KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Batman » Why is Harvey Dent black in Batman?

Why is Harvey Dent black in Batman?
Started by: lordofwar

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
lordofwar

Why is Harvey Dent black in Batman?

Though I like Billy Dee Williams why did they make Harvey Dent black but white in Batman Forever?

Old Post Nov 29th, 2005 02:47 AM
lordofwar is currently offline Click here to Send lordofwar a Private Message Find more posts by lordofwar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xNIXSONx
PSN: IAMTHECAVALRY

they must have modernized the character...you know, new millenium, just like Ultimate Nick Fury is african american.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2005 02:54 AM
xNIXSONx is currently offline Click here to Send xNIXSONx a Private Message Find more posts by xNIXSONx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NoFate007

Because Burton made a mistake.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2005 03:08 AM
NoFate007 is currently offline Click here to Send NoFate007 a Private Message Find more posts by NoFate007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
tpaquin
The Guy With the Gun

Because Billy Dee Williams is the biggest pimp in the mother****ing galaxy.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2005 03:28 AM
tpaquin is currently offline Click here to Send tpaquin a Private Message Find more posts by tpaquin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Piedmon
Saiyajin Quaterback

Because Batman III had a n00b director who did bass ackwards shit like that....

And yes, I'm aware Dent isn't black in the comics... big deal, neither was Kingpin and Micheal Clark Duncan was still amongst the best men for the role in Hollywood (albeit he suffered under a terrible director like the rest of the Daredevil cast.)

Old Post Nov 29th, 2005 03:53 AM
Piedmon is currently offline Click here to Send Piedmon a Private Message Find more posts by Piedmon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
xNIXSONx
PSN: IAMTHECAVALRY

yeah burton schumacher such n00bs, but Nolan pwned big time.

In the animated series Harvey Dent/ Two-face was almost like the color of The Rock. I think he would be african american in BB2, one artist wanted Denzel Washinton to play harvey.

Attachment: bermejo_dent_2.jpg
This has been downloaded 222 time(s).

Old Post Nov 29th, 2005 03:57 AM
xNIXSONx is currently offline Click here to Send xNIXSONx a Private Message Find more posts by xNIXSONx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
WanderingDroid
THE LOOSE CANNON

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Piedmon

And yes, I'm aware Dent isn't black in the comics... big deal, neither was Kingpin and Micheal Clark Duncan was still amongst the best men for the role in Hollywood (albeit he suffered under a terrible director like the rest of the Daredevil cast.)

Daredevil was an atrocious film. WTF? Bullseye totally suck! And Kingpin was another waste of a character. And I do like Duncan but not in this movie.

Setting aside any racial or ethnice mumble jumble. Making a black Harvey Dent is just pointless. And besides, he didn't do anything in the film. The only good thing he did was read Batman's letter in the end and introduce the bat-signal. That was it! Waste of time, I tell ya.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2005 06:39 PM
WanderingDroid is currently offline Click here to Send WanderingDroid a Private Message Find more posts by WanderingDroid Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mainstream
lighting the way

technically Harvey on the Batman TAS was only half black and bluish.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2005 03:09 PM
Mainstream is currently offline Click here to Send Mainstream a Private Message Find more posts by Mainstream Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

Harvey Dent is a racially neutral character, not defined in personality as a black or white person. At the time, other people said "well, if they can do that, then Arnold Schwarzenegger should play Luke Cage - same thing." No - Luke Cage's character is defined as being a black man. Look carefully at lots of characters and ask yourself - does their race define their charcter and history? If Captain America was black, that could be hard to swallow. But, if Tony Stark was asian, would that be much of a stretch?

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Nov 30th, 2005 04:27 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NoFate007

I just think they should keep characters the way they were portrayed before. I'm not a racist or anything, however, I do think this whole politically correct thing is getting out of hand. For instance, take Bond films now. Now EVERY Bond film has to have a woman that's nearly 007's equal? Come on. Some changes I can deal with...like Nick Fury. That I think was an ok change. However if someone mentions how they want to make Catwoman black, or Scorpion a hispanic, or Gambit an asian or something...no. Kingpin turning into a black guy was a bit weird, and I'd have preferred if it had stayed the other way, but it wasn't that bad. But there's no way I think Iron Man as an asian would be good, or Lex Luthor as a black guy. It just doesn't fit.

Two-Face....well...let's put it this way. A black guy could play Harvey Dent well, but I think it would be more effective if he was white, because it seems as though there's an even bigger gap between Bruce and Harvey if they are of different ethnicities to start off with, and then become on opposite sides of the war. I think that if you have that one half of Harvey that doesn't resemble Bruce in some way, that makes the character more interesting.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2005 04:35 PM
NoFate007 is currently offline Click here to Send NoFate007 a Private Message Find more posts by NoFate007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Harvey Dent
Two-Face

If they made Lucious Fox white, I would be pissed. He is black and I want him to be black in the movie.

So I say keep the race of characters true to the comics, and Harvey Dent should stay white.

Coin lands on the bad head - we hit 'em hard."

Old Post Dec 1st, 2005 05:27 AM
Harvey Dent is currently offline Click here to Send Harvey Dent a Private Message Find more posts by Harvey Dent Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

For Daredevil, when they cast Michael Clarke Duncan, I went 'Hmmm..." but then I realized he is one of the best castings in a physical sense for the Kingpin ( as a kid, I thought of wrestler King Kong Bundy.) It's often a critcism that Hollywood is reluctant to cast black actors as villans, so them going with Duncan was a dare I applauded. Kingpin could be black; he came from being a street gang leader years ealier.
And back in the early 90's, I heard Morgan Freeman went hard after the role of Hannibal Lecter. Great actor, but audiences may not have suspended belief; seeing a black man get the preferential treatment in prison and a cult-like following.
So, I think it's a film-by-film basis, not just blanket that everyone must be the exact race they are in the comics.
Me, I wasn't that happy Rosario Dawson played Gail in Sin City, no matter how pale they made her look.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Dec 1st, 2005 04:37 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Parker

Well everybody loved williams as Lando from Empire strikes back so i think Burton probably thought people would not mind him as Harvery Dent.I did not mind him as Harvey Dent but they should have had him be black in forever as well.

Old Post Dec 30th, 2005 12:06 AM
Mr Parker is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Parker a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Parker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Mr Parker
Well everybody loved williams as Lando from Empire strikes back so i think Burton probably thought people would not mind him as Harvery Dent.I did not mind him as Harvey Dent but they should have had him be black in forever as well.

How should anyone mind him in that movie anyways? I mean didn't he just have a one liner and was gone?

Old Post Dec 30th, 2005 10:47 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kovacs86

AAAAAAAAHHHHHH... I remain loyal to the comics. burton's a gay @ss wa**er whose nevwer read a f**king comic in his god damnlife... that's why he cast a black dude! And I'd say Two Face is white, END OF STORY. I'm glad Billy Dee wasn't in Forever, it's the one good thing Joel did! LOL. I have nothing against Africans or asians or Indians or Europeans or South americans or whatever but they should stick to charcter's comic looks! Next some brainless arse hole's gonna suggest that samuel L Jackson should be Bruce (though he's be bad ass Nick Fury!) or that Selina Kyle should be played by Billy Dee... idiots

Thanks to Badwolf for the great sig!

Old Post Jan 24th, 2006 05:01 PM
Kovacs86 is currently offline Click here to Send Kovacs86 a Private Message Find more posts by Kovacs86 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
justmeself

I alwayz wonder bout that two-face thing... but hey, end of the day it dont matter....

on king-pin, I take it no-one is taking into account his ethnic background...? hes jamaican... or at least, part jamaican, so a black guy for it is fine.. and duncan was prob the best thing about the daredevil movie in fairness.

Old Post Jul 26th, 2009 02:37 PM
justmeself is currently offline Click here to Send justmeself a Private Message Find more posts by justmeself Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chomperx9
Restricted

Account Restricted

why is kingpin black in daredevil ?

Old Post Jul 26th, 2009 08:16 PM
chomperx9 is currently offline Click here to Send chomperx9 a Private Message Find more posts by chomperx9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SamZED

Originally posted by WhoopeeDee
Daredevil was an atrocious film. WTF? Bullseye totally suck! And Kingpin was another waste of a character. And I do like Duncan but not in this movie.

Setting aside any racial or ethnice mumble jumble. Making a black Harvey Dent is just pointless. And besides, he didn't do anything in the film. The only good thing he did was read Batman's letter in the end and introduce the bat-signal. That was it! Waste of time, I tell ya.

Bullseye was the only good thing about that movie.no expression

Azula: My mommy didn't love me so I'm going to burn down your village.

Old Post Jul 27th, 2009 08:54 AM
SamZED is currently offline Click here to Send SamZED a Private Message Find more posts by SamZED Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wei Phoenix
One-Eyed Dragon Of Oshu

Originally posted by chomperx9
why is kingpin black in daredevil ?

Because no muscular white man could fit that role.

You Wa Shock!

Old Post Jul 27th, 2009 08:56 AM
Wei Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Wei Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Wei Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by SamZED
Bullseye was the only good thing about that movie.no expression

not really

Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
Because no muscular white man could fit that role.

agreed

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jul 27th, 2009 09:15 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote