KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » Why didn't Lucas direct Empire Strikes back and Return of the Jedi?

Why didn't Lucas direct Empire Strikes back and Return of the Jedi?
Started by: lau_timmy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
lau_timmy

Why didn't Lucas direct Empire Strikes back and Return of the Jedi?

Why didn't George Lucas direct The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi?

Old Post Apr 26th, 2005 09:56 AM
Click here to Send lau_timmy a Private Message Find more posts by lau_timmy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tlbauerle
thestarwarsfan

Who knows...but its a pretty good question. I know for JEDI he practically did direct it. Since they are his films he is everywhere and always has an opinion so he figures he might as well do it all.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2005 10:08 AM
Click here to Send tlbauerle a Private Message Find more posts by tlbauerle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

He thought it was too much work, is the reason he normally gives; that he did a lot of work anyway is why he went back to doing it for the new films.

Mind you, that's a shame because it was always nice to have some other creative input.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Apr 26th, 2005 02:07 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jedi2187
tha l'il guy

He darned near had a heart attack from working on ANH, hence the reason why he had Kirshner and Marquand direct the last two. If you watch the bonus DVD, Lucas started to have chest pains 3/4 of the way through making ANH. He was diagnosed with exhaustion and hypertension, not to mention all the problems with ILM and the British crew. Once he got out of the director's chair, things were a little bit easier to control... until ROTJ. Marquand is a good character director, but is horrible with special effects, which is when GL stepped in again.
And the sad part during the making of ROTJ, he and his wife were divorcing.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2005 06:40 PM
Click here to Send jedi2187 a Private Message Find more posts by jedi2187 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkAge
Stronger than fear

I've heard that as a director Lucas has trouble working with actors.

"Be yourself. Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."

Old Post Apr 27th, 2005 06:05 AM
Click here to Send DarkAge a Private Message Find more posts by DarkAge Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

considering the crew gave him a hard time, being his first job AND the actors not believing in the movie, I can find myself in him having troubles with them yes wink

Old Post Apr 27th, 2005 04:51 PM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lau_timmy

I heard that he suffered from hyper-tension and exhaustion on the previous Star Wars film. So he wasn't too keen. Also he was finacing the film with his own money, and trying to set up a bigger scale production company, he couldn't do that plus be directing on the set everyday.

From what I've read he did a fair bit of directing on Return of the Jedi. Some people say Richard Marquand was fired and George took over. Other things I've read say he had to be on the set to help because Marquand didn't know anything about special effects. I've also heard he directed all the scenes between Luke, Vader, and the Emporer.

I think it's good that he did hire other directors and screenwriters. Lord of the Rings had the same writers and director, and it got rather dull and repetitive in a lot of places. By getting other people Lucas ensured that every film in the trilogy was different in pace and tone and would be a unique cinematic experience.

Old Post May 6th, 2005 06:53 AM
Click here to Send lau_timmy a Private Message Find more posts by lau_timmy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tpaquin
The Guy With the Gun

quote: (post)
Originally posted by yerssot
considering the crew gave him a hard time, being his first job AND the actors not believing in the movie, I can find myself in him having troubles with them yes wink

His first directorial job was THX-1138, then he (poorly) directed American Graffitti. Star Wars was his third professional film.

The big problem was that he didn't actually speak, and that he passed all his opinions on to the producers.

"George says after and more intense, guys..."

Old Post May 6th, 2005 02:51 PM
Click here to Send tpaquin a Private Message Find more posts by tpaquin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth_Glentract
The Truest Sith Lord

he had a heart attack

Old Post May 8th, 2005 03:42 AM
Click here to Send Darth_Glentract a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_Glentract Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jerico
Generic Badguy

He was probably perplexed that his actors coulden't sprout rockets and fly around a factory that was making robots to fight clones

Old Post May 8th, 2005 08:35 AM
Click here to Send Jerico a Private Message Find more posts by Jerico Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

Re: Why didn't Lucas direct Empire Strikes back and Return of the Jedi?

Originally posted by lau_timmy
Why didn't George Lucas direct The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi?

Because he's fat.

Sorry, all other avenues were explored except this one.

Old Post May 8th, 2005 05:11 PM
Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

Re: Re: Why didn't Lucas direct Empire Strikes back and Return of the Jedi?

Originally posted by Red Superfly
Because he's fat.

his necks make a cameo in Dexx wink

Old Post May 8th, 2005 05:46 PM
Click here to Send yerssot a Private Message Find more posts by yerssot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slay
Skyhighatrist

You know if it wasn't for Akira Kurosawa StarWars didn't even excist.

Old Post May 13th, 2005 02:45 PM
Click here to Send Slay a Private Message Find more posts by Slay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

so? everyone gets his/her influences from some place

without [insert name here] Kurosawa wouldn't have started filming etc.

Old Post May 13th, 2005 03:18 PM
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

Kurosawa was a major influence for Lucas no doubt. But the real credit belongs to Herbert's novel Dune and Joseph Campbell books on mythology.

Old Post May 13th, 2005 04:14 PM
Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
umraan
Restricted

Account Restricted

he didnt becuase he is a fat ass and thought it was too hard.

Old Post May 13th, 2005 04:32 PM
Click here to Send umraan a Private Message Find more posts by umraan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

dude, didn't he have a heart attack or something from the stress of directing ANH?

Old Post May 26th, 2005 09:04 AM
Click here to Send DeVi| D0do a Private Message Find more posts by DeVi| D0do Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
yerssot

yup, he had to take it easy from the doctor

Old Post May 26th, 2005 05:53 PM