KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » Language

Language
Started by: zhellblah

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
zhellblah

Language

This is something that always bothered me about all three of the OT. Why is it that, when Solo is talking to Jabba, Solo speaks in English, while Jabba speaks in... uhh... whatever he speaks in. However, they can both understand each other. Also, if they can understand each other, why don't they both speak in the same language? Is it because they both have inflated egos and don't think that they should lower themselves to the others' lanuguage? Please shed some light.

Old Post May 11th, 2008 06:00 PM
Click here to Send zhellblah a Private Message Find more posts by zhellblah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jovan
Forbidden Drag

Jabba speaks Huttese.
Don't overlook into it, I guess. They used the extra language to give it more "exotic" flavor... BTW, in my country it is very possible to speak in different language to each other and respond in others without a problem. So it is possible anyway.

Mr. Le Chiffre: No, I believe in a reasonable rate of return.
James Bond: Now the whole world will know you died while you were scratching my balls!

Old Post May 11th, 2008 06:24 PM
Click here to Send Jovan a Private Message Find more posts by Jovan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sesse
Jedi Ghost

If people are said to talk galactic Basic,
are the deaf ones talking Visual Basic?

confused

Old Post May 11th, 2008 06:41 PM
Click here to Send Sesse a Private Message Find more posts by Sesse Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jovan
Forbidden Drag

I thought those spoke like Jar Jar?

Mr. Le Chiffre: No, I believe in a reasonable rate of return.
James Bond: Now the whole world will know you died while you were scratching my balls!

Old Post May 11th, 2008 07:30 PM
Click here to Send Jovan a Private Message Find more posts by Jovan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

laughing out loud

Old Post May 11th, 2008 09:28 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rebel95

laughing

Old Post May 11th, 2008 11:38 PM
Click here to Send Rebel95 a Private Message Find more posts by Rebel95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
zhellblah

Still not the point. One theory is that the starwars galaxy had something similar to the Hitchiker's Guide Babbel fish, which is a parasite which translates foreign thoughts into thoughts its host can understand (I think Adams described it both better and funnier than i did, but whatever.)

Old Post May 11th, 2008 11:43 PM
Click here to Send zhellblah a Private Message Find more posts by zhellblah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Yeah, great theory for fiction. Why suddenly switch to another language when your own one is perfectly fine?

Old Post May 12th, 2008 01:21 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Moriarty
Restricted

Account Restricted

because they felt like it.

YER LATEFER TEA!!

Old Post May 12th, 2008 02:05 AM
Click here to Send Moriarty a Private Message Find more posts by Moriarty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

But with Jabba being a fatass slug, such broken tenants to the Lethargic Creed are unheard of.

Old Post May 12th, 2008 03:24 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stun
"Adios Satipo"

lazy would be putting it mildly

Old Post May 12th, 2008 05:57 AM
Click here to Send Stun a Private Message Find more posts by Stun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Tangible God
Yeah, great theory for fiction. Why suddenly switch to another language when your own one is perfectly fine?

It sounds more outlandish. It's fine to me.

Old Post May 12th, 2008 11:23 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Moriarty
Restricted

Account Restricted

so that they don't have to pay twice as much to the people in charge of subtitles, and so that the actors dont have to learn a nonsense language.

YER LATEFER TEA!!

Old Post May 12th, 2008 08:59 PM
Click here to Send Moriarty a Private Message Find more posts by Moriarty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Which they didn't anyway. Ever saw the original track on the Han-Greedo scene... Hilarious.

Old Post May 12th, 2008 09:16 PM
zhellblah

What's so hilarious about it? i've never seen it

Old Post May 13th, 2008 01:58 AM
REXXXX
Networking

Han shot first.

Anyways, there is no such thing as the babbel fish in Star Wars. They just prefer speaking their native tongue as opposed to dipping into the other's language. Jabba speaks Huttese and understands Basic, but that does not mean he speaks Basic very well.

Old Post May 13th, 2008 03:10 AM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sesse
Jedi Ghost

Just like chewbacca. Understands every word but is unable to produce more than some ear piercing howling.

R2 has the same problem.
****ed up his wordings even master Yoda has.

Old Post May 13th, 2008 03:32 AM
Click here to Send Sesse a Private Message Find more posts by Sesse Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Originally posted by zhellblah
What's so hilarious about it? i've never seen it

I meant with the temp voice by the actor playing Greedo. He has this really crude British accent.

Old Post May 13th, 2008 09:21 AM
Lek Kuen
Ti Lun

Originally posted by Sesse
Just like chewbacca. Understands every word but is unable to produce more than some ear piercing howling.

R2 has the same problem.
****ed up his wordings even master Yoda has.

well i think wokies don't have the vocal cords(and thing sthat go with them) to make the sounds
just like moneys cant unless they hold there noise

Props to Scythe for the sig

Old Post May 13th, 2008 03:36 PM
Click here to Send Lek Kuen a Private Message Find more posts by Lek Kuen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

You're calling Chewie a monkey? mad

Old Post May 13th, 2008 10:09 PM