KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Horror Movies » What's the difference?

What's the difference?
Started by: FEDFAN316

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
That ACDC Chick
All That Noiz

Worried What's the difference?

i was owndering,what do you think is the difference between thrillers and horrors?just a question.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2004 05:25 AM
That ACDC Chick is currently offline Click here to Send That ACDC Chick a Private Message Find more posts by That ACDC Chick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
zombieman
The Undead

Thrillers thrill you, horrors horrify you. Bloody stupid question if you ask me.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2004 12:45 PM
zombieman is currently offline Click here to Send zombieman a Private Message Find more posts by zombieman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

One take on it:

Thrillers work the movie, building up to a major finding or turn of events in the plot with about 15-20 minutes remaining. Then the next 10-15 minutes play off of that, usually resulting in some sort of dynamic finish involving the death of the character in which the major finding was about.

Horrors usually feature a being (human or non-human) responsible for repeated torment (i.e. death) of an individual or numerous individuals. The film will usually culmulate in the death or destruction of that being. Exceptions to this last statement are films where a sequel is evident (like Freddy vs. Jason, even though they did "destroy" each other).

To sum up, the "major finding" for Thrillers is usually an emergence of an event late into the picture which takes the "ride" to a whole new level. Good example of this is No Way Out.

"Major finding" for Horrors is usually an emergence of some method or process to stop the tormentor. Unfortunately, the realism is usually thrown out the window because it's usually the stupid kids in the movie that figure out how to do it. Most horror movies usually end in disappointing fashion but there are some very good ones. Example of this is Nightmare on Elm Street.
Contradiction to this explanation is Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Listen, there are many ways to answer your question, I just feel this was one of them.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2004 02:40 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
That ACDC Chick
All That Noiz

okay,i think i got it now.kind of.and zombieman,WHO ASKED YOU?

Old Post Jul 19th, 2004 03:36 PM
That ACDC Chick is currently offline Click here to Send That ACDC Chick a Private Message Find more posts by That ACDC Chick Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
botankus
Bass-ackwards

quote:
Originally posted by zombieman
Thrillers thrill you, horrors horrify you. Bloody stupid question if you ask me.

Fatal Attraction is a thriller, and it horrified many.

Evil Dead 2 is a horror, and it thrilled many.

Not coincidentally, both of those are from 1987, the best year ever for movies IMO.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2004 04:01 PM
botankus is currently offline Click here to Send botankus a Private Message Find more posts by botankus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Zombieman, do you think this is a stupid question?

Old Post Jul 19th, 2004 04:50 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

quote:
Originally posted by FEDFAN316
and zombieman,WHO ASKED YOU?

I did, just now, scroll up.

BTW, "Spiceworld" thrilled many Brits, but horrified alot of Americans.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2004 04:51 PM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sandman
There is no Spork

Thrillers usually can possibly happen in the reality

Horror usually can't

made by DarkWeaver

Old Post Jul 19th, 2004 05:12 PM
sandman is currently offline Click here to Send sandman a Private Message Find more posts by sandman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
zombieman
The Undead

Yeah I do think it is a stupid question, Ok my reply could have gone into more detail and been a lot more constructive but I didn't see the need because i've never had any problem telling a thriller from a horror.

Old Post Jul 20th, 2004 01:44 PM
zombieman is currently offline Click here to Send zombieman a Private Message Find more posts by zombieman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote