KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » X-Men » Yuriko Spoiler Thread.... (X2)

Yuriko Spoiler Thread.... (X2)
Started by: ronfar

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
ronfar

Yuriko Spoiler Thread.... (X2)

spoiler below :

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Ok, I was a little irritated by the way they handled Yuriko (Lady Deathstrike). First of all, when you think about her character, in the movie only, she is very sad.

She's a slave of Striker (who hates mutants and wants to see them all dead). Throughout the movie she is brainwashed, we even see a scene where she gets a "booster shot" of mind control juice. Striker, in order to facilitate his escape, leaves her behind to fight Wolverine. Since Striker has already brainwashed Professor Xavier to kill all the mutants, he doesn't care about her survival and plans to leave without her. He may know that she is no match for Wolverine, but he wouldn't care as long as she can delay Wolverine.

So, Wolverine and Yuriko fight to the death, and Wolverine finally kills her with liquid adamantium. One less beautiful Japanese mutant in the world.

The thing that bothers me is that no one cares about her on any of the teams. To Striker, she's a filthy mutant who has been turned into a disposable weapon. He thinks no more of throwing her away than throwing away a rifle. Magneto's team seems to be mostly unaware of her except when Mystique imitates her to get into Strikers office. To Wolverine, she is just an obstacle to be dealt with in the most ruthless way possible. I doubt that he would be as ruthless with a fellow X-Man, even his rival Psyclops.

So, am I the only one bothered by this? I would still be bothered if she weren't a brainwashed slave (just like Psyclops was!), but the fact that she's been robbed of her free will makes that scene particularly annoying for me. I mean, I doubt very much that she'd be voluntarily work for Striker unless she was suicidal.

Imagine the conversation:

Striker: "Yes, Yuriko, you can help me kill all the filthy mutant scum,"
Yuriko: "But I'm a mutant."
Striker: "Yes, exactly."

end of spoiler text.

Old Post Jun 1st, 2003 04:03 PM
ronfar is currently offline Click here to Send ronfar a Private Message Find more posts by ronfar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

DON'T read this if you don't wanna know about X-3...

[SPOILER - highlight to read]: Kelly Hu, who plays Yuriko, has supposedly already signed onto X3 my sources say. Obviously, her healing powers go overdrive, and we will hopefully see a redeeming moment in the film for her

Old Post Jun 1st, 2003 05:57 PM
Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nightcrawler
Bamfette

Hopefully she won't be so murdurous and maybe join the x-men...im not so sure about her standings in the comics because i only ever read Uncanny and Excalibur and she didn't appear in either of those...

(i dunno how to make it a spoiler so i changed the font color so u still just have to highlight it)

Last edited by Nightcrawler on Jun 2nd, 2003 at 08:47 PM

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2003 08:44 PM
Nightcrawler is currently offline Click here to Send Nightcrawler a Private Message Find more posts by Nightcrawler Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Phoenix
Luna Lovegood

you make it a spoiler by putting [ spoiler ] (no spaces) This is a spoiler blahblahblah dumdidumdidum [ /spoiler ] (No spaces)

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2003 09:06 PM
Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Vicious

in wolverines defense, he didnt knew she was being brainwashed and wolverine can go berserk with about as anyone who gets in his way, especially Cylops

"A lie, Mr. Mulder, is most convincingly hidden between two truths." Deep Throat.

Old Post Jun 2nd, 2003 11:41 PM
Darth Vicious is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Vicious a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Vicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nightcrawler
Bamfette

ya thats true. i mean in the comics hes like ... psycho...lol

Old Post Jun 3rd, 2003 12:24 AM
Nightcrawler is currently offline Click here to Send Nightcrawler a Private Message Find more posts by Nightcrawler Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ronfar

I wasn't intending to be criticizing Wolverine as a "bad" guy. Obviously, Wolverine wasn't thinking deeply about the situation, so he did what he felt he had to.

I also understand that Wolverine has a tendency to go berserk (well, look what he did to Rogue in the first movie), I guess I just felt that it was a particularly gruesome way to off someone who I didn't see as a "bad guy" character.

Trust me, if someone offers me my choice of execution methods, that one is going to be way down on the list.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2003 01:04 AM
ronfar is currently offline Click here to Send ronfar a Private Message Find more posts by ronfar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mav
Can't think of one

C'mon, not to blaze on wolverine, but hey, berzerking is one of the cooler things about him.

made by verauko

Old Post Jun 6th, 2003 11:34 AM
Mav is currently offline Click here to Send Mav a Private Message Find more posts by Mav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mav
Can't think of one

Well, if you've seen Legend of Wolverine or read this story arc, you know that Yuriko was Wolverine's former lover, and she was attacking to get revenge for the fact he destroyed the maker of his admantium shell, which happened to be her father.

made by verauko

Old Post Jun 6th, 2003 11:38 AM
Mav is currently offline Click here to Send Mav a Private Message Find more posts by Mav Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kes
Philie

quote:
Originally posted by MaverickIce
Well, if you've seen Legend of Wolverine or read this story arc, you know that Yuriko was Wolverine's former lover, and she was attacking to get revenge for the fact he destroyed the maker of his admantium shell, which happened to be her father.

Really?! That's cool! More juice for the next movie or maybe a good angle fo the wolverine spin-off. cool

Old Post Jun 6th, 2003 02:13 PM
Kes is currently offline Click here to Send Kes a Private Message Find more posts by Kes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Marvelgeek
`Poccy fan extraordinere

Warning

Hello! I think the fact that she IS NOT A MUTANT matters! Sheīs a cyborg! She totaly transformed herself, gave up her body and humanity to get revenge on Wolvie and restore her honor. I dont understand why she was a mutant in x2, her powers come from cybernetic implants. She is not a female version of wolverine. By the way Stryker says he gave wolverine claws, but they are a part of his mutation (made out of bone originaly), read Wolverine: Origin.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2003 10:15 PM
Marvelgeek is currently offline Click here to Send Marvelgeek a Private Message Find more posts by Marvelgeek Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kes
Philie

Yeh they changed her character.
Weren't Wolverines claws inactive before the adimuntium (sp) thing?

Old Post Jul 12th, 2003 10:19 PM
Kes is currently offline Click here to Send Kes a Private Message Find more posts by Kes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Marvelgeek
`Poccy fan extraordinere

I donīt really know, they first manifested during origin. But after that I donīt know. The original weapon x adamantium bonding thing was the earliest time we have seen him exept for origin. There is a lot of time in there between.

By the way what does sp mean? confused

Old Post Jul 12th, 2003 11:38 PM
Marvelgeek is currently offline Click here to Send Marvelgeek a Private Message Find more posts by Marvelgeek Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kes
Philie

It means spelling.

Old Post Jul 12th, 2003 11:44 PM
X-Woman

In the movie, Deathstrike barely even talks in the movie so i think in x3 they're gonna uncover her mysterious self with some kind of explanation and story...I guess meanwhile we just gotta keep wondering till 3 YEARS LATER!! That angers me. mad

Cyclops LIVES!!!

Old Post Jul 13th, 2003 04:32 AM
X-Woman is currently offline Click here to Send X-Woman a Private Message Find more posts by X-Woman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
buffymitch
Colossus

The only thing Yuriko say in X2 is "what are you doing here" to mystique disguised as a janitor. I noticed that a lot of people are disappointed by the fact that they made Yuriko a mutant. If you pay close attention they made a whole lot of changes just to make it realistic and a lot more simple. I for one am not botherd by this. I n fact i am glad that they did it. To the thread starter i get you. I felt really sorry for yuriko when she died but it creates another story for her. If she comes back to life they can make her deal with her horrible past and that way they can develop the love story between her and logan. Yes i know in the comic it is different but in the legend of wolverine you see that both of their past is really complicated. So i geuss it will be better if they just simplify things a bit. If they use the exact same story lines from the comics it wil be boring. So they have to come with something new. I like that brian singer tells the story of X-MEN a bit different.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2003 05:29 PM
buffymitch is currently offline Click here to Send buffymitch a Private Message Find more posts by buffymitch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
X-Woman

Good point.

Cyclops LIVES!!!

Old Post Jul 14th, 2003 05:55 PM
X-Woman is currently offline Click here to Send X-Woman a Private Message Find more posts by X-Woman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kes
Philie

I liked it too. Didn't even know she really wasn't a mutant till I read it here. All the changes they made for the movie don't boder me except the fact that storm has brown eyes!They should be blue!

Old Post Jul 14th, 2003 05:56 PM
verauko
Dreamer of the Month

I think that too... Storm should have blue eyes!

Old Post Jul 14th, 2003 07:29 PM
verauko is currently offline Click here to Send verauko a Private Message Find more posts by verauko Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kes
Philie

Its way more exotic stick out tongue

Old Post Jul 14th, 2003 07:56 PM