KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » Restoring star wars

Restoring star wars
Started by: coolmovies

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
coolmovies

Restoring star wars

The godfather movies are the same age as SW. they have been restored greatly . Can the same be done for the star wars trilogy ? putting the OOT on BR or Dvd

what happend the the negitives?

Old Post Oct 6th, 2008 08:41 AM
Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sweersa

Re: Restoring star wars

quote: (post)
Originally posted by coolmovies
The godfather movies are the same age as SW. they have been restored greatly . Can the same be done for the star wars trilogy ? putting the OOT on BR or Dvd

what happend the the negitives?

Yes. I have seen stills and a clip of SW in 1080p. Looks amazing. I am not sure what the source was. But it works.

http://www.pauliesworld.org/swhighdef/

If the link doesn't work copy and paste it into your address bar.

The detail on Yoda is amazing.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2008 10:50 AM
Click here to Send sweersa a Private Message Find more posts by sweersa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mandrag Ganon
Seeker

Wow, that looks immaculate!

Old Post Oct 6th, 2008 05:28 PM
Click here to Send Mandrag Ganon a Private Message Find more posts by Mandrag Ganon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

They have been restored already. That's what the the Special Editions were all about, besides the new scenes & FX.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Oct 6th, 2008 06:15 PM
Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sweersa

Originally posted by THE JLRTENJAC
Wow, that looks immaculate!

I agree. I was pleasantly suprised.

You can download the two trilogies in 1080p on torrent sites. It will just take a few months depending on your internet connection. lol

Old Post Oct 6th, 2008 07:05 PM
Click here to Send sweersa a Private Message Find more posts by sweersa Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

it will take you years if you have no broadband

Old Post Oct 7th, 2008 01:52 PM
Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Re: Re: Restoring star wars

Originally posted by sweersa
Yes. I have seen stills and a clip of SW in 1080p. Looks amazing. I am not sure what the source was. But it works.

The image comparison is interesting, but I can't honestly say the 1080 image is better.
The picture looks brighter in an unnatural way. The blacks in the previous image look darker & more cinematic - better contrast. Extra details & sharpness? Don't see it.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2008 03:56 PM
Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sweersa

Re: Re: Re: Restoring star wars

Originally posted by roughrider
The image comparison is interesting, but I can't honestly say the 1080 image is better.
The picture looks brighter in an unnatural way. The blacks in the previous image look darker & more cinematic - better contrast. Extra details & sharpness? Don't see it.

Look at Yoda's ears, you can see the material they used for the puppet. Focus on eyes and especially Princess Leia's skin. You can see every skin pour in detail.

Click on the seperate images to get it actual size...then do the comparison...you should see a huge difference.

Originally posted by coolmovies
it will take you years if you have no broadband

lol I feel bad for dial up users.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2008 07:07 PM
queeq
Chaos

Re: Re: Restoring star wars

Originally posted by sweersa

You can see all the make up.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2008 08:40 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaeh
Possibly here.

Originally posted by roughrider

...ditto. I like the dvd ones better.

HIS force be with you.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2008 12:19 AM
Click here to Send Jaeh a Private Message Find more posts by Jaeh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

This is something I've noticed a lot, looking at demonstrations of HD & Blu-ray discs at the stores. The picture is quite sharp & clear, but it doesn't look film-like. It's so digitized it makes me think more of video games, looking at the colours.

I have an HDTV. But because I wasn't yet sold on Plasma or LCD, I went with another option called Slimtube. It's a regular CRT TV that got reduced in size by a third, but expanded out to 16:9 ratio. It actually has certain advatages over Plasma or LCD, in that it shows deeper blacks & natural contrast better than other HD technology, and still being a glass tube in a box, has justs one light source. You can watch it from any angle and the picture doesn't disappear. Only a few companies made them (Samsung, Sony, Panasonic), and no picture was bigger than 40 inches because the sets got extremely big & heavy. Anyway...
my HD picture with my HDMI DVD player still looks quite film-like. I'm still not willing yet to plunge into Blu-ray, while I have a choice.

I actually have never watched Episodes IV - VI on DVD. I had the laserdiscs on the Special Editions for years, and have managed to hold out. This new box set coming in November - maybe now I'll plunge.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2008 01:34 AM
truejedi

i think it looks pretty amazing myself.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2008 03:30 AM
Click here to Send truejedi a Private Message Find more posts by truejedi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sweersa

Originally posted by queeq
You can see all the make up.

I can imagine back in the 70's-80's they didn't really expect such high res video thus they didn't confiscate for that. But it still looks fine to me.

About the brightness and contrast some of you bring up, that is more than likely the TV not the Blu-Ray source. TVs have different contrast/brightness settings. Examples excluding custom settings would be "standard" "vivid" "movie" etc.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2008 10:57 AM
Col. Valerian
Republic Navy

Well, the special edition DVDs are pretty good.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2008 05:55 PM
Click here to Send Col. Valerian a Private Message Find more posts by Col. Valerian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Well...

Old Post Oct 8th, 2008 07:27 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sweersa

Originally posted by queeq
Well...

Most schools have special edition classes.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2008 08:40 PM
coolmovies

the make up was crap in those days just like arnie in termintor

Old Post Oct 9th, 2008 03:22 PM
queeq
Chaos

And yet, Terminator was great despite the make up.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2008 09:49 PM
Jedireaper
PSN ID > DarkJedireaper

Indeed. A worthy HD film, filmed in non HD, Dirty Harry in Blu-ray is amazing and its older than Star Wars... go figure...

A long time have I waited for this, my little green friend!

Old Post Oct 10th, 2008 02:40 PM
Click here to Send Jedireaper a Private Message Find more posts by Jedireaper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sweersa

With HD you can see even every pore. Thus my fantasies about the characters are ever more so realistic.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2008 07:03 PM