KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Batman » batman psychology and philosophy...

batman psychology and philosophy...
Started by: atharpina

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
atharpina

batman psychology and philosophy...

ok ive always wanted to talk about this with people... but none of my friends are familiar enough with batman..

over the years writers for batman have established each character with some sort of symbolism ya know? there are many characters that are made to represent whole ideas and philosophies.. and all of the villians seem to somehow mirror batman or become the opposite of him. like batman = order and the joker = chaos.. thats an obvious one..

what do you think your favorite characters stand for and why does their symbolism make you love them sooo much?

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2008 02:25 AM
atharpina is currently offline Click here to Send atharpina a Private Message Find more posts by atharpina Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mairuzu
Old School Cool

Riddler = ...idk???

GET IT!?

GET IT!????

TGFwashere

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2008 03:18 AM
Mairuzu is currently offline Click here to Send Mairuzu a Private Message Find more posts by Mairuzu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

The History Channel had a Psychology of Batman special and as a psych major myself, I was always attracted to the villains with mental disorders, namely Two-Face, the Joker, and the Riddler. I think a huge theme in the Batman world concerns what makes someone a monster and how a monster is made. The Riddler is so fascinating to me because he craves attention and praise for how smart he is, leading me to believe something in his life prevented him from getting a lot of love and affection. The mind is so fragile and Batman really is a stark contrast to the villains because he's probably faced the greatest tragedy of all and is the only one to make something good out of it.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2008 01:51 PM
willofthewisp is currently offline Click here to Send willofthewisp a Private Message Find more posts by willofthewisp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Traction

I think the Scarecrow stands for fear. [No duh].

I think the main reason I like the Scarecrow however is because I can relate to the whole "fear premise". I suffered through my childhood due to school bullies and they all, pretty much, literully live around my home/block. I'm still ****ing scared to be out on the streets alone.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2008 03:01 PM
Traction is currently offline Click here to Send Traction a Private Message Find more posts by Traction Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
willofthewisp
Savvy did my sig

Poison Ivy could stand for fanaticism, when passion goes wrong.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2008 06:55 PM
willofthewisp is currently offline Click here to Send willofthewisp a Private Message Find more posts by willofthewisp Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Joker = Chaos
Two Face = thin line between good and bad
Scarecrow = Fear
Poison Ivy = Fanaticism
Mr. Freeze = Evil through love
Bane = Determination
Catwoman = similar to Two Face but on a much smaller scale, more leaning to good

You mean something like that?

Old Post Aug 14th, 2008 05:19 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote