KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » General Fiction Area » Star Trek: Pioneer - Eclipse's Shadow

Star Trek: Pioneer - Eclipse's Shadow
Started by: SpikeSpiegel

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
SpikeSpiegel
Swimming Bird

Star Trek: Pioneer - Eclipse's Shadow

Please do not post comments in this thread, if you have anything to say please PM it to me.
STAR TREK
PIONEER
ECLIPSE’S SHADOW

I'm not going there to die. I'm going there to see if I really am alive.
Check my Bio for my stories [Last Updated - 27th July 2008]

Old Post Apr 1st, 2008 06:00 PM
SpikeSpiegel is currently offline Click here to Send SpikeSpiegel a Private Message Find more posts by SpikeSpiegel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SpikeSpiegel
Swimming Bird

ONE

THREE YEARS AGO…
U.S.S. Chimera, THE BATTLE OF CARDASSIA

“Shields are at 47%” Lieutenant Jackson shouted over the sirens of the red alert.
“Lock all phasers onto the closest Dominion ship you can find” Commander Maxwell Kolt shouted back.
The ship rocked with the force of another phaser blast to the shields, under the pressure of the situation only Lieutenant Jackson would know who had fired it by looking at the tactical console in front of him. Yet he stayed quiet, he knew it wouldn’t matter in this situation. The ship rocked again, shields were down to 19%.
“We’re getting butchered out here” Kolt said to the captain in a calm tone, it seemed odd in such a tense situation, but seventeen years in Starfleet had taught him to keep a level head despite the situation. Despite the calmness of his voice, his body was as tense as everyone else on the ship, his hands clenched tightly onto the arm rests of his chair.
On the viewscreen a Cardassian warship that had lost power to its engines had changed course to ram the Akira-class ship. Jackson was already on it, his hands moved quickly over the console in front of him and three of the ships forward phaser banks let loose on the ship. A torpedo launched from the Chimera’s torpedo bay. The combination of weapons fire was too much for the already weak warship. The Cardassian ship exploded outwards silently. Part of the ship’s hull bounced off the Chimera’s shields.
“Good work, Lieutenant,” Captain Woods said, clenching onto the arm rests of his own chair as the ship shook again under the latest hit to the ship, “If we get out of this there may be a promotion in it for you.” The captain was one of the most loved in Starfleet, he could always be relied on to lighten the mood when the situation was too tough to handle.
“As much as I’d appreciate that, sir, shields are down to 7%” Jackson replied, despite the sombre events, his voice still held a hint of humour behind it.
On the viewscreen a Galaxy-class starship exploded under the pressure of a Jem’Hadar ship’s attack, which made the ninth Starfleet ship that they had seen destroyed since the battle started. A phaser blast hit the Chimera. Shields were down, the bridge shook, throwing Kolt and Woods out of their command chairs, the helm console exploded, sending the helmsman flying back across the bridge. Jackson held onto the tactical console, keeping himself upright. Kolt rubbed him face, wiping sweat off his brow, he pushed himself up off the floor and moved to the helm. He knew there was no point in checking the helmsman’s pulse, he would be dead.
Another phaser blast hit the ship’s now exposed hull. This time Kolt had a firm grip of the helm. The viewscreen flickered on and off for a few seconds. Captain Woody, rolled over on the floor, he gripped hold of his chair and heaved himself up off the floor. “Lieutenant Jackson, open fire on that ship, target its weapons.” Blood ran down his face from a cut on his head, the doctor would heal it up later, providing there was a later.
Jackson did as he was told, but also reported on the status of the ship, “Sir, we’ve got hull breaches on decks four through seven, containment shields are holding.” Jackson pressed several mode buttons on his console, all weapons locked onto the Jem’Hadar ship, the viewscreen showed several phaser bursts emit from the Chimera and fired towards the Jem’Hadar’s attack vessel. The first three blasts missed the ship, the next four hit the vessel around its external weapons array.
“Good shooting Lieutenant, definitely worthy of a promotion. Now, Commander, try and get us out of the thick of things, without shields we’re pretty much dead here.”
“Aye sir,” Kolt replied, his hands moving quickly over the console. In the first three years he had been in Starfleet after graduating from the academy, he had been one of the best pilots in the whole Federation, then he had transferred to security, before transferring to Starfleet Intelligence four years before the war had begun.
A photon torpedo hit the underside of the saucer section of the Chimera, the tactical console exploded, burning Jackson’s face in the process, he let out a blood curling scream as he fell to the floor, dead. The Captain flew from his chair a third time, as a metal girder fell from the roof of the bridge, crushing the Captain’s leg in the process. Kolt’s grip on the helm loosened as he too was thrown to the floor.
Kolt raised himself from the floor again. Time seemed to slow down as he looked around the chaos of the bridge, steam filled the room from various destroyed consoles, and the viewscreen’s monitor was destroyed, revealing the hologrid behind. Kolt looked at the Captain who had slipped into unconscious. His hand went to the pulse on the Captain’s neck, there was none. One more hit and the ship would be destroyed. Kolt thought quickly, trying to find some way out of the situation, his hand went for the combadge on his breast. He tapped it twice.
“This is Commander Kolt to all crewmembers, abandon ship, I repeat, abandon ship. You have one minute!” Kolt moved back to the helm, “Computer, this is commander Kolt, initiate self-destruct, one minute countdown, authorisation Kolt 27 theta pie.” The Captain had set up the auto-destruct to be initiated by any of the senior officers should the need arise during the battle.
Kolt’s hands moved quickly over the helm, plotting a course for an area with a one Jem’Hadar warship, with damaged weapons and two Breen attack ships. The ship was doomed either way, either the enemy would blow it up before it reached them, or the self destruct would take care of it. Kolt just had to hope that the enemy wouldn’t classify the ship as too serious of a threat and would overestimate Kolt’s plan.
The ship drew closer, Kolt estimated that the ship would be in position within twenty seconds. There was no chance he would have to escape. He was the only officer left on the bridge, and he hoped on the ship. He gripped onto the helm, eyes transfixed on the readout. The readout suddenly disappeared in a blue blur of a transporter matter stream, as Kolt was beamed off the ship at the last second.
Several feelings spun around in his head. He was relieved that he had somehow survived the attack, yet he was also confused as to how. The transporter room appeared to be one from a Defiant-class ship. “Welcome aboard sir. That was a close one” the transporter chief said from his console, the ship appeared relatively undamaged. A medical team moved up onto the transporter pads, and behind Kolt to his deceased shipmates, they would try their best to revive them, but Kolt didn’t hold much hope for them. Somehow, while the rest had died, he had survived.

Last edited by SpikeSpiegel on Apr 1st, 2008 at 06:04 PM

Old Post Apr 1st, 2008 06:02 PM
SpikeSpiegel is currently offline Click here to Send SpikeSpiegel a Private Message Find more posts by SpikeSpiegel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jedireaper
PSN ID > DarkJedireaper

Comment(s): Wow! I've watched, read and written Star Trek and I have to say that this was a rather excellent start point. I cant wait for chapter 1 if I take it that that was a prelude. Anyway, I loved this piece. Please continue this as soon as you can.

-Jedireaper

Oops! Sorry dude too late to delete. Sorry. I'll PM you my other comments. sad

A long time have I waited for this, my little green friend!

Last edited by Jedireaper on Apr 24th, 2008 at 11:33 PM

Old Post Apr 24th, 2008 11:27 PM
Jedireaper is currently offline Click here to Send Jedireaper a Private Message Find more posts by Jedireaper Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SpikeSpiegel
Swimming Bird

TWO

NOW…
Starfleet Headquarters, California

Maxwell Kolt swept his hand through his short brown hair. He sat outside the corridor to Admiral Cross’s office, surveying the surroundings. Starfleet headquarters was beginning to regain its former glory. Since the Breen attack in the final year of the Dominion War, repairs had been underway.

Kolt was nervous, this was the first time since the end of the war that he had been back to Earth. Once the war was over, and he had spent a short time in therapy over losing most of his friends in the war on the planet of Risa, Kolt had returned to Starfleet Intelligence. Now, he felt that it was time to return to space. Although he had only spent seven years on a starship during his nineteen years in Starfleet, his experience in Starfleet Intelligence had led to him being promoted quickly. Now, in large part to a favour from the head of Starfleet Intelligence, he was being promoted to Captain. This meeting at Starfleet was to determine what ship he would receive.

“Maxwell Kolt?” A woman’s voice asked from his left, bringing Kolt out of his thoughts.

Max stood up tall, and straightened his uniform. He smiled at the woman and followed her through to the Admiral’s office. Kolt was a tall man, just shy of six and a half feet tall. His eyes shone the green of a diamond. His face seemed older, worn by the war, and his constant days undercover for Starfleet Intelligence. His brown goatee was beginning to show a small sign of greyness at the edges of his lips, as were the edges of his temples. He kept his eyes straight on the door to the Admiral’s office at the end of the corridor, only taking his eyes off it to nod in gratitude to the woman, as she opened the door for him.

Admiral Cross sat at the desk, reading something off one of several PADD’s that lay across his desk. He had enjoyed the richness of the life of an admiral, and had a heavy build about him. His head was bald on top, with thick white hair around the edge. His eyes were grey, and his nose oddly damaged from a break in the past. It seemed odd to Kolt that one would have a disfigurement in such a day and age; a doctor could easily repair it. However, Kolt knew another man in Starfleet who sported a large scar down his cheek, refusing to have it regenerated, as it reminded him of his past.
Cross didn’t raise his eyes from the PADD as he spoke, “Maxwell Kolt, born the fourth of July, 2339. Graduated from Starfleet Academy in 2361, where you then served for three years on the USS. Lancaster as a helmsman, before transferring to security. You served as a security officer for the following two years, gaining promotion to the rank of Lieutenant, and then were recruited by Starfleet Intelligence, performing a number of highly classified missions in the run up to the war with the Dominion. You were then recalled off an assignment in order to support the war, where you served as a Lieutenant Commander, and Executive Officer on the USS Chimera. Following the war you spent three months on Risa, and returned to active duty for Starfleet Intelligence, where you made enough of an impression for them to bother me enough to give you a Captaincy.” Cross sighed and placed the PADD on his desk. He clasped his hands together and leant forwards.

Kolt stood to attention, his hands behind his back, and stood tall. He had expected to be put “at ease” but the order had never come.
“I don’t like being told what to do.” Cross continued, “and I like people who manipulate the system to get what they want…”

“Sir…” Kolt began, he felt compelled to set the record straight, he didn’t care what others thought of him, but when his future was being decided, he felt that the truth should be taken into priority. Cross however, cut him off.

“…nor do I like being interrupted. I don’t care what you have to say for yourself. Starfleet Intelligence does send it’s men on the toughest of missions, so obviously you can handle yourself. Yet it is my opinion that you don’t have enough experience of commanding a Starship during a time of peace. Commanding during the war requires a different tact to that of commanding a starship at other times.”

“Sir…” Kolt once more tried to interject, and was once more cut off. This was beginning to irk him. Although he respected the chain of command, he also believed that the chain of command should respect those below, and listen to their views.

“…luckily for you, Starfleet Intelligence has a lot of hold here, and can make things happen. So I am compelled to give you your command. However…” Cross said with a small smirk appearing over his face, “I’m the one who gets to choose what ship you’re the captain of. With that in mind I have chosen to give you command over the USS Pioneer, a new Nova Class ship. The majority of the crew are being transferred from the Edison. You will, however, be given the liberty of choosing a new Chief Engineer and a head of security. The mission is to head to the Odessa 4 sector, to study their nebulas.” Cross smiled up at Kolt, “anything to say?”

Kolt mentally bit his lip, he would have loved to say what was on him mind, but he knew the best way to beat the Admiral was psychologically, the same was the Admiral was trying to beat him. “No sir, that sounds perfect. When does the ship leave dry dock?” Kolt managed to bring it off with full sincerity, he could see the Admiral’s face frown for a fraction of a second, enough to let him know that he had won the battle. However, the war was going to be a lot tougher. As the ship knew one another, already, a new captain, who had little experience on a starship and had seemingly gained command through a favour would displease a lot of people. Kolt had an idea of how he could make it easier, it just depended on the right man being available for the job.

Old Post May 7th, 2008 03:01 PM