KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » X-Men » Cyclops' eye blasts...

Cyclops' eye blasts...
Started by: Punkyhermy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Punkyhermy
like memory in motion

Question Cyclops' eye blasts...

So for my physics project where we have to find film clips which ignore or exaggerate physics laws I am thinking about including Cyclops' eye blasts. If his eye blasts are forceful enough to shatter buildings then the force exuding from his eyes should have some sort of effect on him in the form of pushing him backwards. Unless he has super neck muscles or something, he should be thrust back by the force.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Punkyhermy on Jun 5th, 2006 at 11:52 PM

Old Post Jun 5th, 2006 11:42 PM
Punkyhermy is currently offline Click here to Send Punkyhermy a Private Message Find more posts by Punkyhermy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix_Avatar9
Spark of Creation

that's a good thought! but in rubber science, stuff happens that doesn't normally happen in physics, even if the character is not a reality/physical law bending character. For example: when hulk lifts (a) heavy object/s above his head, he doesn't sink into the groud. But hey, don't just take my word for it, i'm just in 8th grade big grin

Old Post Jun 5th, 2006 11:47 PM
Phoenix_Avatar9 is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix_Avatar9 a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix_Avatar9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

I don't think is power is to shoot beams from his eyes per se, but to open tiny portals into an energy dimension over his eyes. For whatever reason the rifts in space follow his eyes around... it sounds kind of silly when you type it out.

And because of his head injury he can't turn it off.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2006 12:34 AM
Doctor-Alvis is currently offline Click here to Send Doctor-Alvis a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor-Alvis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Pict
Defender Of The Faith

the energy coming from his eyes comes from another dimension im sure and not actaully from his body ( im aware how lame this sounds right now) which might be why he isnt hurled backwards.

Hot sig by Scottie

Old Post Jun 6th, 2006 12:36 AM
The Pict is currently offline Click here to Send The Pict a Private Message Find more posts by The Pict Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Pict
Defender Of The Faith

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Swanky-Tuna
I don't think is power is to shoot beams from his eyes per se, but to open tiny portals into an energy dimension over his eyes. For whatever reason the rifts in space follow his eyes around... it sounds kind of silly when you type it out.

And because of his head injury he can't turn it off.

wow thats kinda freaky that i was typing pretty much the same thing as you at the same time. weird confused

Hot sig by Scottie

Old Post Jun 6th, 2006 12:37 AM
The Pict is currently offline Click here to Send The Pict a Private Message Find more posts by The Pict Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
fruits
Regenbogenfarben

just do one where someone flies

Old Post Jun 6th, 2006 12:53 AM
fruits is currently offline Click here to Send fruits a Private Message Find more posts by fruits Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
The Pict
Defender Of The Faith

Originally posted by fruits
just do one where someone flies

pardon??

Hot sig by Scottie

Old Post Jun 6th, 2006 12:54 AM
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

Or use Cap's shield. Its material is supposed to absorb kinetic energy and that's why he can stand there and take shots from Thor and Hulk from behind the shield. But he throws the thing and it bounces around like a pinball.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2006 01:07 AM
Doctor-Alvis is currently offline Click here to Send Doctor-Alvis a Private Message Find more posts by Doctor-Alvis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botcherby

the insides of his eyes are resistent to the very energy that cyclops releases, because of this he is not propelled backwards. His entire body is immune to this energy as well...

... not only this but cyclops is also immune to Havoks power, which is solar heated plasma.

although thus far this immunity seems to only be from their own powers... I have not seen cyclops being blasted with solar heated plasma by any other source.

actually to note... in the Xmen movies there was a "pull back" effect whenever cyclops released his blasts from his eyes... he had to twice pull his head back when closing his eyes... as if the force of the blast emanating from his did have some effect on him when he closed his eyes... first in Xmen 1 in the bus station, and in Xmen 3 by the lake.

Old Post Jun 6th, 2006 01:08 AM
botcherby is currently offline Click here to Send botcherby a Private Message Find more posts by botcherby Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Disappear

the "pull back" may very well just have been him tensing his head to aim, or for visual effect. imagine if he just stood there and shot the beams out; it would look much less cool just to get across a rather minor point.

the energy which is released through cyclops' eyes is referred to as "non-einsteinium," meaning from a dimension in which our physics do not necessarily apply. and, as the energy is rumored to be similar to photons, it simply slips out of his eyes uni-directionally at near-light speeds.

imagine, if you will, a gun firing. typically, if it were fired normally, there would be a kickback to the gun as the bullet escaped. however, cyclops' blasts are not likened to this. instead, imagine if the bullet simply came into existence, already being propelled, at the end of the barrel. the gun itself has, really, nothing to do with the release, and is essentially unaffected.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2006 06:24 AM
Disappear is currently offline Click here to Send Disappear a Private Message Find more posts by Disappear Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botcherby

you took that straight off the marvel directory word for word almost :P :P :P

Old Post Jun 8th, 2006 10:38 PM
botcherby is currently offline Click here to Send botcherby a Private Message Find more posts by botcherby Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Noa
Da Funky Chicken!

heh plagerism!

He is immune to his own power, I guess that is the only practical explaination. 0.o lol! If there is such a thing as a logical explanation of a fictional character.

Thanks IceJaw!

Old Post Jun 9th, 2006 12:54 AM
Noa is currently offline Click here to Send Noa a Private Message Find more posts by Noa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dyajeep

* actually, there is a slight kickback when Cyke fires a blast... look here, Cyke discharges a huge blast, and he was lietrally thrown back because of the force... wink

Attachment: cyke blasting onslaught.jpg
This has been downloaded 393 time(s).

Old Post Jun 9th, 2006 03:10 AM
dyajeep is currently offline Click here to Send dyajeep a Private Message Find more posts by dyajeep Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Paola
Ronin

punky's back...

by Scythe

Old Post Jun 9th, 2006 03:26 AM
Paola is currently offline Click here to Send Paola a Private Message Find more posts by Paola Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botcherby

Originally posted by peejayd
* actually, there is a slight kickback when Cyke fires a blast... look here, Cyke discharges a huge blast, and he was lietrally thrown back because of the force... wink

nah thats just comic sensationalism...

that hasn't happened again... just look at astonishing early issues...

Old Post Jun 10th, 2006 10:31 PM
RaidenDeadpool
"Nerd maker funner of-er"

Cyclops:Errr i shoot red stuff! When I get excited I shoot white stuff! LOL!

The above image is not of Cyrax doing the "Charleston". It is of Deadpool disguised as Cyrax and mocking him by doing the "Charleston". That's just what he does...

Old Post Jun 10th, 2006 10:46 PM
RaidenDeadpool is currently offline Click here to Send RaidenDeadpool a Private Message Find more posts by RaidenDeadpool Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xNIXSONx
PSN: IAMTHECAVALRY

Originally posted by Pyro Tyrannus
Cyclops:Errr i shoot red stuff! When I get excited I shoot white stuff! LOL!

laughing nice

Old Post Jun 11th, 2006 02:24 AM
xNIXSONx is currently offline Click here to Send xNIXSONx a Private Message Find more posts by xNIXSONx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheKingpin

Xmen fans are fans for the fact the comics were unique, and so are the movies dont ask 2 many questions just enjoy the films.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2006 09:40 AM
TheKingpin is currently offline Click here to Send TheKingpin a Private Message Find more posts by TheKingpin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Doctor-Alvis
Post-Crisis Balki

Originally posted by peejayd

Cyclops' unvisored shots have many interpretations. There's the popular one that's been going around where he just stands there and his blast washes over and destroys everything within a 45 degree angel in front of him.

Old Post Jun 11th, 2006 01:37 PM
Poor Girl
~ BAD MOOD GIRL ~

That's enough cool for me

Cloud & Tifa so Cute !!!

Old Post Jun 15th, 2006 02:50 PM
Poor Girl is currently offline Click here to Send Poor Girl a Private Message Find more posts by Poor Girl Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote