KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Batman » Will The Dark Knight beat Titanic's box office?

Will The Dark Knight break Titanic's record?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
It will take just the North American title 12 30.00%
It will take the Worldwide title 5 12.50%
It will take both, and be the biggest film ever! 10 25.00%
It won't take either title; Titanic can't be passed 13 32.50%
Total: 40 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Will The Dark Knight beat Titanic's box office?
Started by: roughrider

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
roughrider
Thunderer

Will The Dark Knight beat Titanic's box office?

Damn, this film is rampaging like the tumbler on the Gotham highway! After just 10 days, it's passed both Iron Man & Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull. It's fueled by superb reviews, great word of mouth, and the spectacle of Heath Ledger's last great performance as the BEST-JOKER-EVER.

The big question is: can it catch Titanic?

Titanic did $600 million in North America, $1.2 billion worldwide. LOTR: The Return Of The King is curently second at $1.1 billion worldwide. So someone has gotten close in terms of modern dollars.

Could it be just the North American tally, or the worldwide tally, or both?

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Last edited by roughrider on Jul 27th, 2008 at 06:02 PM

Old Post Jul 27th, 2008 05:58 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dyno
Authority

sadly I don't think it will beat Titanic, Titanic was in cinemas for about 3 months or so, sad

Old Post Jul 27th, 2008 06:08 PM
Dyno is currently offline Click here to Send Dyno a Private Message Find more posts by Dyno Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Squirrel Fart

Hell no....

Old Post Jul 27th, 2008 06:34 PM
Squirrel Fart is currently offline Click here to Send Squirrel Fart a Private Message Find more posts by Squirrel Fart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

At the rate The Dark Knight is going it could quite possibly beat Titanic. After ten days it has $314.2 million domestically. Next week it pass Spiderman which made $403 million domestically. As soon as The Dark Knight starts making a ton of money overseas watch out...

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jul 27th, 2008 08:21 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General_Iroh
White Guy

Honestly I don't want it in theaters all that long, I'll be compelled to go see it again, spending bundles of money to see it once.

Old Post Jul 27th, 2008 09:52 PM
General_Iroh is currently offline Click here to Send General_Iroh a Private Message Find more posts by General_Iroh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Menetnashté
Honestly I don't want it in theaters all that long, I'll be compelled to go see it again, spending bundles of money to see it once.

blink confused

Old Post Jul 27th, 2008 10:13 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Harvey Two-Face
Restricted

Account Restricted

It probably will. Afterall, it made $355 million worldwide in only a little over a week. Imagine where it'll be by the end of this week, let alone a few months from now....

You guys need to start taking things a little more seriously.

Old Post Jul 27th, 2008 10:25 PM
Harvey Two-Face is currently offline Click here to Send Harvey Two-Face a Private Message Find more posts by Harvey Two-Face Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quincy
Debaser

Yeah, that would suck to have to sit through it again.

huh

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Jul 28th, 2008 01:15 AM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Micheal_Myers
KMC's resident thrasher!

Originally posted by Quincy

huh

I've seen it three times. Its no sit through...its still thoroughly entertaining. I guess it takes a different kind of person.

Old Post Jul 28th, 2008 01:54 AM
Micheal_Myers is currently offline Click here to Send Micheal_Myers a Private Message Find more posts by Micheal_Myers Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Harvey Two-Face
Restricted

Account Restricted

TDK was so entertaining I may see it one or two more times before it's out of theaters. It's like crack.

Old Post Jul 28th, 2008 02:29 AM
Harvey Two-Face is currently offline Click here to Send Harvey Two-Face a Private Message Find more posts by Harvey Two-Face Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

It's a great film, but quite an emotional wringer. You feel amazed yet worn out by the end. If others have that feeling, we'll see how that affects repeat business. So far, no.
Over $300 million in just ten days. If it only does $100 million in the next ten, I think it's on its way to breaking the North American record.

Old Post Jul 28th, 2008 02:58 AM
Harvey Two-Face
Restricted

Account Restricted

I loved the movie a lot, every performance was top notch and it really got my creative juices running, no lie. I'm not obsessed with the movie, but it gave me an idea...I worked on it for what...a week, and I've already written out how I want every single detail to be as it's a mini series somewhat inspired by Harvey Dent of the film.

As I said, this isn't just a movie, it's a phenomenon. It could very well be the exact force holding the Earth together.

Old Post Jul 28th, 2008 03:04 AM
Röland
Masked Vigilante

Originally posted by ScarletSpeed
sadly I don't think it will beat Titanic, Titanic was in cinemas for about 3 months or so, sad

Titanic was in US movie theaters for 9 months. From Dec. 19, 1997 to Sept. 25, 1998.

I don't see TDK being in theaters that long.

Rorschach's Journal: October 12th, 1985. Tonight, a comedian died in New York.

Old Post Jul 28th, 2008 04:10 AM
Röland is currently offline Click here to Send Röland a Private Message Find more posts by Röland Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
General_Iroh
White Guy

Originally posted by Quincy

huh

Obviously you missed that last tid bit, which completes the sentence. Sometimes you have to read the whole sentence, even if the words are hard to understand.

Old Post Jul 28th, 2008 04:12 AM
General_Iroh is currently offline Click here to Send General_Iroh a Private Message Find more posts by General_Iroh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Harvey Two-Face
Restricted

Account Restricted

That's exactly what I've been telling people!

And I doubt TDK will have to be in theaters for nine months. Look at all of the records it's broken. It already has about half of Titanic's domestic gross & it did so in a little over a week. Imagine what'll happen in the next few weeks.

Old Post Jul 28th, 2008 04:14 AM
Air Legend
Moderat0r

**** no. And oversees Ledger's death means nowhere near as much as it does here in the US.

Michael Demiurgos Respect Thread

Old Post Jul 28th, 2008 04:19 AM
Air Legend is currently offline Click here to Send Air Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Air Legend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quincy
Debaser

Obviously you missed that last tid bit, which completes the sentence. Sometimes you have to read the whole sentence, even if the words are hard to understand.

Oh jeez I'm sorry I reacted to your post with sarcasm. That totally requires you to insult my intelligience bro. It's cool.

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Jul 28th, 2008 04:33 AM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Harvey Two-Face
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Air Legend
**** no. And oversees Ledger's death means nowhere near as much as it does here in the US.

You spelled overseas wrong. And it more than likely means a lot in Austrailia. Even so, if it doesn't mean as much, people will still go see the film.

Old Post Jul 28th, 2008 04:36 AM
roughrider
Thunderer

Yes, Titanic ran for months and months. But how much did it gross week by week? It opened around $25 million. The thing was, it kept staying at that $20-25 million range for a few months. It didn't set the record in a dash; it did it gradually, crossing the line in an easy stride. It made hay by being the only thing to see in the traditionally slow period of January to March.
The Dark Knight has the advantage of coming out in late summer; it can continue to dominate through August & September. The Heath Ledger factor has moviegoers in a frenzy - not unlike how Titanic captivated people with the story of Leo DiCaprio & Kate Winslet.

Old Post Jul 28th, 2008 07:11 AM
Aurora
Princess

Personally I have saw it twice and we will probally go at least once more. I see many many fans doing the same thing. I think it will pass Titanic at least in the US.

Old Post Jul 28th, 2008 10:37 AM
Aurora is currently offline Click here to Send Aurora a Private Message Find more posts by Aurora Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote