KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Batman » Why not Michael Keaton & Billy Dee Williams?

Why not Michael Keaton & Billy Dee Williams?
Started by: C-3POTheClever

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
C-3POTheClever

Why not Michael Keaton & Billy Dee Williams?

In the 1989 Batman film & Batman Returns, Michael Keaton plays Batman, but yet in Batman Forever & Batman & Robin, he's aplayed by someone different. Why is this? Why was the actor changed? Also, in the original Batman film, Billy Dee Williams plays Harvey Dent, but yet, Tommy Lee Jones acts as Two Face in Batman Forever. Why is this? How come they don' use the same actors? Please answer if you know the answer.

Old Post Jul 14th, 2012 10:27 PM
C-3POTheClever is currently offline Click here to Send C-3POTheClever a Private Message Find more posts by C-3POTheClever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Because having Dent still played by a black guy when he wasn't black to begin with would be silly (Nick Fury's like the only exception I can make to that sort of thing), and the Burton/Keaton franchise didn't continue after Returns I think because the parents complained about them being too dark or something stupid like that from what I heard, which resulted in them hiring Schumacher to make Batman a little more kid-friendly, although he did it too much. I don't know, it's been too long now.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2012 12:55 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
C-3POTheClever

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Because having Dent still played by a black guy when he wasn't black to begin with would be silly (Nick Fury's like the only exception I can make to that sort of thing), and the Burton/Keaton franchise didn't continue after Returns I think because the parents complained about them being too dark or something stupid like that from what I heard, which resulted in them hiring Schumacher to make Batman a little more kid-friendly, although he did it too much. I don't know, it's been too long now.

Well, then why did they make Dent black in the first place? If something's started one way, it should continue the same way.

I've heard that BF & BAR are sequels to the Tim Burton films, they're just directed by someone different. That doesn't mean it's rebooted & if it's not rebooted then it should have the same ctor's playing the same peope through out. A couple of them were the same like I think Arthor was the same & Gordan was the same.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2012 03:08 PM
C-3POTheClever is currently offline Click here to Send C-3POTheClever a Private Message Find more posts by C-3POTheClever Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

So you think they should've had Two-Face be black in Batman Forever?

I think Michael Keaton quit after Batman Returns because he knew the series would only turn shit with the direction Schumacher was taking it. You should be glad for him that he didn't make the mistake of a lifetime by playing Batman in B&R like George Clooney did, who was given bad publicity for it for quite awhile despite being a good actor in his own right in previous films..

Old Post Jul 15th, 2012 09:45 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
C-3POTheClever

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
So you think they should've had Two-Face be black in Batman Forever?

I think Michael Keaton quit after Batman Returns because he knew the series would only turn shit with the direction Schumacher was taking it. You should be glad for him that he didn't make the mistake of a lifetime by playing Batman in B&R like George Clooney did, who was given bad publicity for it for quite awhile despite being a good actor in his own right in previous films..

Well, in my opinion; if he was black 2 begin with, he should be black all the way through.

Well, I suppose that's fair enough. Thanks 4 answerng.

Old Post Jul 15th, 2012 09:56 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

Originally posted by C-3POTheClever
Well, then why did they make Dent black in the first place?

Because until the 1970's the big comic companies made comics only for white people, because they thought only white people mattered in the world!

But then they looked around and saw how multicultural North America is, and how people of all races can be fans. So they decided to slowly introduce more multiculturalism in their comic universes, to reflect what they saw modern society had become. While they were doing that, they were looking at the feature films adaptations as a place to do tinkering.
Harvey Dent was a Caucasian man in the comics, but basically his character is racially neutral. So making him Black was harmless. They thought the same way when Michael Clarke Duncan was cast as the Kingpin.
Meanwhile, in the various reboots DC Comics has been performing since COIE in 1985 - plus Marvel's efforts at fresh starts in their Ultimate Universe - more and more characters have gotten rebooted as something other than Caucasian.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Jul 16th, 2012 05:08 AM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
C-3POTheClever

Originally posted by roughrider
Because until the 1970's the big comic companies made comics only for white people, because they thought only white people mattered in the world!

But then they looked around and saw how multicultural North America is, and how people of all races can be fans. So they decided to slowly introduce more multiculturalism in their comic universes, to reflect what they saw modern society had become. While they were doing that, they were looking at the feature films adaptations as a place to do tinkering.
Harvey Dent was a Caucasian man in the comics, but basically his character is racially neutral. So making him Black was harmless. They thought the same way when Michael Clarke Duncan was cast as the Kingpin.
Meanwhile, in the various reboots DC Comics has been performing since COIE in 1985 - plus Marvel's efforts at fresh starts in their Ultimate Universe - more and more characters have gotten rebooted as something other than Caucasian.
That helped. Thanks!

Old Post Jul 16th, 2012 07:55 AM