KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » biology

biology
Started by: yerssot

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
yerssot

biology

In bio class we see the cells (of plants and animals)
and in cells there are stuff called in Dutch:
mitochondriën.
Wich is awfully close to midi-chlorians in my case (language)
They are usefull because they are responsable for 'celbreathing' and giving energy to the cell.....
sounds perfect almost...

Old Post Nov 7th, 2001 08:22 PM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Blimey, GL and Dutch, eh?

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Nov 7th, 2001 08:24 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

And of course you know that Vader means father in Dutch?
I knew from the start that Vader was someones father, I was doubting about Han or Luke...

But, how is the English term for mitochondriën?

Old Post Nov 7th, 2001 08:40 PM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

yeah., I knew the Vader thing

My biology is EXCEEDINGLY rust; Edan will know better. Chloroplasts?

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Nov 7th, 2001 08:43 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

nah, chloroplast is something different, don't ask me I had 5.5 on that one

Old Post Nov 7th, 2001 08:55 PM
LaurenE147
Restricted

Account Restricted

If the thing you're talking about is the energy maker of the cell, then the translation is mitochondrion. I think the guy that discovered cells was Dutch, so a lot of translations are similar.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2001 02:29 AM
Click here to Send LaurenE147 a Private Message Find more posts by LaurenE147 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jedi212guy
Sith Warrior

Does that mean that we have the force-potential in us? Now all we need is a Jedi Master to teach us how to use it...roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Nov 8th, 2001 03:54 AM
Click here to Send jedi212guy a Private Message Find more posts by jedi212guy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ToMacco
Mr. Orange

I have arrived.cool

4 8 15 16 23 42

Old Post Nov 8th, 2001 06:31 AM
Click here to Send ToMacco a Private Message Find more posts by ToMacco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

well, they are in every cell, like midi-chlorians....
But we don't know (or I don't know) if they have powers...

Old Post Nov 8th, 2001 03:59 PM
LaurenE147
Restricted

Account Restricted

As has been said before at this forum, the thing that makes Star Wars fans cooler than Star Trek fans is that Star Wars fans know it's not real.
But then again telekinesis is real.

The exact definition of a mitochondrion is: eukaryotic membrane-bound organelle in which food molecules are broken down to produce ATPs (energy molecules);contains highly folded inner membrane that produces enrgy-storing molecules.

Old Post Nov 8th, 2001 11:01 PM
Click here to Send LaurenE147 a Private Message Find more posts by LaurenE147 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ToMacco
Mr. Orange

And another reason Star Wars fans are cooler, is because I'M one of them! You're all cooler for being like me. Now let's go to the bar, yerssot's buyin'!cool

4 8 15 16 23 42

Old Post Nov 9th, 2001 02:44 AM
Click here to Send ToMacco a Private Message Find more posts by ToMacco Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tex
Yumsz

I'm surprised Yersott was even allowed to step foot in his Bio class, with his striking teachers and allstick out tongue

Old Post Nov 9th, 2001 03:55 PM
Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KJ
Sausages

Maybe there was no teacher. Yerssot was taking the class.smokin'

Old Post Nov 9th, 2001 06:48 PM
Click here to Send KJ a Private Message Find more posts by KJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

well, it gives energy; like the midi-chlorians

Old Post Nov 9th, 2001 10:47 PM
LaurenE147
Restricted

Account Restricted

It's interestin that you noticed the similarity between midi-chlorians and mitochindrions. The idea for midi-chlorians probably came from there. Midi-chlorians give you control over the force which is like an enrgy source and the motochondrions create enrgy. That sneaky George Lucas

Old Post Nov 10th, 2001 03:17 AM
yerssot

well, that makes me figure: what is also in a cell that can be used to support the Force?

Old Post Nov 10th, 2001 02:41 PM
Dim
Creativity

Okay, the other thing about mitochindrions that makes it "special" is that it has it's own DNA and that DNA is passed only through maternal lines. I also want to say that it's that that at one time the mitochindrions was an independent cell but through evolution it developed a symboitic relationship with other cells ...but I have to check my facts on that one.

Now, the thing with the DNA only being passed though maternal lines is interesting because it makes me wonder if GL would take it that far or if he decided to make some kind of weird twist like because Anakin only has a mother could he then pass on his midis to his kids where as normal men couldn't?..I don't know..it's a thought though.

Old Post Nov 10th, 2001 04:41 PM
Click here to Send Dim a Private Message Find more posts by Dim Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KJ
Sausages

It's a thought that's two complicated for me.sad

Old Post Nov 10th, 2001 05:30 PM
Click here to Send KJ a Private Message Find more posts by KJ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

That doesn't scan, Dim. You are not born with midi-chlorians that cause your Forcr potential. You are born with Force-potential that attracts the Midi-chlorians.

BtVS

Old Post Nov 10th, 2001 10:33 PM
yerssot

are you sure? I thought it was the other way around confused

well, about the own DNA: so the phrase; the Force is strong in my family is correct and again it connects to mitochondriën...

Old Post Nov 10th, 2001 10:42 PM