KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » who's gonna buy the OOT ??

who's gonna buy the OOT ??
Started by: coolmovies

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
coolmovies

who's gonna buy the OOT ??

Ok so whos gonna buy the Orignale trilogy when it comes out on 11th Sep ???

Theres a big debate of who's gonna buy them on the originaltrilogy.com site becouse they are non anamorphic widscreen !

Old Post Aug 8th, 2006 01:28 PM
Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
overlord
OD'd

Only if there is a scene of towers collapsing.

backwards, forwards, backwards, forwards

Old Post Aug 9th, 2006 10:40 AM
Click here to Send overlord a Private Message Find more posts by overlord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Akira99
Servant of ESP

What has it got that previous OT didn't?
I only bought it a few months ago

Old Post Aug 10th, 2006 10:27 AM
Click here to Send Akira99 a Private Message Find more posts by Akira99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Akira99
What has it got that previous OT didn't?
I only bought it a few months ago

It has the original theatrical versions of the ot... which means han shoots first, no hayden in rotj, and no added stuff of any kind...

and yes, ill be buying it...

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Aug 10th, 2006 10:51 AM
Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

but they will be non anamorphic

Old Post Aug 10th, 2006 12:04 PM
Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Yep, non-anamorphic. Not just the fact the image quality is 1993 laserdisc.
From Wikipedia:

For many years, Lucas has stated that the original, unaltered versions of the trilogy would never be released again, having been released for the last time on VHS and Laserdisc in 1995. However, on May 3, 2006, Lucasfilm announced on the official Star Wars site that due to "overwhelming demand", the original versions would be released on DVD on September 12, 2006. Each film will be released as a two-disc set with the 2004 versions of the films on one disc, and the original, unaltered film on the second disc. The set would only be available until December 31, 2006, then withdrawn from the market. The DVD trailer can be downloaded here.

There has been great controversy surrounding this release, however, since it has been revealed that the DVDs will feature non-anamorphic versions of the original, unaltered films based on laserdisc releases from 1993 (as opposed to newly-remastered, film-based transfers). Since non-anamorphic transfers fail to make full use of the resolution available on widescreen sets, many fans were upset over this choice.

In response to fan outcry over the perceived mis-treament of the original cuts, Lucasfilm representatives stated that new, anamorphic transfers of the original cuts cannot be made because the original negatives of the theatrical cuts (from which the anamorphic transfers would typically be made) no longer exist. This created further anger when fans worldwide discovered that George Lucas himself had during the 1990s ordered that as many of the existing 35 millimeter copies of the film as could be found be destroyed.

In a May 2006 posting, the editor of The Digital Bits, a DVD enthusiast website, noted that one of the supposedly lost 35 millimeter copies is owned by Robert A. Harris, one of the world's renowned film archivists and the owner of Film Preserve, a highly lauded company specializing in the digital transfer and restoration of 35 millimeter film stock. Harris, who is a contributor to the site, submitted a letter stating that he is positive that anamorphic, high definition transfers of the films can be made along with a "master" presentation negative from which new 35 millimeter reels can be made. The letter (a copy of which was sent directly to Lucasfilm) has gone unanswered.

For me, I have moved on from the originals, and embrace the Special Editions & the DVD versions. I won't be buying.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Aug 11th, 2006 09:45 PM
Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Saboteur
Utinni!

The OOT fails. no expression It's just some cheap piece of nostalgia, 1997/2004 special editions are FTW.

Disclaimer: We do not condone mod bashing. And there will be no lol'ing from us unless there's a perfectly decent reason for it.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2006 10:56 PM
Click here to Send Lord Saboteur a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Saboteur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Well i'll be getting them as they're the versions i prefer... erm

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Aug 12th, 2006 12:24 AM
Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

I'll be getting them so I can create my own ultimate edition to rule all other editions! Mwahaha! cool

Old Post Aug 12th, 2006 03:49 AM
Click here to Send DeVi| D0do a Private Message Find more posts by DeVi| D0do Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

rough rider where is the DVD trailer ??? i wanna see it

Old Post Aug 13th, 2006 01:33 PM
hellsangels

i am going to be buying, i havent seen all of them from the original form.

i read some where there is a game release too.. i hope it meets the expectations of the Star Wars standard

Old Post Aug 16th, 2006 07:12 PM
Click here to Send hellsangels a Private Message Find more posts by hellsangels Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

yes there is a game

Old Post Aug 17th, 2006 12:34 PM
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

lucas will never recieve another dime from me for this insult to his fans.
his ego is out of control and this is just an example of what a child he's behaving like. bitter that his new 'original vision' of the OT was floptastic, now he has to be spiteful while profiting at the same time. boycott this release. dont allow him to profit for being an art vandal.

Last edited by PVS on Aug 17th, 2006 at 01:03 PM

Old Post Aug 17th, 2006 12:59 PM
Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

What's the big deal about it being non anamorphic? Is it really that big a difference in quality?

Old Post Aug 17th, 2006 01:17 PM
Click here to Send DeVi| D0do a Private Message Find more posts by DeVi| D0do Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by roughrider
Since non-anamorphic transfers fail to make full use of the resolution available on widescreen sets...

if i wasnt crap resolution ill just pop in my vhs tapes messed

thanks lucas, for taking something special to all of us and adding a sprinkle of suck to it.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2006 01:24 PM
Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

Theres a big difference in the quality of the OOT you get a letter box view of the movie not 16;9 widscreen like the SE sad

Old Post Aug 17th, 2006 02:35 PM
chinabing

The difference in quality is for all those early-adopters who have the big widescreen tvs and spent a ton of money for them. I can't believe they are so wound up about it.

I have a DVD copy of the OOT years ago when somebody copied the laser disks onto DVDs and sold them on Ebay before the listings were closed.

As I've never bought the SEs DVDs, (only rented them to see the bonus material), I will buy the OOT to see if there is any difference between my laser disk copy, this OOT, my widescreen "faces" VHS, etc. I don't know if I'll keep the SE DVDs which will come in the same package, I don't really like them.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2006 04:13 PM
Click here to Send chinabing a Private Message Find more posts by chinabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

what are u gonna do with your SW SE box set that came out in 2004 ?

Old Post Aug 17th, 2006 05:17 PM
hellsangels

im an early adopter.. am i missing something here... why would it be 'non anamorphic' and what would you need to do if it doesnt work?

Old Post Aug 19th, 2006 11:55 AM
Click here to Send hellsangels a Private Message Find more posts by hellsangels Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
What's the big deal about it being non anamorphic? Is it really that big a difference in quality?

The image will be compressed, because it's only letterboxed for a 4:3 standard TV; everything will have a squeezed look on a 16:9 widescreen TV. If you have the kind of 16:9 TV that can correct this - like my Samsung slimtube - it will look better. But it will only play at the lowest resolution. It won't play normally if you try to up the pixel level to HD standards - 720, 1080.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Aug 19th, 2006 11:23 PM
Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote