KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode IV, V & VI » Rumor: Original Star Wars Films Prepped for Blu-ray

Rumor: Original Star Wars Films Prepped for Blu-ray
Started by: coolmovies

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
coolmovies

Rumor: Original Star Wars Films Prepped for Blu-ray

Rumors about the original Star Wars films coming to Blu-ray have been around for years, but a new one that emerged last week is forcing even some traditional skeptics to speculate that before Episode VII arrives in theaters there is a good chance that Disney will somehow manage to bring peace to the galaxy.

The latest rumor comes from our friends over at Bleeding Cool, who have apparently intercepted an email from Disney's marketing department confirming that the studio is planning to re-release A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi in their original form on Blu-ray.

We do not know how credible this rumor is, but if Disney is indeed planning such releases, having them on the market before Episode VII opens in theaters across the U.S. would make perfect sense.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05...ayvod-and-more/

I hope this happens

Old Post May 20th, 2014 05:28 PM
Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Like, original original?

Old Post May 20th, 2014 07:23 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Not clear… they're talking about a version prior to the dvd release of 2004… I want a Blu Ray of the original trilogy prior to the SE's.

The irony is that I still have the VHS box of the OOT in a completely digitally remastered version with THX sound. That one was never released on DVD and as I recall it looked amazing… on VHS… of course. So I'll have that one, in full HD on blu ray please. wink

Old Post May 20th, 2014 08:11 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

We are talking about a remastered release of the unedited, non-special-edition original trilogy. NOT the 1997 version with the changes

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/colum...nts/051914_0010

Old Post May 20th, 2014 08:26 PM
Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

I'm okay with remastered. There are a few color and effect changes that need some touching up. No additions though.

Old Post May 21st, 2014 02:43 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

As long as they don't **** with the lightsabers in Jedi like they did, I'll buy it.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post May 21st, 2014 02:45 AM
Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

The remastering is fine and welcome as well. Remastering just means making use of modern technology for grading, match color (like they did in Jaws) and even (I sure am fine with that) removing the 'boxes' around the miniature space ships, removing the opaque matte lines in ESB and fixing the Emperor's 'slugs'. All in all, making it look like it was INTENDED at the time.

I sure look forward to seeing the OT on blu ray in its ORIGINAL COLOR TIMED look, which was revolutionary at the time for sci-fi (the pale, cool, documentary 'realistic'-like look). Lucas sure screwed that up with his saturated look. So hell, yeah, I'll buy it!

Old Post May 21st, 2014 08:28 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
coolmovies

quote: (post)
Originally posted by queeq
The remastering is fine and welcome as well. Remastering just means making use of modern technology for grading, match color (like they did in Jaws) and even (I sure am fine with that) removing the 'boxes' around the miniature space ships, removing the opaque matte lines in ESB and fixing the Emperor's 'slugs'. All in all, making it look like it was INTENDED at the time.

I sure look forward to seeing the OT on blu ray in its ORIGINAL COLOR TIMED look, which was revolutionary at the time for sci-fi (the pale, cool, documentary 'realistic'-like look). Lucas sure screwed that up with his saturated look. So hell, yeah, I'll buy it!

I hope they fix EMPIRE becouse its all blue from start to finish for example the bottom picture is the SE and the top is the original

https://plus.google.com/photos/+Dre...760950977079734

Last edited by coolmovies on May 22nd, 2014 at 08:41 AM

Old Post May 22nd, 2014 08:33 AM
queeq
Chaos

Yep, all the color timing was changed. It all became heavily saturated to match with the PT. But the original choice of color, saturation etc. was unique. I want to see THAT in blu ray. Not the übergraded stuff Lucas did to the OT.

Old Post May 22nd, 2014 10:02 AM
PTforthewin
Restricted

Account Restricted

How about they just restore everything to the original from the OT especially the Han shot first scene

"When will you fools learn, no one escapes from Commander Fox!"

Old Post May 25th, 2014 02:29 PM
Click here to Send PTforthewin a Private Message Find more posts by PTforthewin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

That is what we're talking about, dude.

Old Post May 25th, 2014 07:06 PM
PTforthewin
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by queeq
Yep, all the color timing was changed. It all became heavily saturated to match with the PT. But the original choice of color, saturation etc. was unique. I want to see THAT in blu ray. Not the übergraded stuff Lucas did to the OT.
I like some of the new stuff the only good cgi stuff in the OT was jabba

Old Post May 25th, 2014 08:39 PM
Click here to Send PTforthewin a Private Message Find more posts by PTforthewin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

That's only because it was an actual scene with the real actors. The CGI itself is horrible.

Old Post May 25th, 2014 10:16 PM
PTforthewin
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
That's only because it was an actual scene with the real actors. The CGI itself is horrible.
let's be serious, the PT had way better action scenes then the OT

Old Post May 26th, 2014 02:38 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Which type of action? And what manner of "better"?

There's fast-paced chase sequences, gunfights, dogfights, space battles, and saber duels.

The only thing the PT has going for any of them is CGI that allows for every frame to be stuffed to the brim with digital effects, a la:

The lack of CG gives the OT the reverse advantage of being less cluttered, less polished and sterile looking, and more gritty, dirty, and real feeling. The explosive bursts when the laser bolts hit walls in the OT look, sound, and feel real. The PT does not, among other effects and instances.

And once again, action scenes need to have a point to them, other than simply existing. If the characters who take place in them aren't likeable or relatable, and the villains aren't interesting and "hateable", then there's no reason to care about what happens or why. It's an action sequence for the sake of an action sequence.

Old Post May 26th, 2014 03:37 AM
PTforthewin
Restricted

Account Restricted

Which type of action? And what manner of "better"?

There's fast-paced chase sequences, gunfights, dogfights, space battles, and saber duels.

The only thing the PT has going for any of them is CGI that allows for every frame to be stuffed to the brim with digital effects, a la:

The lack of CG gives the OT the reverse advantage of being less cluttered, less polished and sterile looking, and more gritty, dirty, and real feeling. The explosive bursts when the laser bolts hit walls in the OT look, sound, and feel real. The PT does not, among other effects and instances.

And once again, action scenes need to have a point to them, other than simply existing. If the characters who take place in them aren't likeable or relatable, and the villains aren't interesting and "hateable", then there's no reason to care about what happens or why. It's an action sequence for the sake of an action sequence.
most of the action scenes do have a point to them in the PT trilogy for example, the 212th and obi wan where in the battle of utupau was to destroy grievous, the battle over coruscant had a meaning, to rescue the chancellor, the only "unimportant battles" in the movies where the battle on kashyyk and the battle on geonosis.

Old Post May 26th, 2014 05:03 AM
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

No, not a point "for the plot". A point for the audience.

I don't care about Grievous, the Clones, the war, the Republic, the Jedi etc. The movies never gave me a reason to like them, root for them, be interested in them, be emotionally invested in them, etc. So when all these elements take part in a battle or action scene, there's no tension, no excitement, no awe, no worry, no hope, no investment etc.

There's no point to it.

Old Post May 26th, 2014 05:26 AM
queeq
Chaos

Employment of animators?

Old Post May 26th, 2014 06:34 AM
PTforthewin
Restricted

Account Restricted

No, not a point "for the plot". A point for the audience.

I don't care about Grievous, the Clones, the war, the Republic, the Jedi etc. The movies never gave me a reason to like them, root for them, be interested in them, be emotionally invested in them, etc. So when all these elements take part in a battle or action scene, there's no tension, no excitement, no awe, no worry, no hope, no investment etc.

There's no point to it.
Wow, well I have excitement,worry, awe,tension when I see one of those battle scenes so I'm not sure if your just trolling.

Old Post May 26th, 2014 04:37 PM
queeq
Chaos

He's not. It's on par with the Michale Bay action in TF1-4: a lot, noisy, destructive… but what is it about?

Old Post May 26th, 2014 06:14 PM