KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » Gary Kurtz Reflects On Star Wars

Gary Kurtz Reflects On Star Wars
Started by: Kazenji

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Gary Kurtz Reflects On Star Wars

producer of the first two Star Wars movies and a man who can almost lay claim to co-creating the franchise with George Lucas

http://www.screened.com/news/gary-k...-star-wars/676/

Woah Han Solo Killed off with the original ending to the trilogy.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2010 07:33 AM
Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Old news really, but yeah... Kurtz' direction of the series would have been more interesting.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2010 06:53 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

quote: (post)
Originally posted by queeq
Old news really, but yeah...

Well its new to me.

Old Post Aug 17th, 2010 07:47 AM
Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Gary Kurtz hasn't had much of a stellar career post TESB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Kurtz

Lot of post sour grapes. Lucas was the man spending years writing these stories in his back room; not Kurtz.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Aug 17th, 2010 09:33 PM
Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

knew that

Harrison ford wanted han solo killed off too

Old Post Aug 17th, 2010 11:35 PM
Click here to Send JediRobin23 a Private Message Find more posts by JediRobin23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by JediRobin23
knew that

Harrison ford wanted han solo killed off too

He also didn't want Rick Deckard in Blade Runner to be a replicant, which has been confirmed by Ridley Scott.

I've heard the behind the scenes stuff on ROTJ since 1983. I think it serves the vision of the films just fine that Han lives, loses his cynical lone wolf act and joins something for the greater good. The character goes on a journey, just like Luke & Leia do.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2010 01:52 AM
Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

No one ever wanted Deckard to be a replicant. Not the original author of the book, not the script writers. Only Scott had that idea based on his interpretation of a piece of voice over in an epilogue that was never shot or used. He kinda superimposed it over the entire movie.

I seem to remember that Ford's glowing eyes moment was accidental (he stepped in the light to make Sean Young's eyes glow). But then unicorn shot makes Deckard a replicant. And Scott got that from his film legend. It's an extremely thin line, it's the director's cut that makes Deckard a replicant, just that one shot of the unicorn. So sure, Ford never knew or played him as such. Which prolly was the whole point.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2010 07:17 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

Hold on. How is Deckard shown he is a replicant in the movie? I have the directors cut, and also watched the theoretical. The ending didn't make sense or seemed ambiguous

Old Post Aug 18th, 2010 11:39 PM
Click here to Send JediRobin23 a Private Message Find more posts by JediRobin23 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

It's very simple: he dreams of unicorns. That's impossible from experience because they don't exist. So he has a (prolly implanted) memory of a unicorn. At the end Gaff leaves one of his signature tin foil animals outside Deckard's apartment.... and the animal is: tadaaaa... a unicorn. Gaff must have seen Deckard's file and knows what memories he has. Well, that and the glowing eyes moment in the kitchen with Rachel.

1+1=2 - the Director's Cut (and Final Cut) makes Deckard into a replicant, just as Scott always wanted it.

Old Post Aug 19th, 2010 06:58 AM
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

Where/when does it show Deckard dreaming of unicorns?

Old Post Aug 20th, 2010 11:37 PM
queeq
Chaos

Ever since the 1991 Director's Cut. There's a shot of a unicorn when Deckard is sitting behind the piano, checking out the many foto's on it.

You said you watched... Certainly can't miss out on such an out of place shot. Unless you were sleeping.

Old Post Aug 21st, 2010 09:47 PM
JediRobin23
Somewhat Liberal

yeah, your right. I cant believe I missed that...

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2010 02:05 AM
queeq
Chaos

That's rather amazing because that is the most controversial shot ever since the 1991 Dirsctor's Cut came out. It is THE shot that makes Deckard a replicant.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2010 12:17 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by JediRobin23
Hold on. How is Deckard shown he is a replicant in the movie? I have the directors cut, and also watched the theoretical. The ending didn't make sense or seemed ambiguous

The studio poured cold water over things in 1982, forcing in that narration by Harrison Ford and the 'happy' ending, flying through the green scenery (why do people live in these cities with green spaces like this?), which actually were outtakes from The Shining! Scott wanted it to end more ambiguously.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2010 10:16 PM
queeq
Chaos

Correct. The interesting thing is that no regular on the movie was present during narration., Ford didn't want to do it and did it badly, hoping they wouldn't use it.... They did... hehehehe

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2010 08:46 PM