoenix let loose with their powers, which gives the stunt and effects department a chance to do the same. One has to imagine that given more time in post-production would have allowed these scenes to be even more refined.

It's not entirely the fault of new director Brett Ratner, who did a decent job pulling together a complex movie with a big cast in far less time than any director should have, although it's easy to see where corners were cut. The movie also lacks the general sense of style that Singer brought to the table, and the dark and serious nature of the story could have been greatly helped with a few lighter moments, which Ratner should

The Bottom Line:
Fans of the first two movies will probably want to see what happens with the characters they've grown to love, but with the exception of a few action-packed effects-laden set pieces, they're likely to be disappointed at this mediocre step back that doesn't live up to the expectations set by the previous movie.

THIS GUY MUST NOT LIKE XMEN VERY MUCH PLUS EVERY MOVIE HE CRITICS TURNS OUT JUST FINE...

"He was a pupil of mine,before he turned to evil..."

Old Post May 23rd, 2006 06:58 PM
Xam is currently offline Click here to Send Xam a Private Message Find more posts by Xam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scarecrow756
The Joker

I read that earlier, not a very good review. But I have heard everywhere else that X Men 3 is not that good. But I am not passong that judgement until I see the film on Saturday.

"STARTING TONIGHT PEOPLE WILL DIE.. I`M A MAN OF MY WORD"-
THE JOKER- THE DARK KNIGHT TEASER TRAILER

Old Post May 23rd, 2006 07:13 PM
Scarecrow756 is currently offline Click here to Send Scarecrow756 a Private Message Find more posts by Scarecrow756 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
H. S. 6
Approaching the End

I expected as much. erm

Damn... I wish Singer had never left...

Old Post May 23rd, 2006 11:14 PM
H. S. 6 is currently offline Click here to Send H. S. 6 a Private Message Find more posts by H. S. 6 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xNIXSONx
PSN: IAMTHECAVALRY

if X3 its worse than X1 and X2...thats pretty bad, considering X1 and 2 arent that great either...but rattner said there wont be alot of boring bits

Old Post May 24th, 2006 12:13 AM
xNIXSONx is currently offline Click here to Send xNIXSONx a Private Message Find more posts by xNIXSONx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Xam
Lord Xam

Iunno why but singer to me was never the right guy for x-men...iunno if u all feel the same way as me,i just feel like he left out too much stuff from the get go...he shoulda had gambit,beast,jubylie(or however u spell it),juggernaut,so on ,so on...it made the x-men franchise so un-well done lollll....i mean look at spider-man,it stayed true to the comic book,no changes...exept for the web out of his hand.....but that put aside its perfect,they shoulda stuck to the original look n original story n original everything n everything woulda been perfect...can u imagine if this x-men movie is the last???beast is only in 1 movie???like come on!!!!!!!!n cyclops was always the leader to me,it was never wolverine..anyways im out i have stuff to do,think about it

Old Post May 24th, 2006 12:14 AM
Xam is currently offline Click here to Send Xam a Private Message Find more posts by Xam Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mYsTiquE_DuDe

Enough of crappy comments.People can talk shit..just ignore it!
It's X-men and I trust that it's great!I don't care what people think..the tastes are different!

Old Post May 24th, 2006 12:24 AM
mYsTiquE_DuDe is currently offline Click here to Send mYsTiquE_DuDe a Private Message Find more posts by mYsTiquE_DuDe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Xam
Lord Xam

quote: (post)
Originally posted by mYsTiquE_DuDe
Enough of crappy comments.People can talk shit..just ignore it!
It's X-men and I trust that it's great!I don't care what people think..the tastes are different!

very true,i love xmen regardless,i just think it coulda been a bit better

Old Post May 24th, 2006 06:05 AM
RogueWitch
In Total Control

I saw it today, and I thought it was really good and cool. Brett Ratner directed it in a "Bryan Singer fashion". The only thing that wasn't as good was that it could have been longer. I bet a lot of scenes were cut out...

Old Post May 24th, 2006 08:07 PM
RogueWitch is currently offline Click here to Send RogueWitch a Private Message Find more posts by RogueWitch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
allofyousuckkk
Amazingly Awesome

u saw it today?

oh also, i wonder who the 2 de4ad people are gonna be...............

Old Post May 24th, 2006 08:35 PM
allofyousuckkk is currently offline Click here to Send allofyousuckkk a Private Message Find more posts by allofyousuckkk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheOnes2
I am The Ones

I saw it on sunday. It was a really good movie. I disagree with Comingsoon.net's review. If you want i'll post my own review

Old Post May 24th, 2006 08:52 PM
TheOnes2 is currently offline Click here to Send TheOnes2 a Private Message Find more posts by TheOnes2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
InnerRise
Restricted

Account Restricted

How are you all seeing the movie when it hasn't been released yet?

is it comprehensible.....

"I'll Stay Gold For U.H."

Old Post May 24th, 2006 09:01 PM
InnerRise is currently offline Click here to Send InnerRise a Private Message Find more posts by InnerRise Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheOnes2
I am The Ones

My mate got me 2 tickets to a press screening on Sunday.

Old Post May 24th, 2006 09:02 PM
TheOnes2 is currently offline Click here to Send TheOnes2 a Private Message Find more posts by TheOnes2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Xam
Lord Xam

Originally posted by TheOnes2
I saw it on sunday. It was a really good movie. I disagree with Comingsoon.net's review. If you want i'll post my own review

how long is the movie? smile

Old Post May 24th, 2006 10:19 PM
TheOnes2
I am The Ones

Around 106 minutes

Old Post May 25th, 2006 07:07 AM
RogueWitch
In Total Control

Originally posted by allofyousuckkk
u saw it today?

oh also, i wonder who the 2 de4ad people are gonna be...............

yeah I live in Sweden and it had premier the 24th of May, yesterday that is Happy Dance

Oh man abt the dead people you're gonna be like totally

Last edited by RogueWitch on May 25th, 2006 at 10:40 AM

Old Post May 25th, 2006 10:35 AM
RogueWitch is currently offline Click here to Send RogueWitch a Private Message Find more posts by RogueWitch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
InnerRise
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by RogueWitch
I saw it today, and I thought it was really good and cool. Brett Ratner directed it in a "Bryan Singer fashion". The only thing that wasn't as good was that it could have been longer. I bet a lot of scenes were cut out...

Nope Ratner has said that there aren't many Deleted Scenes.

is it comprehensible.....

"I'll Stay Gold For U.H."

Old Post May 28th, 2006 03:45 AM
InnerRise is currently offline Click here to Send InnerRise a Private Message Find more posts by InnerRise Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xNIXSONx

Originally posted by Xam
Iunno why but singer to me was never the right guy for x-men...iunno if u all feel the same way as me,i just feel like he left out too much stuff from the get go...he shoulda had gambit,beast,jubylie(or however u spell it),juggernaut,so on ,so on...it made the x-men franchise so un-well done lollll....i mean look at spider-man,it stayed true to the comic book,no changes...exept for the web out of his hand.....but that put aside its perfect,they shoulda stuck to the original look n original story n original everything n everything woulda been perfect...can u imagine if this x-men movie is the last???beast is only in 1 movie???like come on!!!!!!!!n cyclops was always the leader to me,it was never wolverine..anyways im out i have stuff to do,think about it

yeah! i totally agree, singer was NEVER the right guy, people are praising him now and can rattner, but singer was the one responsible for more of the change from the comics; the generic black leather costumes, casting of a 6ft tall wolverine, a 5ft cyclops, a pudgy rogue, flat character sabertooth and toad, naked mystique, NO gambit...lack of characters, and some more things untrue to the comics and fans. If Singer was doing X3, he'd have Beast be the one with the cat face...

(although the casting and etc i didnt mind, but i know a lot of people didnt like it when the X1 and 2 were being made)

Old Post May 28th, 2006 04:03 AM
xNIXSONx is currently offline Click here to Send xNIXSONx a Private Message Find more posts by xNIXSONx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mYsTiquE_DuDe

Totally agree Silverstain..however..he had to put them leather costumes cause..it would be a bit strange if storm would walk with gray robes and wolverine with yellow tights wink

Old Post May 31st, 2006 01:19 AM
mYsTiquE_DuDe is currently offline Click here to Send mYsTiquE_DuDe a Private Message Find more posts by mYsTiquE_DuDe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xNIXSONx

Originally posted by mYsTiquE_DuDe
Totally agree Silverstain..however..he had to put them leather costumes cause..it would be a bit strange if storm would walk with gray robes and wolverine with yellow tights wink

i was just naming all the essential things that fanboys would namewink but it would look a bit better if it resembled the Ultimate xmen suits

Old Post May 31st, 2006 01:54 AM
chucktaylor
Syndicate Scout

I agree with that review.

Old Post May 31st, 2006 01:58 AM
chucktaylor is currently offline Click here to Send chucktaylor a Private Message Find more posts by chucktaylor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote