KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Batman » TDK, a year later.

TDK, a year later.
Started by: One Free Man

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Moriarty
Restricted

Account Restricted

TDK, a year later.

I liked it as much as the next rabid feral heath-ledger-joker fanboy, but the more i see it the more it seems to be an irritating barrage of dramatic climaxes dependent on one strong character's acting which seems to almost carry everyone else.

A year later and now it seems kind of redundant and the film literally seems to go on forever with no basic plot-line.

Watching batman begins, however, almost 4 years later (and over ten re watches easily), and I find myself once again mesmerized.

Watching the dark knight again I feel that its success can only be attributed to its famously well done acting by Ledger (mark Hamill was better though), which was magnified by his death. I will go back to my padded room quietly if you all don't agree, but how do you feel about tdk today? Do you like it as much as when you first saw it with all the hype?

YER LATEFER TEA!!

Old Post Oct 25th, 2009 08:39 AM
Moriarty is currently offline Click here to Send Moriarty a Private Message Find more posts by Moriarty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

quote: (post)
Originally posted by One Free Man
I liked it as much as the next rabid feral heath-ledger-joker fanboy, but the more i see it the more it seems to be an irritating barrage of dramatic climaxes dependent on one strong character's acting which seems to almost carry everyone else.

A year later and now it seems kind of redundant and the film literally seems to go on forever with no basic plot-line.

Watching batman begins, however, almost 4 years later (and over ten re watches easily), and I find myself once again mesmerized.

I guess it depends on how you define a basic plotline. I found myself watching TDK around as many times as I did Batman Begins, if not more (have 'em both on Blu-Ray).

Watching the dark knight again I feel that its success can only be attributed to its famously well done acting by Ledger (mark Hamill was better though), which was magnified by his death.

A matter of opinion obviously, though Hamill himself basically admitted Ledger did a better job as the Joker than he ever could. *shrug* I like to think of him more as Luke.

Also, I like how those who loathed The Dark Knight's success (almost outselling Titanic) claimed Ledger's death to be the only factor that led to it, saying it would've been nothing special (or would've sucked) otherwise, despite all the tremendous hype that was built up before Heath died. Fact is, everyone was expecting a great movie even before his death because of how well Begins was made, and it delivered more than well IMO. Only a small fraction of TDK's success can even be attributed to his death, as far as I'm concerned.

Overall, TDK was one of the only movies/things of today for me that actually lived up to its hype, and that's pretty damn rare... Don't feel the need to go back to your padded room because of me though. stick out tongue

Last edited by Ridley_Prime on Oct 25th, 2009 at 09:25 AM

Old Post Oct 25th, 2009 09:22 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

First of all, movies are almost always more exciting when they are new to you and surrounded by a bunch of hype where you can discuss it with others.

As for my opinion, I've re-watched TDK many times over the past year and I still love it. Sure, Ledger is still my favorite part, but I still enjoy the plot and the turn of Harvey and such. So to me, I still think it was worthy of all the hype it got.

Greg Oden: The future of the Blazers. The future of the NBA.

Old Post Oct 26th, 2009 03:57 AM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
starlock
Team Authority

I disliked TDK right from the start, bad movie i.m.o,and i believe Begins is a way better movie all around...a year later and TDK is so boring and uninteresting i refuse to waste my time watching it....from Bales horrible acting to heaths failure to capture the true joker..the only thing i liked was Dent and how they handled his character

http://www.thedeadlyaddictionschronicles.com/

Old Post Oct 26th, 2009 12:05 PM
starlock is currently offline Click here to Send starlock a Private Message Find more posts by starlock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

A year later it's still a really good film.

One of the best of the decade.

Rachel, Gordon, Joker and Harvey are all performed fantastically and have great storylines.

Bulbasaur, the original... Pepe.

Last edited by Raz on Jan 1st 2000 at 00:00AM

Old Post Oct 26th, 2009 04:50 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

movie sucked then and it sucks now imo no

Old Post Oct 26th, 2009 05:23 PM
AthenasTrgrFngr is currently offline Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

I enjoyed watching The Dark Knight in the theater 10 times and I continue to enjoy watching every time it comes on hbo, cinemax, starz etc... TDK is simply one of the best films ever made

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Oct 26th, 2009 06:58 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Moriarty
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
[B]
A matter of opinion obviously, though Hamill himself basically admitted Ledger did a better job as the Joker than he ever could.
just because hamill said it doesn't make it so. he was being modest.

YER LATEFER TEA!!

Old Post Oct 26th, 2009 08:04 PM
Moriarty is currently offline Click here to Send Moriarty a Private Message Find more posts by Moriarty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

just because hamill said it doesn't make it so. he was being modest.

Yeah, though I wasn't necessarily trying to imply that what Mark said made it so (sorry if it looked that way), but it just goes to show..

Old Post Oct 26th, 2009 09:02 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Micheal_Myers
KMC's resident thrasher!

The Dark Knight is probably my favorite film ever. I dont watch it repeatedly. Any film will eventually grow dull over time if you repeatedly watch it over and over.

I really dont see how anyone can say the film didn't capture the true Joker. Perhaps not the true Joker's look, but his personality was pretty dead on.

As for Mark Hamill. He has the best Joker voice of all time. But he never portrayed the joker on screen. It cant really be compared until you give Mark the make up and the hair dye and put him on camera.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2009 04:50 AM
Micheal_Myers is currently offline Click here to Send Micheal_Myers a Private Message Find more posts by Micheal_Myers Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by starlock
acting to heaths failure to capture the true joker

I would'nt say he failed to do that he did capture the joker but only one side of him his dark and Sadistic side......................and i'm not saying this just because Ledger died.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2009 08:20 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

I see Ledger doing the dark side brilliantly, Nicholson did the comical/insane side brilliantly, and Hamill did the voice the best.

So maybe join those three together, and you have THE joker.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2009 02:35 PM
It's xyz! is currently offline Click here to Send It's xyz! a Private Message Find more posts by It's xyz! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Quincy
Debaser

That'd be sick if they ended up replacing Ledger's Joker with Mark Hamill.

Sig by Scribble

Old Post Oct 27th, 2009 02:42 PM
Quincy is currently offline Click here to Send Quincy a Private Message Find more posts by Quincy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
I guess it depends on how you define a basic plotline. I found myself watching TDK around as many times as I did Batman Begins, if not more (have 'em both on Blu-Ray).

A matter of opinion obviously, though Hamill himself basically admitted Ledger did a better job as the Joker than he ever could. *shrug* I like to think of him more as Luke.

Also, I like how those who loathed The Dark Knight's success (almost outselling Titanic) claimed Ledger's death to be the only factor that led to it, saying it would've been nothing special (or would've sucked) otherwise, despite all the tremendous hype that was built up before Heath died. Fact is, everyone was expecting a great movie even before his death because of how well Begins was made, and it delivered more than well IMO. Only a small fraction of TDK's success can even be attributed to his death, as far as I'm concerned.

Overall, TDK was one of the only movies/things of today for me that actually lived up to its hype, and that's pretty damn rare... Don't feel the need to go back to your padded room because of me though. stick out tongue

I agree, i think it's a crock when people say the only reason TDK did well was because of Ledger's death. If i am not a fan of batman or ledger then i wouldn't go see the movie just cause it was one of his last roles.

I still think the movie is great today, i took my wife and she isn't all that into superhero stuff and i think she thought it was going to be a typical comic book movie like batman forever or batman and robin. she came out and really enjoyed it because it's done the way it should be as if he is the worlds greatest detective.

Old Post Oct 27th, 2009 04:12 PM
darthmaul1 is currently offline Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

Originally posted by darthmaul1
i think she thought it was going to be a typical comic book movie like batman forever or batman and robin.

Those are typical comic book movies? Batman Forever maybe, but Batman and Robin is just about the bottom of the barrel.

Greg Oden: The future of the Blazers. The future of the NBA.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2009 07:04 PM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

Originally posted by Myth
Those are typical comic book movies? Batman Forever maybe, but Batman and Robin is just about the bottom of the barrel.

Sorry, i shouldn't of used typical i should of put it like this, in her mind she thought it would be colorful and silly like batman forever and batman and robin. or even the old tv series.

Actually not to many of the superhero movies are too silly now, with the exception of the above 2 movies and the watchmen.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2009 09:21 PM
darthmaul1 is currently offline Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
It's xyz!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Spiderman not silly?

Old Post Oct 28th, 2009 09:37 PM
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

TDK is still a freaking fantastic movie. And I'll think the same thing next year and the year after, etc.

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Oct 29th, 2009 02:28 AM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

Originally posted by lord xyz
Spiderman not silly?

Agreed that is silly too.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2009 04:31 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
I enjoyed watching The Dark Knight in the theater 10 times and I continue to enjoy watching every time it comes on hbo, cinemax, starz etc... TDK is simply one of the best films ever made

Pretty much agreed.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2009 12:41 AM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote