KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » The Empire Strikes Back!

The Empire Strikes Back!
Started by: Gryn Jabar

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Gryn Jabar
Restricted

Account Restricted

Warning The Empire Strikes Back!

A dark day for revolutionaries everywhere, seeing the side of righteousness be stricken by a corrupt and indecent empire, no? Or was the fun of watching those self righteous pricks be struck down greater then the satisfaction of good winning again? BTW, why AT ATS, when tanks and arty would be more efficient?

Old Post Oct 27th, 2005 11:54 PM
Click here to Send Gryn Jabar a Private Message Find more posts by Gryn Jabar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tru_Slice
Pun not included

In..."The Guide" (I don't remember the name of the book, can you blame me?), it says the the AT-AT walkers were devestating as pshychological weapons.

I mean, imagine a giant...dear trying to smash you.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2005 12:38 AM
Click here to Send Tru_Slice a Private Message Find more posts by Tru_Slice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gryn Jabar
Restricted

Account Restricted

Be that as it may, giant walking robo's<shell shock and horrific shrapnel wounds.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2005 12:54 AM
Click here to Send Gryn Jabar a Private Message Find more posts by Gryn Jabar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bespin Bart
Buggy

Why AT-ATs? Because its Star Wars; who wants to use tanks in Star Wars? Rhetorical question...

Massive machines stomping towards you, towering high above the surface, is much scarier than a tank that you could pump a few shells of artillery into.

THIS IS WHAT WE'VE WAITED FOR
THIS IS IT, BOYS, THIS IS WAR!

Old Post Oct 28th, 2005 12:57 AM
Click here to Send Bespin Bart a Private Message Find more posts by Bespin Bart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spekdah
Restricted

Account Restricted

its funny but if I was a rebel I'd probably surrender on the off chance of getting a ride in one

Old Post Oct 29th, 2005 01:09 PM
Click here to Send spekdah a Private Message Find more posts by spekdah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
overlord
OD'd

If I would see those AT AT's coming towards me I'd wet my bed!

backwards, forwards, backwards, forwards

Old Post Oct 29th, 2005 02:07 PM
Click here to Send overlord a Private Message Find more posts by overlord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sesse
Jedi Ghost

Trade federation had tanks.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2005 02:22 PM
Click here to Send Sesse a Private Message Find more posts by Sesse Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Prince Nauj
Bebop

Im gonna build a AT TS

lo lo Bromios lo lo Dendrites lo lo Eleutherios lo lo Enorches...

Old Post Oct 29th, 2005 03:39 PM
Click here to Send Prince Nauj a Private Message Find more posts by Prince Nauj Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
reborn_213
Scruffy Nerf Herder

AT-AT's because they could carry alot of troops, it's right in the name, people. All Terrrain Armored Transport. Also their armor was too thick for any Rebel weapons to get through.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2005 08:41 PM
Click here to Send reborn_213 a Private Message Find more posts by reborn_213 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Sesse
Trade federation had tanks.
Just goes to show that GL's long line of imagination was starting to run thin.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2005 10:37 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Canadadude

At-Ats look better on the screen. If you just had tanks, they would not be as effective for viewers. Case in point the Trade Federation tanks looked stupid

Old Post Oct 31st, 2005 03:55 PM
Click here to Send Canadadude a Private Message Find more posts by Canadadude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Probably because the rebel base had an ion cannon that it was using that could hit even ships in orbit and perhaps some kind of umbrella-like planetary shield that would protect it from a direct ship bombardment and from flying craft beyond a certain altitude.

Also, Vader wanted the protagonists captured alive. Sending in ships is pretty messy, while sending in AT-ATs enabled them to overcome the shield, destroy the ion cannon, and storm the base, which the Imperials did.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2005 03:32 PM
Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Also, because I got off of the original question, artillery requires homing in and excessive payloads moved over distances. Tanks need to be able to go over the terrain and be armoed enough to withstand direct assault. At-ATs put out tons of firepower and are heavily armored, plus they take big strides.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2005 03:33 PM
Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sesse
Jedi Ghost

How about hoover tanks then? As the TF-tanks weer if i remember correctly.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2005 06:04 PM
Click here to Send Sesse a Private Message Find more posts by Sesse Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gryn Jabar
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think we've agreed that tanks don't have the same impact as a giant robot, and that's why Lucas did it.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2005 09:14 PM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Yeah, I mean, I'd be scared if I saw a Panzer IV comin towards me, sure.

But if I saw a f*ckin AT-AT headin my way, I'm boltin it out of the country.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2005 02:26 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gryn Jabar
Restricted

Account Restricted

... unless I had a decent targeting system (anything made after WW2 can probably take one out).

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2005 09:08 PM