KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Batman » What do you want to see in the Bat-Reboot?

What do you want to see in the Bat-Reboot?
Started by: JakeTheBank

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
JakeTheBank
Return of the King

What do you want to see in the Bat-Reboot?

While I enjoyed the Nolan films for what they were, I'm looking forward to a more comic-book themed adaptation of Batman, hopefully one that ties in with DC's shared continuity of films. What are some aspects, themes, and characters you'd like to see in the inevitable new Batman film franchise?

Personally, here's a shortlist of my ideas:

1.) Detective Work: Honestly, I felt that while Batman did figure out the plans of the big bad guys in his movies, the detective aspect of Batman was always glossed over in favor of just showcasing him beating the crap out of people. The man is the World's Greatest Detective, not just a martial arts bad ass who scares the crap out of people.

2.) Extended Bat Family: While Batman is often portrayed as a gruff moody loner, fact of the matter is that Batman has a very strong and expansive network of allies, friends, and even people whom he considers family. Ideally, a film series which introduces Dick Grayson, Barbara Gordon, Jason Todd, and Tim Drake at the least, would be awesome.

3.) New Villains: While mainstays like the Joker will likely be expected in the film series, I'd like to see people who haven't been translated on the big screen. I think someone like Hush would be phenomenal to see in a movie, personally. Visually, Clayface would be cool to see as well.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2012 12:32 AM
JakeTheBank is currently offline Click here to Send JakeTheBank a Private Message Find more posts by JakeTheBank Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

More like Arkham.

More details to come.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Aug 9th, 2012 12:57 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthmaul1

I seriously think DC should go the other way with the bat and the justice league, and do a really good CGI like arkham city batman and justice league movie, with all the voices we know and love and get Kevin Conroy to do the bat and Mark Hamill the joker.
instead of doing a live action one.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2012 04:15 PM
darthmaul1 is currently offline Click here to Send darthmaul1 a Private Message Find more posts by darthmaul1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Newjak
I am Beyond Power

Detective Work would be nice for JL movie.

More technology/science based skills: He doesn't necessarily have to invent a ton of stuff but I would like to see him be able for him to be able to fix things take things apart understand a lot of the inner workings of things.

Calculating: Another thing I want to see Batman as is calculating in the way he handles business. Very straight forward, effective, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done.

sig by Rao Kal El

Old Post Aug 9th, 2012 05:55 PM
Newjak is currently offline Click here to Send Newjak a Private Message Find more posts by Newjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Myth
Give me your babies!!!

Bat nipples.

Greg Oden: The future of the Blazers. The future of the NBA.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2012 07:23 PM
Myth is currently offline Click here to Send Myth a Private Message Find more posts by Myth Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

How about just whatever makes Esau Cairn complain?

Old Post Aug 9th, 2012 08:22 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
How about just whatever makes Esau Cairn complain?

cool Happy Dance cool

Old Post Aug 10th, 2012 08:31 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Ok, the 3 most important factors I'd like to see:

A) Keep Batman in the dark. Play on the fact that both crims & innocent people alike regard him as a demon, a larger than life urban myth.

B) CGI his cape in the action scenes. Give it a life of its own not just hang off his shoulders lifelessly. Make him glide with it, use it to buffer & slow down his jumps & leaps. Add the steel tips to whip & draw blood.

C) Don't have too many scenes of Batman standing on the ground. Depending on the other person's height makes Bats appear too short or not muscular enough. Always have him perch somewhere high in the shadows when he's talking to someone.

Am I really asking for much at all?

Old Post Aug 10th, 2012 08:47 AM
Esau Cairn is currently offline Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Re: What do you want to see in the Bat-Reboot?

Originally posted by JakeTheBank

3.) New Villains: While mainstays like the Joker will likely be expected in the film series, I'd like to see people who haven't been translated on the big screen.

Or even a better portrayal for that matter

that only leaves Mr Freeze and Poison Ivy.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2012 09:08 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Am I really asking for much at all?
I think so. Things like that can work in a comic book, where panels only show like 25% of an actual event. Not so well in a movie.

- - - -

The only things I'd really like to see in a new Batman movie are things that will help him translate into a JLA film- that means that the "fantastical" aspect of his character needs to be fleshed out. I want to see Batman the super-slueth showing Sherlock Holmes-level detective skills. I want to see Batman invent a whole bunch of cool gadgets and use them to do shit. I don't mind a little bit of cheese in that regard- when you're surrounded by superbeings who can fly, lift tanks, and talk in space, cheese will be inevitable.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Aug 10th, 2012 09:19 AM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Originally posted by Tzeentch._
Things like that can work in a comic book, where panels only show like 25% of an actual event. Not so well in a movie.

I agree with you there...however some of the most dramatic scenes in Begins & Rises happened when you actually didn't see Batman but knew he was there, in the dark. In Begins at the cargo dock & Rises in the sewers before facing Bane.

So I do believe that one comic book panel can easily be translated into one dramatic scene on film.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2012 02:25 AM
Mr. Rhythmic

Beyond
Beyond
Beyond
Beyond
Beyond

Did I mention Beyond yet?

Old Post Aug 11th, 2012 06:58 PM
Mr. Rhythmic is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Rhythmic a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Rhythmic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

a good story..

have him fight during the day as well as the night

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Aug 15th, 2012 03:05 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
a good story..

have him fight during the day as well as the night

Ah yes, Bruce Wayne...The Late Afternoon Knight.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2012 05:57 AM
Bouboumaster

I want Batman: The Long Halloween to be a big ass 3 hours long movie.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2012 01:38 AM
Bouboumaster is currently offline Click here to Send Bouboumaster a Private Message Find more posts by Bouboumaster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spidermanrocks

Regardless of what we each want to see in the reboot, I think every single one of us can agree the reboot should have the following with no exceptions:

1) A Batman that uses detective skills. Though they touched on his detective skills once in a while in the movies, they never fully explored them. The reboot should do that. It should show to everyone (including non-comic readers) that Bats is the world's greatest detective.

2) A Batman that is as fluid as he is in the comics. He has been too slow in the movies up till now. It's time to get a Batman that can jump from building to building, land on his feet with no damage, etc. He should be able to move and fight like in the Arkham games or like how Black Widow and Hawkeye do in The Avengers.

3) A Batman suit that is just like the comics. No more bulky/rubber crap. Give him the fabric suit (yes, it is made of fabric; not tights/spandex like a lot of people assume) from the comics minus the underwear. Do it similar to the suit in the Arkham games or to this (http://i.imgur.com/YnoxX.jpg) and it will be fine. You can have certain parts of his suit have rubber/armor but it should mostly be made of a fabric material.

4) Have a few shots where Batman's cape is covering him fully with the cape over his shoulders. Similar to this: http://monstercutie.com/wp-content/...ilhouette01.jpg
It would be great seeing that silhouette done right in live-action big grin.

So can we all agree all these things should be in the reboot? smile

Last edited by spidermanrocks on Aug 17th, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Old Post Aug 17th, 2012 10:28 PM
spidermanrocks is currently offline Click here to Send spidermanrocks a Private Message Find more posts by spidermanrocks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by spidermanrocks
Regardless of what we each want to see in the reboot, I think every single one of us can agree the reboot should have the following with no exceptions:

1) A Batman that uses detective skills. Though they touched on his detective skills once in a while in the movies, they never fully explored them. The reboot should do that. It should show to everyone (including non-comic readers) that Bats is the world's greatest detective.

2) A Batman that is as fluid as he is in the comics. He has been too slow in the movies up till now. It's time to get a Batman that can jump from building to building, land on his feet with no damage, etc. He should be able to move and fight like in the Arkham games or like how Black Widow and Hawkeye do in The Avengers.

3) A Batman suit that is just like the comics. No more bulky/rubber crap. Give him the fabric suit (yes, it is made of fabric; not tights/spandex like a lot of people assume) from the comics minus the underwear. Do it similar to the suit in the Arkham games or to this (http://i.imgur.com/YnoxX.jpg) and it will be fine. You can have certain parts of his suit have rubber/armor but it should mostly be made of a fabric material.

4) Have a few shots where Batman's cape is covering him fully with the cape over his shoulders. Similar to this: http://monstercutie.com/wp-content/...ilhouette01.jpg
It would be great seeing that silhouette done right in live-action big grin.

So can we all agree all these things should be in the reboot? smile

Well yeah. I think it'd be crazy not to.

===================

I wonder how hard it would be to bring comic batman, considering that the animated movies have done it so well.

i mean sure, they're animated, but the principle should be something similar in terms of writing/directing.

They'd probably just have to use a bit more cgi to show him at his most athletic.

oh, and he should do regular sherlock scans.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Aug 17th, 2012 10:34 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Originally posted by -Pr-
[B]
They'd probably just have to use a bit more cgi to show him at his most athletic.

My feelings exactly.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2012 01:51 AM
spidermanrocks

DC should do what Marvel is doing and hire comic book writers for their movies. If that happens, I think Scott Snyder would be a great choice as the writer for the reboot. He pretty much includes every aspect of the Batman character in his work, appeals to all types of Batman fans, and his stories have that epic cinema blockbuster feel that the Nolan movies had as well.

I also don't want to see just another Batman vs. villain story that is about Batman's first encounter with that villain. There should be multiple villains already established like in the Arkham games. You can start the movie with a 5 - 10 minute fight between Batman and Riddler (or any other villain) that ends with Batman taking Riddler back to Arkham or something like that.

Originally posted by -Pr-
I wonder how hard it would be to bring comic batman, considering that the animated movies have done it so well.

They can start by getting an actor that can alter his voice while being Batman but still sounding natural at the same time, like Kevin Conroy thumb up. Nothing against the Bale though. I liked him as Batman but the voice was always an issue (minus in most of Begins).

Last edited by spidermanrocks on Aug 18th, 2012 at 03:58 AM

Old Post Aug 18th, 2012 03:52 AM
spidermanrocks is currently offline Click here to Send spidermanrocks a Private Message Find more posts by spidermanrocks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bat Dude
In God I Trust

In a reboot for the series, what I would want to see is Batman back where he works best and ultimately where he belongs: In a never-changing 1940s world. Gangsters in pinstripes and fedoras, tommy guns, cigars and pipes, etc.

Villain-wise, I would still want to see the Joker, Two-Face and Catwoman at some point, but Black Mask, Scarface, and etc. should definitely appear. A mob war movie between Black Mask, Scarface and a rebooted Penguin would be awesome. Possibly even an appearance by a certain Year Two villain that I had been pimping around the boards in the past? wink

And Robin has to appear at some point. Yes, I agree that Batman works best as a loner, but the father-son relationship between Wayne and Grayson would, if done right, finally validate the Robin character on film. Plus, the point of Robin was to give the younger audience someone to relate to. And I could imagine a Spidey-esque Robin being a wisecracking little sh... well, you know.

The suit would be fabric, pretty much looking like this (obviously based on the Captain America suit from The Avengers): http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/56...8dfh2dfcopy.jpg

Not only does it look badass, but it would allow for more athletic displays throughout the movie because it would be so much lighter and less restricting on movement.

The cape would not only be able to make bat wing silhouettes like in the previous films...
http://www.beyondhollywood.com/posterx/batman1.jpg

...but it would also be able to wrap around the actor 360 degrees, like in the comics:
http://goodcomics.comicbookresource...412-page-20.jpg

The cowl would be based on the 1939 Batman. An example of what it might look like can be seen here: http://theleagueofheroes.yuku.com/t...ml#.UC-9M91mRMQ

Much of this stems from my own personal preferences for the Batman, which I promise one day I'll devote an entire thread to my designs and musings of the Batman universe, but for now, that's kind of an idea of what I'd like to see on film in a reboot.

Old Post Aug 18th, 2012 11:07 PM
Bat Dude is currently offline Click here to Send Bat Dude a Private Message Find more posts by Bat Dude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote