KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Batman » A Question about bats

A Question about bats
Started by: Punkyhermy

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Punkyhermy
like memory in motion

Question A Question about bats

I am confused about batman./bruce's relationship with Dick and Timmy.Now the problem is, we know he obviously cares for them, that why he took the two under his care and is fatherly towards them.Well fatherly as in a bat-fatherly way if u know what i mean. BUt then again, he made them both dress in tights, jump off buildings, chasing demented people.You don't do that to people you care about.Batman does that himself but has expressed aknowledgement of the dangers of the job.It isn't fair for him to expose his "kids" to teh danger every night. He does so,does that mean he doesn't care for the two as much as the common belief that he does?

Old Post Jun 14th, 2004 02:38 PM
Punkyhermy is currently offline Click here to Send Punkyhermy a Private Message Find more posts by Punkyhermy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SpyCspider

Eh...You can think of it this way. Fathers often want their sons to grow up to be like them. It's obvious Bruce thinks he's got the skills and capabilities of training new "Batmans." Just like he was a disciple before, his masters probably wanted Bruce to become like them once he grew up. Oftentimes, if you're a hunter and you know it's dangerous, you would still want your kid to become like you. I bet Steve Irwin wants to train his kid to be future Crocodile Hunters. You're proud to mold someone that would follow your teachings. Companionship, the same goals and ideals, and trust are very powerful things and I'm sure Batman reflects on these things whenever he's training a new Robin or taking Batgirl out on a "hunt."

In addition, some times Batman is just letting his disciples strike their own path. Dick's parents were killed, Batgirl was a cop's daughter, Jason had a rage, and Tim WANTED to be Robin. In helping them, Bruce is just supporting their cause and channeling their energy to something worthwhile. Therefore, even though Bruce regrets it from time to time, having them fight alongside of him leaves no doubt in my mind that he loves them dearly.

Old Post Jun 15th, 2004 03:32 AM
SpyCspider is currently offline Click here to Send SpyCspider a Private Message Find more posts by SpyCspider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Punkyhermy
like memory in motion

But Batman isn't exactly proud of what he has become right?

Old Post Jun 15th, 2004 03:39 AM
Punkyhermy is currently offline Click here to Send Punkyhermy a Private Message Find more posts by Punkyhermy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gregory
International Sex Symbol

Re: A Question about bats

quote:
Originally posted by punkyhermy
I am confused about batman./bruce's relationship with Dick and Timmy.Now the problem is, we know he obviously cares for them, that why he took the two under his care and is fatherly towards them.Well fatherly as in a bat-fatherly way if u know what i mean. BUt then again, he made them both dress in tights, jump off buildings, chasing demented people.You don't do that to people you care about.Batman does that himself but has expressed aknowledgement of the dangers of the job.It isn't fair for him to expose his "kids" to teh danger every night. He does so,does that mean he doesn't care for the two as much as the common belief that he does?

To the best of my knowledge, the only team-member Batman ever recruited was Jason Todd: in Dark Victory, Batman only intends to help Dick Grayson avenge his parents--Dick is the one who wanted a lasting partnership; Tim Drake became Robin over Batman's objections; Barbera Gordon became Batgirl completely on her own initiative; Cassandra was recruited by Oracle, not Batman; Jean Paul was trained as Azrail by the Order of Sain Dumas; Huntress has nothing to do with Batman; Stephanie Brown became Spoiler to get back at her dad ... I might have missed some, but I think that pretty much covers the main ones. Batman may lead Gotham's superheroes, but he's not responsible for most of them.

Besides, I don't think he has much of a choice--he fired Dick from the post of Robin, and we know how that turned out.

quote:
But Batman isn't exactly proud of what he has become right?

He was reported as saying that he wasn't in the JLA story "Obsideon Age." But he also said he was proud of Nightwing, and Nightwing confessed in his miniseries that he felt privilaged to have been raised by Bruce, so evidently, he doesn't think there was anything wrong with the way Batman raised him.

Last edited by Gregory on Jun 15th, 2004 at 04:09 AM

Old Post Jun 15th, 2004 04:04 AM
Gregory is currently offline Click here to Send Gregory a Private Message Find more posts by Gregory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shaber
schizoid

ROTJ covered this; the Robins and Batgirl were perverse mantles because mentors are not supposed to simply recreate themselves. The Joker taunts Bruce Wayne by forcing Tim Drake into a miniature Joker template which brings up the question; is Batman then really comparable to the Joker?

The idea is even worse as Bruce is not proud of what he has become so forming a pack of stupid children into his image would necessitate their taking on the hurts he himself has sustained therefore it is necessary to damage them messed So the Joker made Robin resemble himself after his disfigurement...

Old Post Jun 20th, 2004 02:59 PM
shaber is currently offline Click here to Send shaber a Private Message Find more posts by shaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkCrawler
KABOOOOM!!

Only Batmanīs "Son" I can think is Dick. Isnīt he Bruce Waynes ward?

Old Post Jun 20th, 2004 03:07 PM
DarkCrawler is currently offline Click here to Send DarkCrawler a Private Message Find more posts by DarkCrawler Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Punkyhermy
like memory in motion

but didn't he take timmy in too?

Old Post Jun 20th, 2004 03:09 PM
DarkCrawler
KABOOOOM!!

Yeah, but isnīt Timmys father still alive?

Old Post Jun 20th, 2004 03:10 PM
DarkCrawler is currently offline Click here to Send DarkCrawler a Private Message Find more posts by DarkCrawler Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shaber
schizoid

Timmy's father was a small time hood murdered by Twoface yes

Old Post Jun 20th, 2004 03:28 PM
shaber is currently offline Click here to Send shaber a Private Message Find more posts by shaber Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gregory
International Sex Symbol

quote:
Originally posted by shaber
Timmy's father was a small time hood murdered by Twoface yes

Not in the comics; there, Timmy's father is alive; he did not take in Timmy in the same way he took in Dick.

Personally, I don't care. In real life, it would be irrisponsible to put a child in danger like that, but guess what Batman isn't.

Old Post Jun 20th, 2004 04:30 PM
Gregory is currently offline Click here to Send Gregory a Private Message Find more posts by Gregory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shaber
schizoid

I prefer my version yes

Old Post Jun 20th, 2004 08:18 PM