KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » C3-PO

C3-PO
Started by: Zareil

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Zareil

C3-PO

I believe beyond whatever anyone states about Jar Jar Binks, that the true disappointment of Episode one was the change in what C3PO represented. In each of the previous movies and even in a number of books, he has been a central focus that carried the movies. Whilst this was to be a start of a new trilogy and was to explain his origin, I believe that the film may have benefited from skipping from the ship fly by to the federation to Tattoine where we see his 'birth' I may be considered wrong but he has in the previous movies been a perpetual juxtaposing element or crux to the development of the movie. It could be said to be R2D2 who indeed did appear in the movie as a main character, but I feel that they could have retained their position as crux to the development on the saga if C3PO had joined earlier. He is not simply a narrator, or extra character. In the first movie, if it hadn't been for him R2D2 would never have joined Luke and then he wouldn't have received the message etc. However I would equally like to believe that Obi-wan and Anakin to be the second key element pairing to the saga as they are in all of the films. I still believe however that the Droids should be considered to be of greater importanc given that they remain in all of the films and much of the expanded universe. Sorry for my rant

Old Post Mar 13th, 2001 03:43 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mechmoggy
Northern Monkey

I see where your coming from...but you've got to admit it was funny to see his annoying ass mashed up at Bespin!

Old Post Mar 13th, 2001 07:32 PM
Click here to Send mechmoggy a Private Message Find more posts by mechmoggy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

C3-P0 WAS just a narrator, conceptually, though he isn't now. Remember the Kurasawa influence. His heroism is incidental; GL wouldn't want the role to interfere with that of the main characters.

Quite why his 'narrator' role has been removed now is a mystery, and certainly several of my friends believe he should have been the starting point for Episode I,at the moment of his creation. It appears he at R2 are there merely to provide some continuity; this is unnecessary, considering the rest of the line-up, so wuite what part they will play in the films is unknown. Unless GL can come up with a better reason to be there,they can only really waste time, nice as it is to see them.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 14th, 2001 01:51 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I always thought it was a mistake to bring them back in these episodes. GL has to come up with a really good reason for this if he wants to convince me why they have to be in the PT. Now it looks like another reason for merchandising. They serve no purpose, no function any other droid couldn't serve.

Just think of a rewritten version of that convo between Luke and OB1 in ROTJ (grandfather is bacteria, Vader is father, Leia is sister, R2 belonged to mother, 3PO was made by father). I mean, "it is your destiny" sounds fine but this is ridiculous.

Old Post Mar 14th, 2001 03:50 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

"... I mean, quite frankly, Luke, you should have known that C3-P0 was a lying @#%$. 'A person of some importance, I believe' indeed! Like he didn't know who Leia was.
"As for R2, he's been trying to tel you that he belonged to your father since you first met him. C3-P0 has just been translating badly..."

R2: Beepy-beepy-beep ("Luke! Luke! I was your father's! Listen to me!")

C3-P0: "Oh, it's nothing sir. Old data"

"Now then, Luke, and the end of this conversation I'm going to tell you exactly how I met your father, all about Qui-Gon, exactly who Beru and Lars were, and who was relatedto who, and what the Clone Wars were. But the camera is going to cut away as soon as I tell you to wacthj your feelings, so I may as well not bother..."

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Mar 14th, 2001 03:59 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

"Ben, you lying sack of $*!&. Did that creepy green monster know all this as well?????"

Old Post Mar 14th, 2001 04:03 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

'Several of my friends"... I knew it was you, you @#%$, I just didn't have the guts to say...

BtVS

Old Post Mar 17th, 2001 08:05 PM
Zareil

Well if you never have the guts you shall always fail.
'Do or do not there is no try' and for that matter there isn't any flailing around thinking about it either.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2001 04:09 AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote