KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » X-Men » Psychic powers vs Psionic powers

Psychic powers vs Psionic powers
Started by: pokecomic

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
pokecomic

Psychic powers vs Psionic powers

So I'd like to discuss about these two terms. Sometimes they're portrayed as the same thing, sometimes psychic powers are just passive psionics, yet some people say that psychic powers are passive and active psionics since both are created by the mind, which means they're psychic powers. What's the difference for you?

Old Post Jun 12th, 2012 04:33 AM
pokecomic is currently offline Click here to Send pokecomic a Private Message Find more posts by pokecomic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

Never really saw them as being different. But now you bring it up. Tough two to break down.

-Psychic- Mental Manipultions in the Astral or Mental Plane. Or the ability to read and manipulate minds. Or travel/watch different timelines passively clearly or fragmented.

-Psionics- Trained psychic ability to do telepathy, telekinesis, pyrokinesis ect.

Very similar words. Hope that helps.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2012 01:21 PM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet..."

As far as I'm concerned, they're the same thing. "Psychic" is an old term, relating to ESP/TK, but also includes things like astral travel, ghosts, and just overall New Age mumbo jumbo. "Psionics" sounds modern and scientific, with the "-onics," like in electronics, but for me, doesn't really invoke images of ectoplasm, spirits, etc. I guess one could say it's more specific, as in just ESP and TK. But this is splitting hairs.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Last edited by Mindship on Jun 13th, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Old Post Jun 13th, 2012 11:39 AM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celestialbodies

This has always interested me as well, and while as the above post have mentioned they are very similar, in my writings I've intrepreted them as the following:

Psychic- Is a person with a particular psionic ability such as but not limited to Tp, Tk, Teleportation, Precognition, Clairvoyance, Empathy, Astral Projection, or Retrocognition.

Psionics or "Psionic Energy"- Is the energy that a "Psychic" uses to produce their particular ability, it exists in psychic hot spots around the planet and it has dual properties both passive such as Tp, and Precognition, and active as Tk, and Teleportation.

Again this is just how I chose to intrepret it my writings because both words are pretty cool.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2012 07:44 PM
celestialbodies is currently offline Click here to Send celestialbodies a Private Message Find more posts by celestialbodies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

From what I have read in fiction; be it comics, or role playing games, was that psionic powers were indeed powers that were controlled by the brain. The source could be a variety of things, i.e from that particular character themselves, or from an external source that the character could manipulate. If I were to compare Telepathy vs Psionics, I would say that if telepathy was a province, psionics would be the world in which it operates. The word psionics (not a real word but a fictional one) in and of itself encompasses a variety of abilities such as; telekenesis, pyrokenesis, telepathy (mind/physical control), hydrokenesis, elementalism... the list is very long.

Last edited by Stoic on Jun 16th, 2012 at 08:00 PM

Old Post Jun 16th, 2012 07:54 PM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
"Id"
The Man of Tomorrow

They seem more or less the same thing. Just different branding. Here are other examples.

You say telekinesis. I say Psychokinesis.

You say effecting the cosmos. I say effecting the universe.

And so on.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2012 08:06 PM
"Id" is currently offline Click here to Send "Id" a Private Message Find more posts by "Id" Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stoic
Avenger

quote: (post)
Originally posted by "Id"
They seem more or less the same thing. Just different branding. Here are other examples.

You say telekinesis. I say Psychokinesis.

You say effecting the cosmos. I say effecting the universe.

And so on.

Which is why I said that the word psionic, was vast. Everything that you have just stated, operates on the psionic plane. Which would also include technopathy.

Old Post Jun 16th, 2012 08:20 PM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Salthasha

Humbly, Thank you for allowing me to post.
Psychic in my mind set is psionic but not in a way that it affects anything physiological, in example seeing ghosts communicating with the dead being prophetic or reading auras on people or object, post and precognitive abilities i would characterize as psychic ability.

Psionic to me is purely mental abilities that affect the physical world, mind reading though psychic takes precedence in an actual physical mind therefore impacting the physical.
Psychokinetic the ability that through the mind accelerates subatomic molecules to create heat. Telepathic commune between two or more minds.Telekinetic the able to lift or manipulate object at range with the mind. then there can be in terms of super powers little tricks like creating through telepathy smells voices visions and yes even a sense of teleportaton. with the mind to bend gravity and time and space to move along its surface instantly from one spot to the next.
one coukld also theorize then if teleportation is a telepathic ability then perhaps one could at a sub atomic level reconfigure the composition and structural integrity of a cup ( so to speak) to reconfigure that same item from across the room in an instant by breaking down and rebuilding them instantly mentally. But this is just my thoughts... Thank you for reading and if you disagree be cordial with it please.

Old Post Jun 17th, 2012 04:12 PM
Salthasha is currently offline Click here to Send Salthasha a Private Message Find more posts by Salthasha Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote